General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ModForIt
level1
level1

Question regarding Office mode

Postby ModForIt » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:11 am

Heres a predicament.

Do you think I will get told off for playing DEFCON at work?

Most people would, but im an emergency planner for my local council.

Do you think I could get away with saying its 'research' or a 'nessacery tool'? If so then hooray! :lol:
krytonix
level0

Postby krytonix » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:25 am

I don't know if you'll get told off or not (i'm not your boss.... or am I?).

Luckily office mode seems designed for just your predicament, with the incognito taskbar display, and panic button (double-ESC). Save your "research" story for if you DO get caught.
ModForIt
level1
level1

Postby ModForIt » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:29 am

krytonix wrote:I don't know if you'll get told off or not (i'm not your boss.... or am I?).

Just in case...

Ill buy you lunch tomorrow :wink:
Spartiate
level0

Postby Spartiate » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:13 am

Tell them to leave you be, since you may miss one of those incoming warheads and 'accidentally' let your entire office get nuked :D
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am

There aren't many emergencies more dire than nuclear war - it's clearly good practice (in whatever sense of the word you like).
holdmykidney
level1
level1

Re: Question regarding Office mode

Postby holdmykidney » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:42 pm

ModForIt wrote:Heres a predicament.

Do you think I will get told off for playing DEFCON at work?

Most people would, but im an emergency planner for my local council.

Do you think I could get away with saying its 'research' or a 'nessacery tool'? If so then hooray! :lol:

I have a different problem. When playing uplink the issue was never "are you playing a game?" but

"where are you logging in to?"
"what are you doing to that server?"
"isn't that illegal?"

which goes to show that despite working in IT people don't pay much attention to what real network tools look like.

My question about office mode is - will it work without an install?

i.e. for the computers at work here, can I run defcon from a folder on my usb pen drive?

I'm probably on dodgy ground actually installing software on the pc, but uplink always worked nicely from a usb stick.

And we've all got usb sticks at my work, so we could get a good game or two going if I can show the game off and get a few others to buy it and get into it
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:45 pm

oo thats a gud point, hope u can just run it like uplink. another thought about defcon, try convincing ur boss if he catches you that its actually happening lol. he might run off screaming
How about a nice game of chess?
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:47 pm

yeah the key is will it run with no install

DEVS PLEASE HELP!
yokken
level2
level2

Postby yokken » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:50 pm

If you DO have to install, I'm sure that you could easily copy all the files from Program Files onto a flash drive and run it that way.
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes it probably will. IV games, as far as I know, don't use the registry.
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:51 pm

TheSquire wrote:Yes it probably will. IV games, as far as I know, don't use the registry.

I do so hope...
shilsdon
level1
level1

Postby shilsdon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:01 pm

You won't get an answer from the devs on this prior to the launch, and the only other people in the know (namely the Beta testing crowd) can't tell you because of the NDA.

Still, if IV follow their usual pattern it should be playable from USB devices, so I'd say the chances are reasonable.

-Stephen-
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:50 pm

shilsdon wrote:You won't get an answer from the devs on this prior to the launch, and the only other people in the know (namely the Beta testing crowd) can't tell you because of the NDA.

Still, if IV follow their usual pattern it should be playable from USB devices, so I'd say the chances are reasonable.

-Stephen-

Actually, the alpha testers could also answer this question. However, because I don't feel very kind this morning, and because I like to keep people wondering, I won't. :)

xander
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:43 pm

And since I am a beta tester, you decide how much credibility you want to give my post above... :)
holdmykidney
level1
level1

Postby holdmykidney » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:53 pm

indeed.

and, thinking about it, if the FAQ is correct in its assertion that the linux version will be an .exe that works with the windows data files it is even more likely that OS parameters will be irrelevant. Theorectically you could have the windows exe and the linux exe side by side on your usb stick, and run it on whichever machine was available at the time. sweet.

Return to “General”