The Call Of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Hyperion
level5
level5

The Call Of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft.

Postby Hyperion » Tue May 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Just wondered what people thought of the literature? (good/bad recommendations, without spoilers!) or if anyone had played the games either? :roll: just looking for something new to read/play and this caught my attention.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue May 06, 2008 9:55 pm

I have read the original short story and really stirred up my imagination. He managed to picture the whole cult and the background surrounding the whole Cthulhu mystery so believeably. I've always dreamed about a perfect movie adaptation. All the foundation are there, only need a faithful screenwriter and director to make it an instant cult classic (no pun intended :P).

I also read another short story from him about some deformed inbred hive of mutants living under an old house in some backwater Scotish village. I can't remember the title. That was quite creepy.

Hm...I just might start reading more from him after I finish my Asimov collection again.

I'm also a regular reader of the Unspeakable Vault (of Doom) comics. Sometimes the artist manages to make some good jokes about the whole Cthulhu mytos. :)
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue May 06, 2008 10:57 pm

No, but in completely unrelated literature, I've just started reading "Hyperion". :P

Epic win. More epic than win so far, though.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Hyperion is a fantastic book. It starts off as just epic, but turns rapidly into epic win. I love that book. Dan Simmons is fantastic.

On the topic of Lovecraft, I've read a few of his excellent short stories, but not the "big one", so to speak. I really should. :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 06, 2008 11:39 pm

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Lovecraft and the other pulp authors of his time (i.e. Burroughs). The RPG Call of Cthulu is also rather fun, though I have had no one to play with for quite a while. In fact, if you really wanted the basic rulebook, and I can find it, I would be happy to give it to you for the cost of shipping.

xander
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue May 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Ah, Lovecraft, heh, I have played the RPG several times in the past, and have been lent a selection of his short stories (dunno where they are hiding currently).

I must admit though that I've been finding it hard to get into his stories so far, though it's not as tough as the Edgar Allan Poe novel I have. >_<
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 pm

I really like Poe's short stories too.

In fact, I love short stories. :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed May 07, 2008 7:10 am

xander wrote:I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Lovecraft and the other pulp authors of his time (i.e. Burroughs). The RPG Call of Cthulu is also rather fun, though I have had no one to play with for quite a while. In fact, if you really wanted the basic rulebook, and I can find it, I would be happy to give it to you for the cost of shipping.

xander

Greatful for the offer :) but don't have the time to take it up yet, still trying to find time to play MTG :roll: not to mention if you don't know people who play the same RPG's as you before hand, it can be a chore finding people who do :x

Well...the majority of posts seems to be positive so ill get myself down to the library on Friday and see what they can do :)

I suppose im really going to have to read Hyperion at some point too :roll:
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed May 07, 2008 11:08 am

Hyperion wrote:
xander wrote:I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Lovecraft and the other pulp authors of his time (i.e. Burroughs). The RPG Call of Cthulu is also rather fun, though I have had no one to play with for quite a while. In fact, if you really wanted the basic rulebook, and I can find it, I would be happy to give it to you for the cost of shipping.

xander

Greatful for the offer :) but don't have the time to take it up yet, still trying to find time to play MTG :roll: not to mention if you don't know people who play the same RPG's as you before hand, it can be a chore finding people who do :x

Well...the majority of posts seems to be positive so ill get myself down to the library on Friday and see what they can do :)

I suppose im really going to have to read Hyperion at some point too :roll:

So why are you called Hyperion if you haven't read Hyperion :shock: :?: (On an unrelated note, one of my company's servers is called Hyperion too :shock: )

Also, mm, HP Lovecraft. Very good at conjuring the sense of nameless unspeakable horror. Although my personal favourite in that genre would be The Masque of the Red Deathby Poe (the story, not the silly campaign setting). Although you have to be in the right mood to have nameless unspeakable horrors conjured, otherwise HPL can seem a little quaint. Or downright nonsensical ;) Ditto for the CoC RPG, you need to have a good GM (Storyteller? what do they call them in CoC) and players willing to buy into it. The best CoC I've played never used a rulebook or stat sheet. So kinda nothing like MtG :twisted:

As for finding like minded people, the IV forums probably aren't a bad place to start :D

Cheers, Tripper
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 am

I really like the Vampire: Masquerade roleplay series. Used to play it a while back, fantastic stuff. Never tried the computer games, but I'd love to. :D

don't have time for all this stuff any more :(
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 pm

If none of you have played Paranoia, you are missing out. 'nuff said.

xander
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed May 07, 2008 4:26 pm

shinygerbil wrote:I really like the Vampire: Masquerade roleplay series. Used to play it a while back, fantastic stuff. Never tried the computer games, but I'd love to. :D

don't have time for all this stuff any more :(

I'm running a game of it at the moment! I got introduced to it a few years ago and it was love at first sight. The Old World of Darkness rocks so much. ^;....;^ Bloodlines and Redemption are good PC games too, I'd highly recommend them.

@Hyperion: Also, the Masque of the Red Death is a really good story, I enjoyed writing essays on it in school, and the other Poe short stories I've read (Tell-Tale Heart, and probably a few others I can't remember), our English teacher was from Maryland and Majored in Gothic Literature. :D

@xander: Paranoia is an ace game, nothing more ironic than a society ruled by a massive computer, hunting out terrorists, mutants, traitors, and communists when the system is itself communist and everyone *is* a traitor, communist, mutant etc.
Last edited by Xarlaxas on Wed May 07, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed May 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Kunshu wrote:@Xander: Paranoia is an ace game, nothing more prescient than a society ruled by a massive computer, hunting out terrorists, mutants, traitors, and communists when the system is itself communist and everyone *is* a traitor, communist, mutant etc.

QFT - and fix'd
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Unless you are suggesting that the game has predicted the current day then I'm not too sure why you think it should be prescient (thank the Gods for Google define) rather than ironic. ^^;
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Kunshu wrote:Unless you are suggesting that the game has predicted the current day then I'm not too sure why you think it should be prescient (thank the Gods for Google define) rather than ironic. ^^;

Oh, I guess the rot hasn't got as far as scotland then o_0

Return to “Introversion Lounge”