launch detection

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

backdoor2
level1
level1

launch detection

Postby backdoor2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi, I´am a little bit confused about a detail in launch detection. If someone launches his ICBMs in the silos (or the subs), there will be a launch detection showing up on the screen. But is that launch detection (and the silos) just visible to that guy, whose cities are the destination of the missiles or will everyone see it?

I guess everyone will see it. But if noone knows if this launch sends "greetings" to him or to someone else, probably everyone fires back because noone is sure. So if you fire first, it is likely that you get "answers" by all other players and you can´t be sure that anyone sends you missiles you wouldn´t expect. Right? quite uncomfortable... :twisted:
residue
level1
level1

Postby residue » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:59 pm

My guess is you'll see all launch detections, and no, you won't be able to see where they're headed, until you start plotting the nuke over the map.

Or maybe one can click on the nuke and get info what it's target is? Either way, unless you're playing 15 min game, you have time to ponder the situation :)
"What difference do you think you can make, one single man in all this madness?"
backdoor2
level1
level1

Postby backdoor2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:17 pm

I think, if you see incoming missiles, it would be to late to switch silos into launch mode. If you don´t fire back in that moment the launch detection appears, you just can hope that your defense scores ...

So I don´t think, that I will fire ICBMs first, because it wouldn´t be worth to surprise one opponent, if you´ll get incoming missiles by all oponents.
residue
level1
level1

Postby residue » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:31 pm

I think I read somewhere that it takes 60 seconds to switch mode on them sillos. And it has to take more than 60 secs for a nuke to go from Europe to America (as an example, them subs in your harbor is a different matter, but that's why you make sure to find them before they hit the button).

Of course, a decision has to be made at some point. Could it be a viable tactic to send just one missile towards an enemy, as some sort of diversion? (for whatever else, I don't know...)
"What difference do you think you can make, one single man in all this madness?"
yokken
level2
level2

Postby yokken » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:38 pm

I'm liking the whole sub/sub detection concept. There's so many ways, you have to micromanage everything to make sure you aren't backstabbed.
nuk-a-bazooka
level1
level1

Postby nuk-a-bazooka » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:43 pm

residue wrote:Of course, a decision has to be made at some point. Could it be a viable tactic to send just one missile towards an enemy, as some sort of diversion? (for whatever else, I don't know...)

That would be a bad idea IMO... by the time Defcon 1 is triggered everybody will be twitchy enough just waiting for the whole thing to start coming down. People will target cities to score, ignoring the one single nuke that really can't do much damage (if the targeted has still his defenses up).
shilsdon
level1
level1

Postby shilsdon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:00 pm

residue wrote:I think I read somewhere that it takes 60 seconds to switch mode on them sillos. And it has to take more than 60 secs for a nuke to go from Europe to America (as an example, them subs in your harbor is a different matter, but that's why you make sure to find them before they hit the button).

Of course, a decision has to be made at some point. Could it be a viable tactic to send just one missile towards an enemy, as some sort of diversion? (for whatever else, I don't know...)

60 seconds? Surely that's all realtive to the speed at which you're playing the game.

I would imagine, however, that if you switch a silo to defence the instant an ICBM is launched, you're probably going to have time.

On the other hand, if someone launches an SRBM from a bomber, you're kind of screwed...

-Stephen-
JaguarUSF
level1
level1

Postby JaguarUSF » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:22 pm

Launched nuke locations are seen by every player.
It takes 120 real time seconds to switch silo modes.
Secretpact
level1
level1

Postby Secretpact » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:33 am

When a nuke is launched from a sub or a silo, you will be alerted and the location of the launch revealed. If it's a silo, you'll know the location of the silo. If it's a submarine, you'll know where the submarine is. The target of the nuke is not displayed to anyone except the player who launched it.

It takes 120 game seconds to change from defense to missile mode and 300 some seconds to switch from missile mode to defense mode. This is from memory so sorry if I'm wrong.

Return to “General”