Behind the scenes at IV!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
vic
level2
level2

Behind the scenes at IV!

Postby vic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:25 am

During the past few months our friends over at Pro-G have been hard at work making a new documentary about IV. From how we got started, to the inspirations behind the games we make, this is a great insight into the ethos and faces behind Introversion.

We'd love to know what you think so feel free to post your thoughts and comments below and a big special thanks goes out to all those involved in the making of this film. In particular I'd like to thank Nick Peres and Simon Hunter of Pro-G for their excellent production skills and also, Kieron Gillen, Alistair Lindsay and Tom Orry for all their insightful contributions.
Last edited by vic on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:39 am

First post!

I already saw it, but I can't remember where I got linked to it from...

Anyway, other than the complete lack of the ups and downs of the financial situation of Introversion (being practically bankrupt after 3 years of Darwinia) it was alright.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:46 am

The cheesy 'visualisations' of the dude playing Uplink - my eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!
Nevertheless, very interesting.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:53 pm

That was an excellent 16 minutes, and for those who don't know Introversion, such as the newer people who have learnt of IV from Steam, it's a great introduction, and history lesson.

Interestingly enough I swear I know those stairs.....did I fall up, or was it down, them at the Darwinia party?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:12 pm

well that was an interesting video... now release multiwinia dammit! ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Klaim
level0

Postby Klaim » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

I must say that I love the history and progress and mindset of Introversion.

I find in Chris a friendly alien brain like me (people smashing and mixing their "unusual" culture and science together to express something deep but appealing) but a lot smarter and expericenced.

I worked on my own game that was set in a introversion-like way of mind. It was a hacker game but not like Uplink, more a cyber-fantasy strategy game involving hackers. I did a first "amateur" release (with a friend of mine) maybe 5 years from now (i was 18-19 then) , with 2D programmer-graphics. It was my first "big game" project. I did'nt know anything about Introversion, the Indie Scene, and i learnt basics of C++ with this project.

Now (since last year) i'm working on a new version, a "pro" version, something that i could sell as an Indie. As i said, you people way of mind is verry near what i'm targeting, but i discovered your works verry late (in the end of 2006 i think). Darwinia was a graphical revelation, as the rendering, the graphical aspect, was verry near how i was thinking the graphics the new version of my game (only the rendering though). It was the first time i had a way to describe artist what i really wanted. I used words before but it's too abstract and easy to interprete wrongly when coming to graphical rendering...(if you're not an article).
Darwinia was also for me the explicit proof that somewhere, someone else, a lot of people, have a similar culture as mine and some of my friends! When i discovered the main menu and saw the internet in a graphical way, i almost cried (ok i didn't sleep a lot the nights before...). This way of metaphorising something so technic is typically what i like to do when designing a game!

Anyway i wanted to say that the game i'm working is a multiplayer RTS like "Multiwinia" and in a way would have the same market target (but will certainly comme later). I don't see it as a concurrence as the projects don't seem to feel the same (i think) and could help each other (see next). In this game i would like to have parodies/referencies about some other games/movies/books/shows/comics that made the background of the game and i would like to have Darwinians and Dr.Sepultura (i'm spelling right? never remember) appear in the game. \O__O/
I'm planning to add a special "advertising" system that is totally homogenous with the game itself (that's VERRY rare) , so i'd like to have a deal with people like you that did feed my culture and have a philosophy i'm resoning with :D

We are working on it and we're planning a demo for the IGF of next year , so we target september/october to release something. I hope i'll be able to have something valuable enough to contact you (Introversion) and have your advice about it before the end of this year, and maybe have a nice chat XD

So, i wish you a lot of success on your future projects and in a broader way, and i wish i can have a similar success in the coming years, with my personal vision of gaming/culture/us/the future. I think our projects and a lot of other projects in the indie scene will make us new mindset-sphere-exploration-pioneers, and i'm certain it's the future of humanity way of thinking ( that will make us move and think as ninja in front of the incoming alien war. Uh. Did i just say that? ).

Introversion Rocks! Thank you verry much! :D I love you XD

note for later : stop drinking so much cofee...

edit> Oh and the document is excellent to introduce what you did and do. I'm currently using it to speak about Interoversion with some friends who could be interested.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Rkiver wrote:Interestingly enough I swear I know those stairs.....did I fall up, or was it down, them at the Darwinia party?

Neither. Those stairs are part of the new IV flat, one that hasn't had a party yet (hint, hint...) ;)

NeoThermic
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Rkiver wrote:Interestingly enough I swear I know those stairs.....did I fall up, or was it down, them at the Darwinia party?

Neither. Those stairs are part of the new IV flat, one that hasn't had a party yet (hint, hint...) ;)

NeoThermic

Note to self, when no longer in danger of losing home, and earning again decently, must fall up or down those stairs at new flat. :P
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Blue Danube and Defcon just go so well together... :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:31 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Wait, did I see 'Crate Drop' in the Multiwinia footage? I smell a wink to Worms here... :P

Anyway, I was waiting for a sequel to IV: The Movie for quite some time now. Great vid.

Jelco

haven't we already seen about crate drops? I'm sure it was in a blog entry or a video or something...
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:39 pm

martin wrote:
jelco the galactaboy wrote:Wait, did I see 'Crate Drop' in the Multiwinia footage? I smell a wink to Worms here... :P

Anyway, I was waiting for a sequel to IV: The Movie for quite some time now. Great vid.

Jelco

haven't we already seen about crate drops? I'm sure it was in a blog entry or a video or something...

Yeah. It was... somewhere...
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 pm

RabidZombie wrote:
Yeah. It was... somewhere...

phew, thought it was me going crazy...

...ok ok, more crazy
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:17 am

ynbniar wrote:Blue Danube and Defcon just go so well together... :)

Right up there with "The Thieving Magpie" in A Clockwork Orange and "Waltz of the Flowers" in BioShock :P Violence and classical music... they're meant for eachother.

martin: There was a crate drop in the Multiwinia gameplay video.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:34 am

When that classical piece started in the video, it reminded me of all the good times I had while playing Elite1-2-3. Damn you Braben for holding out on us for so long! We want more Elite4 news!

On: interesting video. It's good to see you guys still being motivated. Keep up the good work. :-)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Hmuda wrote:
When that classical piece started in the video, it reminded me of all the good times I had while playing Elite1-2-3. Damn you Braben for holding out on us for so long! We want more Elite4 news!

On: interesting video. It's good to see you guys still being motivated. Keep up the good work. :-)

interestingly, how could anyone not be motivated while working at *the* indie game studio?

Return to “Introversion News”