Favourite holidays

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Your favourite holidays?

Summer
43%
Winter (Christmas)
39%
Spring (+/- April)
4%
Autumn (+/- October)
4%
Religious (Christianity)
No votes
Religious (Islam)
No votes
Religious (Judaism)
No votes
Religious (Atheism)
4%
Other, please specify
4%

Total votes: 23
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:25 pm

I don't think the time of the year is really that important when it comes to holidays...obvious things like where you go and who with are far more important.

For example the last 2 big trips we've been on were to New Zealand and California, both great holidays but we went to New Zealand at Christmas and California late summer...

If I had to choose a time of the year I'd go with winter/Christmas as it's more likely to be the time when you see friends and relatives.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:39 pm

I'll have to say October +/-, as that's when we (my family) leave the home for about two weeks every year. We don't take the typical summer vacation and don't celebrate traditional holidays, but do take advantage of the time off. :wink:

Also, two polls don't prove anything, there must be at least three to show a real pattern. :P However, this a good one. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Summer.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Summer, more specifically the 4th of July.

By the way, what is a Religious Holiday (Atheist)? Is it just enjoying the other people's holidays or do they have their own?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Haha, bizarre. Meanwhile, I pretty much agree with ynbniar; the actual time of year doesn't matter to me so much.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:07 pm

Atheism? A religion? I think not...

xander
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:32 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:xander, that options equals 'CowboyNeal' for you. :D

Jelco

No, it doesn't! CowboyNeal starts with a C, and ends with an L. It also contains no parentheses!

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:40 pm

I think the problem is deeper than that - CowboyNeal isn't even a holiday! D:
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:46 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Hey now. Aren't you always freaking out at wrong use of capitalisation? It doesn't end with an L, it ends with an l. And those parentheses are masked: they're joined up to form that second o.

Jelco

PS: Who voted 'Other'? It clearly states that you should also specify the holiday!

The capitalization of the C and L were intended to highlight the letters, not display how they would actually appear in the word. Thus, CowboyNeal begins with a "see" and ends with an "el". I could have spelled out the letters, or left them lowercase, or capitalized them, and it all would have been the same. How about this? CowboyNeal is spelt "charlie-oscar-whiskey-bravo-oscar-yankee-november-echo-alfa-lima." Is that better? :P

xander
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:48 pm

alfa?
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Winter on the Polish mountain borders.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:00 pm

walrus47 wrote:alfa?

That is how it is generally spelt, yes. I don't know why. Sorry.

xander
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Fair enough, I thought it was alpha.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 pm

All Knowing Wiki wrote:Noun

Singular
alfa

Plural
alfas

alfa (plural alfas)

1. The letter A in the ICAO spelling alphabet

ICAO spelling alphabet

1. Shortened name for the ICAO radiotelephony spelling alphabet of the International Civil Aviation Organization. This alphabet assigns words to letters of the alphabet for clearer enunciation.
* Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu.

The NATO phonetic alphabet, more formally the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet, is the most widely used spelling alphabet. Though often called "phonetic alphabets", spelling alphabets have no connection to phonetic transcription systems like the International Phonetic Alphabet. Instead, the NATO alphabet assigns code words to the letters of the English alphabet acrophonically so that critical combinations of letters (and numbers) can be pronounced and understood by those who transmit and receive voice messages by radio or telephone regardless of their native language, especially when the safety of navigation or persons is essential. The paramount reason is to ensure intelligibility of voice signals over radio links.

It is used by many national and international organizations, including the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). It is a subset of the much older International Code of Signals (INTERCO), which originally included visual signals by flags or flashing light, sound signals by whistle, siren, foghorn, or bell, as well as one, two, or three letter codes for many phrases.[1] The same alphabetic code words are used by all agencies, but each agency chooses one of two different sets of numeric code words. NATO uses the regular English numeric words (Zero, One, with some alternative pronunciations), whereas the IMO uses compound numeric words (Nadazero, Unaone).

In most versions of the alphabet, the non-English spellings Alfa and Juliett are found. Alfa is spelled with an f as it is in most European languages. The English and French spelling alpha would not be properly pronounced by speakers of other languages—native speakers of those languages would not know that ph should be pronounced as f. Juliett is spelled with a tt for the benefit of native French speakers because they will treat a single t as silent. In English versions of the alphabet, like that from ANSI, one or both may revert to their standard English spelling.
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:20 pm

I didn't doubt that he was right, I'd just always been taught it as 'alpha'. :)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”