California

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Re: degrees

Postby xander » Mon May 14, 2007 10:45 pm

ynbniar wrote:Been reading some bits and pieces about Half Dome in Yosemite.

Anyone done the hike?

Is the last bit as steep and intimidating as it looks?

:shock:

It isn't a bad hike -- none of the "touristy" hikes in Yosemite are bad at all. As I recall, the trail is well used and well maintained. The last bit is a bit steep, but I wouldn't be intimidated by it. If you are in reasonably good shape, you should be fine. That being said, it gets up to a few thousand feet, so if you are not used to the elevation, it might be a bit rough.

xander
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon May 14, 2007 11:34 pm

xander wrote:That being said, it gets up to a few thousand feet, so if you are not used to the elevation, it might be a bit rough.

xander

Yes, the altitude does worry me a bit, but I'm reasonably fit...did my first marathon last year at Loch Ness and hope to run again this year.

And I've hiked up the Franz Josef Glacier in NZ so that should stand me in good stead for steepness if not altitude.

Unfortunately the highest I can go here is just over 3000ft but I intend to give Half Dome a go as long as the conditions allow it.

Cheers
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 15, 2007 12:37 am

ynbniar wrote:
xander wrote:That being said, it gets up to a few thousand feet, so if you are not used to the elevation, it might be a bit rough.

xander

Yes, the altitude does worry me a bit, but I'm reasonably fit...did my first marathon last year at Loch Ness and hope to run again this year.

And I've hiked up the Franz Josef Glacier in NZ so that should stand me in good stead for steepness if not altitude.

Unfortunately the highest I can go here is just over 3000ft but I intend to give Half Dome a go as long as the conditions allow it.

Cheers

You should be fine. It is a fairly easy hike, really.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”