NeoThermic *DELETE ME* =)

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your stance on gun proliferation?

I own a gun. I DON'T TRUST MY DAMN NEIGHBOUR!!!
No votes
I own several guns, I'm a hitman .(shhhh don't tell anyone)
13%
Change the constitution. Outlaw guns once and for all!
63%
GIMME A FLAMETHROWER!
25%
Nukes for everyone!
No votes

Total votes: 8
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

NeoThermic *DELETE ME* =)

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:25 am

After (yet) more public shootings in the US recently, I wonder what people think could be done to erradicate the threat of maniacs going berserk with guns in the US.

I'm happy I don't live in America for the single fact that it has more public shootings than any other country on earth - if you rule out warzones and civil wars. To completely prevent massacres anywhere in the world is nigh impossible - human beings are raving mad. But when this sick species have easy access to guns tragedy is bound to happen.

Here in Norway we have one of the highest concentrations of domestic guns in the world, but most of them are linked to hunting. It is very rare for people to actively use firearms to protect their homes and carrying guns for protection is very restricted. We have some of the lowest crime rates in the world and 'cause of this our police force don't carry guns, except for special operations.

In my mind the more guns the public have access to the more violent a society will get. If a burglar is breaking and entering isn't he more likely to bring a gun if he knows he probaly will bump into a homeowner with a firearm? As long as guns are made, bad people will always get their hands on them, but wouldn't you agree with me that strict gun control or possibly prohibition would decrease the risk of shootouts and massacres?
Last edited by Radiant Caligula on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:29 am

Well think of it, Norway, and Canada, both have a lot of guns, but no where near the amount of gun crime or killing sprees that happen in the US.

My reasoning on this is it's due to the fact that for the most part, America is a trigger happy place. Now not saying everyone is of course, but there is something about the US that seems to make it's inhabitants more prone to shooting the hell out of everything.

Taking guns away from the people wont change it at this stage (black market and so on) but perhaps better education would help stop all the teen pregnancies..oh wait that's the safe sex arguement against just teaching abstinence.....

Ahem, teaching proper respect for others, having decent gun control (no you don't need a fucking assault rifle) and so on may assist. Then again the US may just implode in on it's self some day. I just hope those I consider friends will avoid it, and then join me with some popcorn as we watch it.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:45 am

you mind moving your post to the other thread? I accidentally hit the submit button before I was finished..... =)
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”