old topics being bumped *question*

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Bumping is acceptable (in my opinion) if the new post really has something relevant to add to that specific thread; that is, the thread itself must be fairly unique. Take for example, the thread for the GhostHack mod for Defcon. That's been bumped several times to say "no idea where our sound guy went, sorry" or "any news?". In that instance, while it would probably be perfectly acceptable to make a new topic, bumping is probably the most sensible thing to do. So long as you're polite. :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:41 pm

xyzyxx wrote:I like this gosox character; he seems to possess a somewhat rational cognitive technique. That is a rare trait, here on the Internet.

When he punctuates, by god, it'll be the Sermon on the Mount all over again.

As shinygerbil says, bumping is fine if you're adding something new. Starting a new thread to discuss an old topic is just as silly as bumping, so the rule of thumb again is to search: find a thread that's already discussed the same thing if you can; if you're adding something, add it; if you're just rehashing, there's no need to repeat things.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Pox: One small correction to your post. It should really be "time since last post," not time since topic start. If an old topic gets bumped, then there is a window for flaming, and a slightly longer window for more useful comments.

xander
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 pm

KingAl wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:I like this gosox character; he seems to possess a somewhat rational cognitive technique. That is a rare trait, here on the Internet.

As shinygerbil says, bumping is fine if you're adding something new. Starting a new thread to discuss an old topic is just as silly as bumping, so the rule of thumb again is to search: find a thread that's already discussed the same thing if you can; if you're adding something, add it; if you're just rehashing, there's no need to repeat things.

KindAl, are you talking about me, when you say "When he punctuates, by god, it'll be the Sermon on the Mount all over again."

because, yes, i am not very good at puncutation, it may be my age to blame, being only 14, or it may even be the way the internet has taught me to type(I.E.typing to friends, and such)
craig is the man
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:43 pm

gosox wrote:
KingAl wrote:

KindAl, are you talking about me, when you say "When he punctuates, by god, it'll be the Sermon on the Mount all over again."

because, yes, i am not very good at puncutation, it may be my age to blame, being only 14, or it may even be the way the internet has taught me to type(I.E.typing to friends, and such)

Teh interwebs iz 4 pour te4ch3r. Lustin 2 ur 3ngli5h te4ch3r, in5734d.

xander
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 pm

yes, but you form habits, and techniques, and over time, it becomes hard to break those habbits and techniques
craig is the man
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:01 pm

i also dislike when people abbrievate, on forums, or in speach, but my natiave langauge is english, and for the most part my puncutation, is fine, i miss a few capitials, and a few periods, but i have no lack of comma's ever
but anyways, i think as we are on the subject of grammar and such, that it's better to use proper grammar on the internet, only to keep from looking like an idiot, but also, there are MANY misinterpurtations that can happen if abbreviate, or miss spell things, i may not use perfect grammar, but i feel as if i don't need to, as i get my point across suffeciently
craig is the man
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:23 pm

:)
i'm very glad that you are labeling me as an idiot, from my spelling, and my grammar, where-as i could be very intellegent, but i'm not going to waste much more time on you then what i already have, it's the people like you, that bring the internet to where it is, people should be allowed to spell, and use grammar as they please within a certain range of misshapps, and i think i'm very much in that range, i may not have perfect grammar nor spelling, but i really don't care, it's the internet, and the internet is virtual, and virtually, i don't care about my spelling, so there you go, have a nice day
craig is the man
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
gosox wrote:i miss a few capitials, and a few periods

Wrong, you miss all of them except when it is not needed, like your "MANY".

my only reason for using capitals there, is to emphasize the word
craig is the man
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Judge Jelco has spoken.
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:32 pm

considering you brought this topic "off-topic" lets get back onto topic, i think there is a limit of which people should get flammed for when bumping old topics, whether their content is of relevence, or not, maybe a non-relevent post, bumps the topic, and more people get interested, just my point of view
craig is the man
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Thanks for confirming my suspicions of you being an ignorant retard as well. Now go bother someone else.

Jelco

He is a bit correct on the spelling bit though. According to some profesor all the spelling that a computer can't recognize(like d/t rules) will disappear from our language in 10 years. Beside all spelling is artificial and part of an artificial languauge. The language people use can't be caught in rules. And besides the spelling will change if enough people use it wrong. :wink:
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 pm

zjoere wrote:
jelco the galactaboy wrote:Thanks for confirming my suspicions of you being an ignorant retard as well. Now go bother someone else.

Jelco

He is a bit correct on the spelling bit though. According to some profesor all the spelling that a computer can't recognize(like d/t rules) will disappear from our language in 10 years. Beside all spelling is artificial and part of an artificial languauge. The language people use can't be caught in rules. And besides the spelling will change if enough people use it wrong. :wink:

thats very true, and really if you look at the definition of language

language - "Communication of thoughts and feelings through a system of arbitrary signals, such as voice sounds, gestures, or written symbols."

it never says anything about a rule or ethic that one must follow, to use such langauge
craig is the man
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Yes, but communication is easier when you use the same arbitrary symbols and signals as everyone else. That is an argument in favor of using at least somewhat standard spelling and punctuation.

xander
gosox
level1
level1

Postby gosox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:04 pm

i speak english, the same way as you communicate, i see it like talking, some people never finish a sentence, some people emphasize to many words, to often, some people may pause to many times in a sentence, same as online, i type how i speak
craig is the man

Return to “Introversion Lounge”