Book Advice

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Children of Men was a decent film, worlds would collide and the cosmos would explode into nothing if I ever read it (or any other fictional book) though. :wink:

Because I do photography, I sometimes see films being filmed from different angles, you know? But this was perfectly done, imo, especially that long shot where he goes into a building, up the stairs, and in and out of rooms all in one take.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Children of Men was a decent film, worlds would collide and the cosmos would explode into nothing if I ever read it (or any other fictional book) though. :wink:

Didn't you claim to read the bible in some earlier topic?

/me runs away.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 pm

xander wrote:

/me runs away.

xander

Heh. come on xander, I saw that one coming before I even finished writing out that sentence.

:wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:33 pm

xander wrote:

/me runs away.

xander

Spoken by a genius.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Children of Men was a horrible film!
Ok, maybe horrible is too strong a word. I'm not sure that I can think of a word that suscinctly describes my total apathy watching that film, however.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Perhaps "meh"?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Rkiver wrote:Perhaps "meh"?

"meh" is a pretty good expression of apathy, although it does have a touch of antipathy about it.. maybe it would be better expressed as "...".
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:54 pm

Icepick wrote:Children of Men was a horrible film!
Ok, maybe horrible is too strong a word. I'm not sure that I can think of a word that suscinctly describes my total apathy watching that film, however.

I must congratulate you sir! You are the first person I've met to have disliked the movie.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:13 am

Pox wrote:
Rkiver wrote:Perhaps "meh"?

"meh" is a pretty good expression of apathy, although it does have a touch of antipathy about it.. maybe it would be better expressed as "...".

I would say "hrm".
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:50 am

wwarnick wrote:
Pox wrote:Yeah, Foundation wasn't really a post-apopalyptic novel - sure, there had been an apocalypse, but the story of the novel was in no way related and it had little effect.

All but Foundation and Earth, which I found to be a fascinating book. It gives a more clear picture of what happened since humans left Earth. It basically fills the gap between now and Foundation (and links Foundation to another Asimov series). Unfortunately, it's the last in the series (aside from the prequels). Nevertheless, some of the best sci-fi.

wwarnick
Recently I just started to look towards my Asimov collection-books containing all the Robot-Empire-Foundation stories (7-books, about 4200 pages alltogether, everything in chronological order). I think I'll start over, but this time, read them in publishing order.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:43 am

Have you read the Foundation prequels?

wwarnick
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 am

Prelude to Foundation surprised me by actually being very good indeed. (At least, that's how I remember it.) It was the first Foundation book I read (deciding from the outset to read them in chronological order) and I do remember, upon rereading, that there are a few random/strange bits seemingly thrown in just to keep consistency, but other than that, I'd say it's worth it.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:57 am

wwarnick wrote:Have you read the Foundation prequels?

wwarnick
I've read every single Robot-Empire-Foundation story (be it a short story or a novel) that is written by Asimov.

I started reading the non-Asimov novels (the Gregory Benford one) but it was so out of place in Asimov's universe that I gave up on it after about a 100 pages. I never had the will to read the other two (David Brin and Greg Bear, even though I loved Startide Rising from Brin).

I also have the Inferno and the Utopia books, but aparently got them too late and the first book of that trilogy is out of reach ATM.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:45 am

Hmuda wrote:
wwarnick wrote:Have you read the Foundation prequels?

wwarnick
I've read every single Robot-Empire-Foundation story (be it a short story or a novel) that is written by Asimov.

I started reading the non-Asimov novels (the Gregory Benford one) but it was so out of place in Asimov's universe that I gave up on it after about a 100 pages. I never had the will to read the other two (David Brin and Greg Bear, even though I loved Startide Rising from Brin).

I also have the Inferno and the Utopia books, but aparently got them too late and the first book of that trilogy is out of reach ATM.

If you loved Startide Rising, make sure to read Sundiver and The Uplift War... though I did think SR was the best of the three. Eee, dolphins!
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:14 am

Pox wrote:If you loved Startide Rising, make sure to read Sundiver and The Uplift War... though I did think SR was the best of the three. Eee, dolphins!
I'm going to. :) I just love that world he created with all this species uplifting other species for millenias of slavery as a payback.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”