Splash damage

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

kryptic
level1
level1

Splash damage

Postby kryptic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Do nukes cause splash damage? For example, if two cities are very close together, will nuking one kill citizens in the other? What about if someone places an airbase right next to (or on top of) a city? Will nuking one of them damage the other?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:08 pm

NDA! NDA! NDA!

Though I'd be willing to bet that one of the beta testers will be along at any moment to say something cryptic...

xander
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:25 pm

xander wrote:NDA! NDA! NDA!

Though I'd be willing to bet that one of the beta testers will be along at any moment to say something cryptic...

xander

If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around does it make a sound?

.... mission accomplished :D
Aod
level0

Postby Aod » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:27 pm

i'm guessing no, because if you look at screenshots where some cities are really close together, it wouldn't be fair on the player with those cities if one nuke could kill people from lots of them.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:29 pm

Nutter wrote:

xander

Oh please, it must relate to the question:

If a nuke hits a forest, and there's trees around, do they also get damaged? (and does that make a sound? ;))

NeoThermic
Traece
level1
level1

Postby Traece » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:31 pm

Nutter wrote:

xander

I think what he's trying to say is... The tree falls because a nuke several miles away exploded, and the tree kills a woodland animal.
Or maybe he's just being funny?
(I doubt they have splash damage.)
Edit: Darn, Neo beat me to it.
Napalm Sushi
level2
level2

Postby Napalm Sushi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:41 pm

NeoThermic wrote:If a nuke hits a forest, and there's trees around, do they also get damaged? (and does that make a sound? ;))

Well, there may be simultaneous forehead-smacking and brief cursing from the manufacturers of the missile's guidance system, which would certainly be audible. Unless the forest was the intended target, with the objective of wiping out all the 'ickle squirrels and birdies, you cold, cold bastard.
STOKE-ON-TRENT HIT: NO-ONE IMPORTANT DEAD
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:42 pm

Actually, if there is any screencaps posted that shows scoretables, you would already see the answer...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:44 pm

Napalm Sushi wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:If a nuke hits a forest, and there's trees around, do they also get damaged? (and does that make a sound? ;))

Well, there may be simultaneous forehead-smacking and brief cursing from the manufacturers of the missile's guidance system, which would certainly be audible. Unless the forest was the intended target, with the objective of wiping out all the 'ickle squirrels and birdies, you cold, cold bastard.

This is the result when you mix up lat and long ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:55 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Napalm Sushi wrote:

NeoThermic

Or, if you are from the US, it happens when you forget to convert from imperial to metric.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:00 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
Napalm Sushi wrote:

NeoThermic

Or, if you are from the US, it happens when you forget to convert from imperial to metric.

xander

I was actually going to say that, but AFAIK, most distances are measured in nautical miles for missiles. Also, you target using lat/long; it would be silly to say "Launch the nuke south-west for 2256 nautical miles!"

NeoThermic
Deestan
level1
level1

Postby Deestan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:15 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Also, you target using lat/long; it would be silly to say "Launch the nuke south-west for 2256 nautical miles!"
"Yarr! Load ye starboard ICBMs! Aim for 2256 miles inland, lads!"
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:18 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Or, if you are from the US, it happens when you forget to convert from imperial to metric.

xander

I was actually going to say that, but AFAIK, most distances are measured in nautical miles for missiles. Also, you target using lat/long; it would be silly to say "Launch the nuke south-west for 2256 nautical miles!"

NeoThermic

I would have said the same thing about the Mars Polar Lander several years ago :) At any rate, not only do you have to worry about where you want the missle to go (pounds of thrust? or newtons?), how much the missle weighs/masses (stones? pounds? kilograms?), &c.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:21 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Or, if you are from the US, it happens when you forget to convert from imperial to metric.

xander

NeoThermic

I would have said the same thing about the Mars Polar Lander several years ago :) At any rate, not only do you have to worry about where you want the missle to go (pounds of thrust? or newtons?), how much the missle weighs/masses (stones? pounds? kilograms?), &c.

xander

The MPL's problem was that the software though the vibration of the entry was actually the impact on the ground and helpfully shut down the engine while the lander was 40m above the ground..

NeoThermic
goobermaster
level0

Postby goobermaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:39 am

I doubt that they would, I mean the cities might look close together, but remember that this is on a world map, and that 'close' may be several hundred kilometers, which is far outside the immediate blast of a nuclear strike.

Return to “General”