old topics being bumped *question*

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:23 am

vanarbulax wrote:
Pox wrote:
xander wrote:
sfericz wrote:We are still God fearing humans...

I'm not.

xander

Me neither. Stop making me look like a sheep, sfericz. :P

Me 2!

*Commits seppuku for the dual sins of "ME 2" post and quote pyramid*

The situation is far worse than we thought, God fearing aliens...

*Locks himself in the basement with a shotgun*
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:42 am

For anyone who wonders why communities are so hard on those who don't type properly, you only need look at this thread and the poster concerned to see why. These people are generally not going to be productive members of the community and are often quite the opposite.

On the original topic, bumping is generally fine as long as something is added (as has been said). It is also better that the poster doing the bumping acknowledge that he is bumping a thread by apologizing ahead of the time (e.g. "Sorry for the bump, but. . .").
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:48 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:(e.g. "Sorry for the bump, but. . .")

In a recent "class" on being a more effective communicator, it was once again pointed out to me that one should refrain from using "but" as in the above example. I'm sure at least some of you here already know that "but" acts as an eraser, essentially making the apology non-existent. :P
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:

In a recent "class" on being a more effective communicator, it was once again pointed out to me that one should refrain from using "but" as in the above example. I'm sure at least some of you here already know that "but" acts as an eraser, essentially making the apology non-existent. :P

Heh, it doesn't so much erase as lessen, which is part of the intent. The apology is such a case is not meant so much as an apology as it is a recognition of something. In this case all you are doing is demonstrating you recognize your post is bumping the thread. Just the fact of this recognition can save you from other people calling you out since you are at least aware of your actions.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:43 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:

Heh, it doesn't so much erase as lessen, which is part of the intent. The apology is such a case is not meant so much as an apology as it is a recognition of something. In this case all you are doing is demonstrating you recognize your post is bumping the thread. Just the fact of this recognition can save you from other people calling you out since you are at least aware of your actions.

Well, ignoring the :P in my other post for just a moment, I think you made my point for me. How so? Well, if it's meant as recognition of one's actions rather than a true apology, then it should be stated as such and not put in apologetic form. Therefore, the "but" does in fact erase the apology because it wasn't really there in the first place. :P

In short, replace "Sorry for the bump, but..." with "I know this thread is old and bumping may seem unnecessary, however I'd like you to consider..." or some variation thereof. :P

I rest my case. :lol:
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 am

A simple "Sorry for bumping this thread. [Insert useful input]" would suffice. A but implies that you don't consider what you said to be valid. A simple sorry on its own is recognition that you are doing something which shouldn't normally do, it is then up to the reader to decide if it was worth it or not (And then flame is need be).
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I think you made my point for me. How so? Well, if it's meant as recognition of one's actions rather than a true apology, then it should be stated as such and not put in apologetic form. Therefore, the "but" does in fact erase the apology because it wasn't really there in the first place.

False or preemptive apologies are quite common in Western culture. I don't see any problem with using them in this way.

Ace Rimmer wrote:In short, replace "Sorry for the bump, but..." with "I know this thread is old and bumping may seem unnecessary, however I'd like you to consider..." or some variation thereof.

You could say that but it is rather long-winded.

vanarbulax wrote:A simple "Sorry for bumping this thread. [Insert useful input]" would suffice. A but implies that you don't consider what you said to be valid. A simple sorry on its own is recognition that you are doing something which shouldn't normally do, it is then up to the reader to decide if it was worth it or not (And then flame is need be).

I think that's part of the point. You wouldn't be bumping the thread if you thought you were wrong to do so. Thus the apology isn't really an apology, so the "but" serves a useful purpose by signaling this meaning.
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:58 am

of coarse i'm still here, i'm glad to see all of you still reading, and replying to my posts, now, the post the phenlapt(i cba to check spelling) is refering too, is still number 1 on the list, meaning? well it's not going to die, for some time, proving my point, that some posts are better to be bumped, and if they die, they die, and of coarse, i will always be here, to just enjoy my stay, as i'm sure, all of you will
craig is the man
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:15 am

gosox wrote:i will always be here, to just enjoy my stay, as i'm sure, all of you will

Assumptions are not a good idea. You will be here as long as the admins want you to be.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 am

my account, will yes, but i'll be looking for alot of ideas for my game, in the "future" section, they can't stop me from browsing, can they? didn't think so :)
craig is the man
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:35 am

gosox wrote:my account, will yes, but i'll be looking for alot of ideas for my game, in the "future" section, they can't stop me from browsing, can they? didn't think so :)

If you have a static IP they could block all access for it.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

now, what use would i have for a static ip?, where as, most, isp internet packages, come with a standard, dynamic ip, and you have to pay extra for a dynamic ip, or you have to buy another package, such as higher internet speeds, to get a static ip address
craig is the man
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 am

gosox wrote:my account, will yes, but i'll be looking for alot of ideas for my game, in the "future" section, they can't stop me from browsing, can they? didn't think so :)

You have no idea. Really, you do not.

NeoThermic
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:48 am

maybe not neo, but your the admin, i'm ok with you banning my account, my ip, whatever you please, it doesn't matter to me, i'm just here because i enjoy uplink, and i like to read peoples idea's for the future(making my own game, and like to borrow a few idea's, with credit given ofcoarse)
craig is the man
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 am

His name isn't Neo.........if you are going to talk to the admins show them the respect they deserve and use their full nick, which is NeoThermic.

As for making your own game....Oh how often we've heard that and oh how often it comes to nothing. Best of luck mind you, but we wont hold our collective breaths.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “Introversion Lounge”