Come and Work for us!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Come and Work for us!

Postby Mark » Mon May 21, 2007 3:11 pm

Port of Defcon

Introduction

An opportunity has arisen for a new version of DEFCON to be created for a mobile platform . In order to de-risk the project Introversion requires the development of a prototype that will demonstrate the game running on a simulation of the target platform.

Once we have acquired the prototype we will further investigate the commercial viability of the title. Should we choose to proceed, we will be looking to create the full version of mobile DEFCON. Whilst we would be keen to offer this work to the developer who created the prototype, this work would not be guaranteed at this stage.

Technical Requirement

We require a Windows or Mac OS executable that simulates single player DEFCON mobile running on the target platform. This prototype would simulate the screen size and resolution of the target platform, as well as the physical input system. The new platform will provide additional data sets to DEFCON and the prototype will simulate these inputs. The game would need to be interactive, but we would not expect full functionality within the prototype.

Skills

Technical
The successful candidate will need a strong knowledge of modern programming techniques and should be completely at ease with Microsoft Development Studio and C++. The candidate need have no knowledge of the technical details of the target platform.

Project Management
The candidate will be expected to manage their own time, anticipate potential problems and solve them in order to deliver the prototype in time and in budget. To that end, the candidate should have proven project management skills. The candidate will need to provide a project plan and list of key risks and will be expected to provide regular (fortnightly) updates on progress.

Game Design
DEFCON is a finished game, however the new platform will require considerable alterations to the game mechanics. Whilst we have created a design document to broadly scope some of the new features, we would expect the successful candidate to be creative and willing to provide their own game ideas and to point out potential flaws in our concepts as they become apparent.

Resources
Introversion Software owns a small office in South London (SE1). Whilst the candidate is welcome to work at these premises, we are equally content to allow home working. Should the candidate work from home and be UK based, we would hope to physically meet at least twice a month to monitor progress. Should the candidate not be UK based, we would require regular meetings via Skype in order to maintain coherence.

During the prototype phase, Introversion will not be providing any hardware to support the project. The successful candidate must provide their own development equipment.

Introversion will provide a design document for the project, however it is hoped that the candidate will use their own creativity to explore new concepts and ideas.

Introversion will provide the specification for the input system and new data sets provided by the target platform.

Introversion will provide access to the DEFCON code base, via our on-line code repository. We will also provide regular access to the development team in order to provide technical help and creative guidance on the project.

Timescales

Our initial plans suggest that the prototype will require approximately 3 months of full time work.

We are aiming to have a complete prototype finished by the end of September 2007.

Remuneration

The budget for the project is £6000, payable in two initial instalments of £1500 and a completion bonus of £3000.

Application
For more information or to register your interest, please send a CV to mark@introversion.co.uk.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon May 21, 2007 3:18 pm

I wish I knew C++ :(

This is awesome news, either way. I can't wait to hear more about this project!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 pm

I wish I was any good at C++ :(

It looks suspiciously as if in future I'll have a reason to buy a mobile platform and game for once.
Last edited by KingAl on Mon May 21, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 pm

I know C++, unfortunately I'm gonna do part of that job now and manage my time... ok, I have no spare time :'(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon May 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Incidentally, I seem to recall IV having talks with Nintendo, and Shigeru Miyamoto praising Defcon in an interview. Fingers crossed for a DS port, eh? After all, of any mobile platform its touchscreen + stylus combination is ideal for Defcon.
Last edited by KingAl on Mon May 21, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Mon May 21, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm could quickly learn C++ (I know C) but I would only work on linux and would like to use GCC. Plus no spare time.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Interesting, very interesting.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Mon May 21, 2007 4:30 pm

I've just start on looking at C++ from a hobbist POV. So my skills are some what lacking.

I look forward to the news on Mobile Defcon. Hopefully the Windows Mobile Platform is the platform that Mark is referring about. If not looks like I'll be buying another gadget :)
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Mon May 21, 2007 8:38 pm

I would prefer openmoko, but I guess not as he is planning on using visual studio.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue May 22, 2007 6:10 pm

I'd do it, but I know what Uplink's code looks like.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue May 22, 2007 8:39 pm

prophile wrote:I'd do it, but I know what Uplink's code looks like.

I can assure you that from those who have seen the code, NOTHING in Defcon is as bad as ANY code in Uplink ;)

Now, where'd I leave my CV?

NeoThermic
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue May 22, 2007 8:59 pm

NeoThermic wrote:I can assure you that from those who have seen the code, NOTHING in Defcon is as bad as ANY code in Uplink ;) NeoThermic

So it's not worth the £29.99 then?

:wink:
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed May 23, 2007 12:00 am

I've dreamed of Defcon on a PDA since before it was released. What would be amazing would be some kind of Ad-Hoc WiFi capability, global thermonuclear war is surely the best was to pass a boring lecture :D
AtomicPlayboy
level1
level1

'mobile platform'

Postby AtomicPlayboy » Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 am

so, GBA? :D
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu May 24, 2007 2:27 am

Not likely. You'd already be struggling running a Defcon-esque game on the current gameboy generation (or are DSes not Gameboys? I've never been sure).

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch

Return to “Introversion News”