Book Advice

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Book Advice

Postby Feud » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:00 am

So I've been working on the goal of reading at least one or two major book a month (been going strong for several months now), and in support of this my sister gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas. For January I've decided that I want to get some good ol' fashioned post apocalyptic fiction in, and in addition to another book I've already picked I'm debating between two that both seem very good.

The first is the classic Day of the Triffids, and the second is The Road.

I was curious if any of you had read either of them, and what your thoughts were about them. Any help would be appreciated!
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:04 am

Day of the Triffids was great as far as I remember - original and surprisingly it didn't seem that old-fashioned. It's pretty short so definitely give it a go.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:41 am

Yeah, Day of the Triffids is great. Don't see the film, though -.-
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, i've only just recently read this and it's not a particularly long book but was quite thought provoking and perhaps worth a look as an alternative :roll:
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:33 am

Well, the Foundation series is post-apocolyptic, but it's a different take on it. Instead of coming out of vaults to meet enormous rats and pigs, they escape to space. However, it takes place so far in the future that they hardly mention the nuclear holocaust at all. In fact, I believe there's only one scene that talks about it. Anyway, it's a good scif-fi by good ol' Asimov.

If you're a fan of Orson Scott Card, you might try Folk of the Fringe. Haven't read it, but I thought I'd throw it in.

wwarnick
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:08 am

wwarnick wrote:Well, the Foundation series is post-apocolyptic, but it's a different take on it. Instead of coming out of vaults to meet enormous rats and pigs, they escape to space. However, it takes place so far in the future that they hardly mention the nuclear holocaust at all. In fact, I believe there's only one scene that talks about it. Anyway, it's a good scif-fi by good ol' Asimov.

If you're a fan of Orson Scott Card, you might try Folk of the Fringe. Haven't read it, but I thought I'd throw it in.

wwarnick

Yeah, Foundation wasn't really a post-apopalyptic novel - sure, there had been an apocalypse, but the story of the novel was in no way related and it had little effect. I enjoyed the first one but lost interest afterwards... Asimov never excited me.

If you want some great sci-fi, check out David Brin's Uplift trilogies. They were excellent reading.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:20 am

Pox wrote:
wwarnick wrote:Well, the Foundation series is post-apocolyptic, but it's a different take on it. Instead of coming out of vaults to meet enormous rats and pigs, they escape to space. However, it takes place so far in the future that they hardly mention the nuclear holocaust at all. In fact, I believe there's only one scene that talks about it. Anyway, it's a good scif-fi by good ol' Asimov.

wwarnick

Yeah, Foundation wasn't really a post-apopalyptic novel - sure, there had been an apocalypse, but the story of the novel was in no way related and it had little effect. I enjoyed the first one but lost interest afterwards... Asimov never excited me.
That's a shame. :/ Foundation was an excellent book, and he's done so many other good ones too.

One of his slightly less famous works is called "The End Of Eternity" - and I would say that is my favourite Asimov, and I would recommend it to anyone who cares. A really, really nice book. :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:46 am

I ended up getting The Road, with the second book being The Children of Men (pretty good so far!).
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:54 am

shinygerbil wrote:Yeah, Foundation wasn't really a post-apopalyptic novel - sure, there had been an apocalypse, but the story of the novel was in no way related and it had little effect. I enjoyed the first one but lost interest afterwards... Asimov never excited me.
That's a shame. :/ Foundation was an excellent book, and he's done so many other good ones too.[/quote]

I did enjoy "I Robot"... but then again that wasn't much of a book, just a bunch of amusing anecdotes. :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:38 am

Feud wrote:I ended up getting The Road, with the second book being The Children of Men (pretty good so far!).

Children of Men is an excellent book. I would also recommend the film, which is rather good, though certainly it takes a different take on the basic premise. Even if you don't like the tampering with the plot, there is a 5-10 minute camera shot towards the end which is simply amazing.

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:50 am

Hrm, P.D. James irritates me. Case in point, a scene in one of her crime fiction novels in which the protagonist comments on how bad modern crime fiction is. Subtle, that.

I liked the film Children of Men, though I don't recall noticing particular techniques. It worked better when it was showing rather than telling.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:19 am

KingAl wrote:Hrm, P.D. James irritates me. Case in point, a scene in one of her crime fiction novels in which the protagonist comments on how bad modern crime fiction is. Subtle, that.

I liked the film Children of Men, though I don't recall noticing particular techniques. It worked better when it was showing rather than telling.

I don't really like most P.D. James. Children of Men was an exception. ;)

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:39 pm

I've not read the book, but the film is one of my favourites.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Children of Men was a decent film, worlds would collide and the cosmos would explode into nothing if I ever read it (or any other fictional book) though. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Pox wrote:Yeah, Foundation wasn't really a post-apopalyptic novel - sure, there had been an apocalypse, but the story of the novel was in no way related and it had little effect.

All but Foundation and Earth, which I found to be a fascinating book. It gives a more clear picture of what happened since humans left Earth. It basically fills the gap between now and Foundation (and links Foundation to another Asimov series). Unfortunately, it's the last in the series (aside from the prequels). Nevertheless, some of the best sci-fi.

wwarnick

Return to “Introversion Lounge”