Notes from the Slippery Slope, Part 2

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:00 am

1. SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fucked Up - Thing are running normally.
2. TARFUN - Things Are Really Fucked Up Now - Houston, we have a problem.
3. FUBAR - Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition - Burn it to the ground and start over from scratch; it's totally destroyed.
4. KOTH - koth is the sound that a cat makes when coughing (remember the DGs' voices are all courtesy of Maddie the cat!)

More name ideas of course. I like TARFUN since it contains the word fun and the juxtaposition of tar and fun gives a nice messy image like mud pit tug of war. No parents need know your game title encodes a cuss word. (Oh noes!) And it would continue the DEFCON tradition of military acronyms for your latest war game. LOLs to xander for koth! (I can't believe I just typed LOLs...)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:31 am

Do you ever stop?

xander
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:32 am

I usually play straight man, so I'm gonna ignore any implied disdain you might have intended and just answer the question. Nope. Not until I stop having ideas or Chris says he's chosen a name. The ideas just come to me when I'm reading other stuff on the net. I don't expect Chris to use *any* of my ideas litterally, but my hope is that I might provide some inspiration from an unlikely angle, and thus help him find his own one true name. That's why my ideas have cast the game in different lights = different angles. Besides, a lot of the good names have been used already, like "Overkill". It's gonna require a lot of creativity to find a good name these days. My names may be mostly lame, but at least they're creatively lame. I guess.

Join in. You're creative. What would you call Multiwinia, except for FutureWars? What do the videos and game pics suggest to you so far?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 am

brice wrote:I usually play straight man, so I'm gonna ignore any implied disdain you might have intended and just answer the question. Nope. Not until I stop having ideas or Chris says he's chosen a name. The ideas just come to me when I'm reading other stuff on the net. I don't expect Chris to use *any* of my ideas litterally, but my hope is that I might provide some inspiration from an unlikely angle, and thus help him find his own one true name. That's why my ideas have cast the game in different lights = different angles. Besides, a lot of the good names have been used already, like "Overkill". It's gonna require a lot of creativity to find a good name these days. My names may be mostly lame, but at least they're creatively lame. I guess.

Join in. You're creative. What would you call Multiwinia, except for FutureWars? What do the videos and game pics suggest to you so far?

Just a suggestion. Rather than pepper every blog post with your suggestions for a name, create a topic in the lounge and add to it as you wish. It'd be better for us all :) (After all, what good is it if your suggestions are spread across 15 blog posts? Who's going to bother to read each and note what you've said?)

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 am

Overkill is a lame name
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:41 am

xander wrote:Koth is a planet in the Star Wars Universe, similar to Hoth. Without the capitalization, koth is a is the sound that a cat makes when coughing. KotH is King of the Hill.

xander

if the almighty xander says so ;)

so, xander, you accept my challenge to a KotH match the first instant we can both play (be that beta or full release) :?:
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:51 pm

If I actually have a machine that can keep up with Multiwinia, sure, why not?

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:55 pm

Otherwise, decode the network traffic and play with a straight key hooked up to the telephone line.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Just a suggestion. Rather than pepper every blog post with your suggestions for a name, create a topic in the lounge and add to it as you wish. It'd be better for us all :) (After all, what good is it if your suggestions are spread across 15 blog posts? Who's going to bother to read each and note what you've said?)

Yeah I can see how I look like I'm threadjacking at every turn. 'snot what I intended. But honestly, since only one or two blogs stay active I figured Chris et al were most likely to keep up with the current one. That's why I shifted to each new Multiwinia thread. But I guess enough is enough. I apologize to anyone who was annoyed more than a little bit.

Montyphy wrote:Overkill is a lame name.

brice wrote:My names may be mostly lame, but at least they're creatively lame. I guess.

See!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:36 pm

xander wrote:If I actually have a machine that can keep up with Multiwinia, sure, why not?

xander

yay!

I hope my machine will keep up, I certainly hope so!

in fact, thinking about it, it can keep up with most of the biggest mods for darwinia (and by big I mean insanely large levels) quite well.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 pm

martin wrote:in fact, thinking about it, it can keep up with most of the biggest mods for darwinia (and by big I mean insanely large levels) quite well.

Yeah, but mine doesn't. Several levels of Insurrection only get 10-15 FPS, and big chunks of Stricken Souls are nearly unplayable. Thus are the hazards of having a 5 year old laptop with a crappy vid card. Maybe I will get a new machine next year...

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:37 am

xander wrote:
martin wrote:in fact, thinking about it, it can keep up with most of the biggest mods for darwinia (and by big I mean insanely large levels) quite well.

Yeah, but mine doesn't. Several levels of Insurrection only get 10-15 FPS, and big chunks of Stricken Souls are nearly unplayable. Thus are the hazards of having a 5 year old laptop with a crappy vid card. Maybe I will get a new machine next year...

xander

yeah, I just realised that I read your post wrong and you were saying about your machine not mine :oops:

Of course, I win by default if you can't play ;)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:56 pm

martin wrote:yeah, I just realised that I read your post wrong and you were saying about your machine not mine :oops:

Of course, I win by default if you can't play ;)

If it makes you feel better to say so...

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:20 pm

I wouldn't be so confident - it looks like you can't turtle in Multiwinia, martin ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:00 pm

KingAl wrote:I wouldn't be so confident - it looks like you can't turtle in Multiwinia, martin ;)

We thought you couldn't in DEFCON. Martin can turtle in anything, it's his one and only skill.

Return to “Introversion Blog”