Do you really need to ask that question? :wink:

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:02 pm

I have a PS2. I tried to play Kingdom Hearts, many yonder years ago, but the disk I got from Blockbuster was scratched. I started with KH2, instead, and went on a 13 hour marathon on my second day, beating the game.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:05 pm

they still work on a ps3... so just get one of those instead
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
X-reX
level1
level1

Postby X-reX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 am

Xocrates wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:"Blatant cash-ins"

Ah, thanks, that was the term I was looking for!

Anyway, I don't really have anything against commercial/mainstream/unoriginal games as long as they're well done, but I feel originality can compensate a lot of flaws and although I'll admit on willingly falling for blantant cash-ins on occasion, since I'm usually vastly unimpressed with most stuff coming out (although I admit that I currently have an exceptionally long list) even if I buy more commercial games than indie games a year, I usually paid more for the indies.

What flaws are you talking about?
I'm actually interested to know because I love Uplink. (its my favorite game from Introvision)

My opinion about commercial games is - 'keep it fun' - as long as a game is good,
I don't think it matters how much advertisement it has, a good game is good regardless of the size of its fan-base. (the same goes the other way also, for I'd-rather-spend-a-whole-day-feeding-a-cow-then-play-this games)
However I think that some indie games deserve more credit. And when I say credit, I mean public recognition.
A good example for this is Cave Story, if anyone heard about it, designed and made completely by a single person, and one of the best games I have ever played - especially in Hard Mode.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:09 pm

X-reX wrote:What flaws are you talking about?
I'm actually interested to know because I love Uplink. (its my favorite game from Introvision)

The ones that come immediately to mind are the fact that the game is impossible to learn without a guide and repetitive once you know how to complete every mission.
X-reX
level1
level1

Postby X-reX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Xocrates wrote:The ones that come immediately to mind are the fact that the game is impossible to learn without a guide and repetitive once you know how to complete every mission.

Well, I didn't have any problem learning how to play at all stages, but it is repetitive at some point - you're right.
Although I like the fact that you have to decide which software and hardware upgrades to get, and figure out stuff in order to advance. Quest like, I like quests.
The voice recording part for example is really fun. Finding the phone number and similar stuff. B)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 pm

Xocrates, I learned Uplink just fine by experimenting. I seriously don't see how a guide is a necessity. Remember, the people who write those things have had to learn it themselves once too. :wink:

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 pm

cd usr
delete
cd sys
delete
shutdown

How the hell was I supposed to figure that out?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Well, you know, experience with all sorts of OSes. :P

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Knowing that the folders exist:

dir

Knowing that it's dir:

help

Knowing that you delete the system files and then shut down:

Bitter experience.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:53 pm

X-reX wrote:However I think that some indie games deserve more credit. And when I say credit, I mean public recognition.
A good example for this is Cave Story, if anyone heard about it, designed and made completely by a single person, and one of the best games I have ever played - especially in Hard Mode.

I maybe be wrong but I'm pretty sure Cave Story is one of the most well known indie games, at least it's hardly unheard of considering it tops this list. I do agree that it is an absolutely fantastic game and deserves any and all recognition it can get, just like Dwarf Fortress (even though it's in alpha and only 27% complete and has about 300 bugs unsolved.)
X-reX
level1
level1

Postby X-reX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Xocrates wrote:
cd usr
delete
cd sys
delete
shutdown

How the hell was I supposed to figure that out?

I wrote 'help', but I have to admit I had some previous knowledge. (I knew cd and dir)

vanarbulax wrote:I maybe be wrong but I'm pretty sure Cave Story is one of the most well known indie games, at least it's hardly unheard of considering it tops this list. I do agree that it is an absolutely fantastic game and deserves any and all recognition it can get, just like Dwarf Fortress (even though it's in alpha and only 27% complete and has about 300 bugs unsolved.)

It might be well known, but that's only true if you compare it to other indie games, and thats exactly what bugs me.
Thanks for the link, this site looks nice, I recognize a few games there I know. I'm going to scout over that list soon.
About Dwarf Fortress, I think it's made too complicated. I didn't figure out how to play exactly and gave up because of all the strange things on the screen.
It's hard like trying to realize what the green letters mean in The Matrix.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 pm

X-reX wrote: I didn't figure out how to play exactly and gave up because of all the strange things on the screen.
It's hard like trying to realize what the green letters mean in The Matrix.

It's common knowledge amongst dwarf fortress player that it's hard at first but after a couple of weeks you start to see past the matrix. I like to think of it more as learning a language at first you have to keep checking the dictionary (the k key to get info on something an the wiki to work out what to do) but soon you learn all the common words (or symbols) and you start to be able to translate without going to a dictionary. A while after that you stop translating and start thinking in the language instead of saying "okay that's a grey k which means kobold let me try and the blue @ symbols which are guards" you start to just see it and go "kobold" and send out the guards. But that's if you spend way to much time on it (like me).
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Though Dwarf Fortress seems like an interesting game, the text only graphics also throw me off. NetHack at least has graphical front-ends, while the most I saw for DF were custom textures.
Since I didn't see an easy way to use them, and I usually get lost in open-ended games, I didn't even install it.

Instead, I've been having a lot of fun with Knytt Stories. :)
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Oooooo, not played Knytt Stories yet. Knytt and Within a Deep Forest were awesome, however.

Edit - Oh wait, yeah I have.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.

Return to “Introversion Blog”