Survival of the Flattest

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Survival of the Flattest

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:08 am

I think we have to accept here at Introversion that there is no name for Multiwinia that we will immediately like. We’ve been through hundreds of possibilities, some better than others (thanks to all those people who posted suggestions by the way – we really appreciate your help), but very few have leapt out as candidates for the name of our fourth game. In the past we have relied on some sort of mystical inner insight (what Myers Briggs might classify as Introverted Intuition) to light up the _correct_ name when we first hear it, and this has been the case in the past with Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon and Subversion. Once we’d heard each of those names we knew we didn’t have to look any further. Unfortunately we’re still waiting for that wonderful moment to come for Multiwinia, and we’re starting to wonder if it ever will.

Yesterday I recorded a five minute game of Multiwinia in “King of the Hill” mode, between myself and Gary over the Internet. We liked the video so much we’ve decided to release it. I think it’s about time we started showing vids of Multiwinia (as we’ve been doing with Subversion for months now) so here is the first. What you see in this map is basically the King of the Hill training map – its two player only, and it’s the smallest and simplest map we have for this game mode. I’m the green Darwinians and Gary is Red. Feel free to point and laugh as I basically get my arse handed to me by Gary’s aggressive play style.

Format : xvid (download codec here if required)
Resolution : 480 x 300 x 30fps, 5 minutes
Filesize : 77Mb

This is a fairly raw video – we haven’t bothered adding logos or websites or fade-outs or anything like that – this is just what I saw during the game, uncut, recorded to avi. Don’t you just hate it when you download a 200Mb video for a game, only to discover 40% of it is pictures of corporate logos zooming towards the camera? Whoever is responsible for that, stop fucking doing it!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:17 am

Yay! Nice video! Multiwinia does in fact look so awesome!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:33 am

*Grabs the video*

Comments to come in an edit.

Also for naming, I still vote Digicide.

Edit: Gief game now plx.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:11 am

BRILLIANCE!

It's fun to watch the DGs doing most of the fighting... quite different from my normal games of Darwinina.

And once again, it's fun to laugh at all the Darwinians running in screaming panic from various explosives :D

And good luck with finding a name for the game :)
Varsity
level2
level2

Postby Varsity » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:29 am

I can never watch any of these videos. I've got XVID installed but the file never plays: I can drag the slider along, but it won't move of its own accord and never get any audio or video. Is there anything wrong with providing a WMV version too?
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:54 am

In the last minute of the game which isn't in the video, I completely take control of the entire map and overtake Chris' score. I wonder why he left that part out ;)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:10 pm

*Drooooooollll*
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:44 pm

It looks like its really coming along. I still think it would be fun to use the virus as a weapon special, if you are losing an area then let the enemy deal with the virus while you get ready for a counter attack :)
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Varsity wrote:I can never watch any of these videos. I've got XVID installed but the file never plays: I can drag the slider along, but it won't move of its own accord and never get any audio or video. Is there anything wrong with providing a WMV version too?
I've had the same problem, VLC player is perfectly capable though :X
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:37 pm

Dirty Harry Potter wrote:
Varsity wrote:I can never watch any of these videos. I've got XVID installed but the file never plays: I can drag the slider along, but it won't move of its own accord and never get any audio or video. Is there anything wrong with providing a WMV version too?
I've had the same problem, VLC player is perfectly capable though :X

i usually haver a problem, this is why I often host a copy on Google Vids so that I can watch it, and other with the same problem :/

edit:: dunno about this one yet, it's still downloading. But could we have a wmv version Chris? pls?

Edit 2 :: yay, it works, about to watch it, laughter at you coming right up Chris ;)

Edit 3:: OH MY GOD! gimmie now! Actually, incidentally I think you lost the moment you went for a capture point instead a spawner about 2 seconds into the game :/
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Wow, that looks brilliant, i like the way the trees catch fire from grenade explosions, and the power up crates are a great idea. I agree with martin about why you lost, Gary was able to surround you with his larger army while you attempted to go straight for the points.

I can't wait for this to be released, keep up the good work guys!
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:16 pm

It makes more sense, after watching this, why you're having problems naming this game - it's absolutely raving bonkers.

:wink:
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:16 pm

martin wrote:i usually haver a problem, this is why I often host a copy on Google Vids so that I can watch it, and other with the same problem :/
putting it up on Gametrailers right now :S partly to spread the word, partly to allow people here with problems viewing it to view it, and partly to get GTD (virtual currency on Gametrailers).
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:23 pm

DO WANT!

The trees setting on fire was nice, but for some reason I was more impressed by the darwinians running around aimlessly leaving orange trails.

*looks around* What?
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:59 pm

NukeLord wrote:Wow, that looks brilliant, i like the way the trees catch fire from grenade explosions, and the power up crates are a great idea. I agree with martin about why you lost, Gary was able to surround you with his larger army while you attempted to go straight for the points.

I can't wait for this to be released, keep up the good work guys!

Actually the bulk of the army that I did the most damage with was from a couple of handy powerups. Capturing a spawn point a few seconds later than your opponent wont make much of a difference, as we're trying to make sure that the game is decided by a click-fest at the start.

Return to “Introversion Blog”