My first week @ Introversion

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Rkiver wrote:Sort of like EA Sport Game 2009 Version 6billion?

I dislike those games intently.

I like games that are different and try something new.

I also like random shooty sploder and RTS mania.

:roll:

Umm.. in a previous life I *ahem*... gulp.... did a bit of work on NHL 2005 and FIFA 2005 for EA.... it's okay though because I am off the medication now and the doctor says the psychotic incidents should diminish given time and lots of hugs - hugs I have to admit Leander is unwilling to administer!
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 pm

martin wrote:says Icepick?

anyway, when did he say that?

In what is currently the multiwinia beta testers only forum.
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Byron wrote:

Umm.. in a previous life I *ahem*... gulp.... did a bit of work on NHL 2005 and FIFA 2005 for EA.... it's okay though because I am off the medication now and the doctor says the psychotic incidents should diminish given time and lots of hugs - hugs I have to admit Leander is unwilling to administer!

Anyway - enough of me hi-jacking Martins blog :D

Martin is a great guy - he helped me to pull a fantastic prank on the IV people one lunch time that caused poor Vic to propel herself across the room in fright. Don't ask any questions about what the prank was cause I can't tell you - yet.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:34 pm

"Blatant cash-ins" is so much shorter and more honest than "commercial games". Discuss.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:05 am

Mas Tnega wrote:"Blatant cash-ins"

Ah, thanks, that was the term I was looking for!

Anyway, I don't really have anything against commercial/mainstream/unoriginal games as long as they're well done, but I feel originality can compensate a lot of flaws and although I'll admit on willingly falling for blantant cash-ins on occasion, since I'm usually vastly unimpressed with most stuff coming out (although I admit that I currently have an exceptionaly long list) even if I buy more commercial games than indie games a year, I usually paid more for the indies.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 am

Byron wrote:
Rkiver wrote:Sort of like EA Sport Game 2009 Version 6billion?

I dislike those games intently.

I like games that are different and try something new.

I also like random shooty sploder and RTS mania.

/me gets Byron a straight-jacket, so that he can hug himself all day long!

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 am

Welcome Mr. Spacestation Man ;) Looks like you'll fit right in here. :lol:

And for the record, I agree with ynbniar - there's got to be something special about a game, some kind of hook, to really draw me in. I don't necessarily mean a "USP" like all these identical FPS games which are churned out by the dozen, such as "OMG you can throw two grenades at once!! UNIQUE!!! BUY THIS!!!!!" but something really special to draw me in and, well, make me happy.

Everyday Shooter is a good example, the music is really neat, and makes me smile and want to play more. I've just finished playing the Phoenix Wright series, as I've discussed elsewhere in the forums, and the characters and dialogue (awful grammar/spelling aside) were so charming and witty that I enjoyed every moment, even when the game logic completely threw me and I had to go hunt through a FAQ. I'm currently playing The World Ends With You, which is a surprisingly fantastic DS RPG with some incredible art and music, and a many neat gameplay ideas. Surprising because it's made by the Kingdom Hearts team ;)

I guess, having played games since I was old enough not to lose my grip on a joystick (no seriously, I think I was playing Pac-Man at some ridiculous age like 4), I too am an old fogey when it comes to games. I've seen it all before, so I crave something new and unique.

...and of course, Introversion have provided unique games in the past, and will continue to do so for many years to come :)
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:12 am

Oh bloody hell, I go away for a day and come back to a three-page blog topic/reply session. tl;dr

Welcome, welcome Mr. Martin ... Hope, is it?

I'll follow up with more insight later ... perhaps.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:03 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Hey! KH is practically the only reason I regret not ever having bought a Playstation. It's an awesome game!

Jelco

*slaps Jelco* practically the only reason for not getting a PS2! Forgetting Ico ans Shadow of the Colossus are we, or do they just go without saying?
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:02 pm

I have a PS2. I tried to play Kingdom Hearts, many yonder years ago, but the disk I got from Blockbuster was scratched. I started with KH2, instead, and went on a 13 hour marathon on my second day, beating the game.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:05 pm

they still work on a ps3... so just get one of those instead
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
X-reX
level1
level1

Postby X-reX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 am

Xocrates wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:"Blatant cash-ins"

Ah, thanks, that was the term I was looking for!

Anyway, I don't really have anything against commercial/mainstream/unoriginal games as long as they're well done, but I feel originality can compensate a lot of flaws and although I'll admit on willingly falling for blantant cash-ins on occasion, since I'm usually vastly unimpressed with most stuff coming out (although I admit that I currently have an exceptionally long list) even if I buy more commercial games than indie games a year, I usually paid more for the indies.

What flaws are you talking about?
I'm actually interested to know because I love Uplink. (its my favorite game from Introvision)

My opinion about commercial games is - 'keep it fun' - as long as a game is good,
I don't think it matters how much advertisement it has, a good game is good regardless of the size of its fan-base. (the same goes the other way also, for I'd-rather-spend-a-whole-day-feeding-a-cow-then-play-this games)
However I think that some indie games deserve more credit. And when I say credit, I mean public recognition.
A good example for this is Cave Story, if anyone heard about it, designed and made completely by a single person, and one of the best games I have ever played - especially in Hard Mode.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:09 pm

X-reX wrote:What flaws are you talking about?
I'm actually interested to know because I love Uplink. (its my favorite game from Introvision)

The ones that come immediately to mind are the fact that the game is impossible to learn without a guide and repetitive once you know how to complete every mission.
X-reX
level1
level1

Postby X-reX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Xocrates wrote:The ones that come immediately to mind are the fact that the game is impossible to learn without a guide and repetitive once you know how to complete every mission.

Well, I didn't have any problem learning how to play at all stages, but it is repetitive at some point - you're right.
Although I like the fact that you have to decide which software and hardware upgrades to get, and figure out stuff in order to advance. Quest like, I like quests.
The voice recording part for example is really fun. Finding the phone number and similar stuff. B)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 pm

cd usr
delete
cd sys
delete
shutdown

How the hell was I supposed to figure that out?

Return to “Introversion Blog”