Movie Thread

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:57 am

Pox wrote:
Also, I left at the start of the credits... what was there?

I'll make it small so that those who have not yet seen it don't inadvertently get tipped off. A garbled voice says something, it sounded to me like it said "I'm still alive" though others thought it said, "it's still alive".
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Just saw the blairwitch project for the first time.
I didn't find it that scary. Although i have missed the first 5 minutes or so. Something scary happened there ?
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 am

Krell wrote:
Pox wrote:
Hyperion wrote:I had the perfect cinema experience last night...i haven't seen Blade Runner in years and had been contemplating buying it of recent times until i checked my local cinema listings and they were showing the new Final Cut....so off i went to book my ticket during my lunch break and straight after work made my way across town to the cinema...it was practically full and with appreciative people who sat mostly silent and at the end shared enjoyment and the awesomeness (not of my vocabulary) of the film...a very fine evening indeed :) ...

...since we're sharing :roll:

They've done ANOTHER cut of Blade Runner? I thought the 90's director's cut was the awesomage, original theatrical was rubbish. Yay for Ridley Scott. Alien > Blade Runner though.

The Final Cut, which is the new one released, was completly controlled by Ridley Scott. Seems the "Director's Cut" was done without much Ridley involvement at all. So if you want a REAL Director's Cut, get The Final Cut.

Am I the only one who thinks that Scott's "final" ending for the movie is wrong? If it weren't for Deckard's exchange with his superior officer, I wouldn't mind, but that exchange gives him a history that the ending doesn't afford him.

Not that the plot was the best part of the movie--Blade Runner lives and dies on how cool it looks, and it always looks cool.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:41 pm

So, I watched Cloverfield today. Personally, I liked it.

It isn't the best thing since sliced bread, the plot is Generic Monster Movie Number 2, but it had some really cool moments. It was a cool ride, and while maybe not DVD worthy, it was worth the admission price.

But yeah, it helps if you know what you're going into. The beginning is slow, but introduces the characters well. The ending, while somewhat abrupt, is within what one would expect while watching the movie.

I recommend a watch, if only out of curiosity. Just don't expect it to the best movie of the year (although admittedly, it was better than most movies I've seen last year)
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:24 pm

so how shaky is the camera work in cloverfield exactly.
could you compare it to the shakyness of the blair witch project or bloody sunday ?
Or is it more or less shaky ?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:10 pm

I haven't seen the movies you mention, but quite frankly it didn't bothered me at all. For the most part I think the average action movie has a camera more shaky than that.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:43 am

I saw The Golden Compass and enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after hearing all the athiest hype that's going around. I thought it was well scripted and the special effects were awesome. And I thought the story was intriguing.

wwarnick
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am

wwarnick wrote:I saw The Golden Compass and enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after hearing all the athiest hype that's going around. I thought it was well scripted and the special effects were awesome. And I thought the story was intriguing.

The books are definitely much more anti-religion than the movie is. I thought the movie was definitely enjoyable. Much like Harry Potter, its not world changing cinema, but it can be quite good fun.
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:33 am

Nicole seemed a bit wooden, but on the whole I liked it. Spent most of the time thinking "I remember that!", so perhaps I should see it again in order to appreciate the film itself :P Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby was a brilliant bit of casting.

Saw American Gangster the other day, I'm a bit undecided about it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Golden Compass: The casting was excellent, the special effects where great, but the writing was terrible. Characters were introduced, then dismissed in less time than I could blink, in many cases. Honestly, I think this has much to do with why several of the great actors in the film felt wooden or ill-prepared for their parts. They had no time to develop their characters, or establish any kind of motivation for anything they did. The film never settled down to actually tell a story, but rather paraded from one outlandish scene to another without explanation. As a fan of the books, I was pretty disappointed by the film, and am not terribly upset that they chose not to make the other two.

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 pm

I still can't believe they threw out a Tom Stoppard script in favour of one by the guy who did American Pie :shock:

Also, forgot to mention, I saw Sweeney Todd. 'twas most brilliant. The music was, of course, great, and unlike other musical-to-screen adaptations (e.g. Hairspray) everyone could actually sing, relatively speaking. It didn't always seem to jell, though - the "By the Sea" sequence seemed particularly incongruous, perhaps because it wholeheartedly tipped the scales towards 'comical' where before there was uneasy ambiguity. "A Little Priest" is as epic as ever; a bit dissappointed they culled the chorus sequences (i.e. the Ballad of Sweeney Todd) but at least the music's still there. Anyway, I heartily recommend it, if you don't mind a little stylised graphic gore.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:03 pm

I wasn't too impressed with Alan Rickman ;) On the whole, though, a good film. Started off a little weakly, but by the end it was superb.

Also, I didn't think the recent Hairspray movie was that bad. At least they didn't make Amanda Bynes do too much singing!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:11 pm

I didn't think Hairspray was bad, just that the casting wasn't based on the ability to sing :P

On the subject of movies, I can't help but laugh when I see ads for "Jumper". I'm guessing that doesn't mean woolen sweater in the US :lol: (and even if it doesn't, it's still a pretty horrible name for a film - though it is apparently based on a book of the same name)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:29 am

jelco the galactaboy wrote: There Will Be Blood

Was there?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:38 pm

It's a great film; very Citizen-Kane-ish, i.e. a pseudo-biopic, 'dawn to decandence' character study.
Neither of the main players are particularly likeable, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Also, you may or may not be interested to know that Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead wrote the music.

And, for those who've already seen it, I wouldn't so much see it as Plainview's hunt for power; rather, I'd see it more as charting his growing dislike of and disillusionment in others - whom he sees as variously insane, underhanded or weak (the local community, his 'brother' and competitors (including later H.W.), and his 'son' respectively) - and wish to isolate himself from the rest of the world: throughout the film he either sends away or murders his last links with the rest of the world. But then, it is open to interpretation, and it's probably more powerful without dissection :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”