'Last of the living-room programmers'

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
vic
level2
level2

'Last of the living-room programmers'

Postby vic » Wed May 02, 2007 2:18 pm

I was writing a press release the other day and I caught myself starting it off on auto-pilot with, ‘Introversion Software, self proclaimed “Last of the Bedroom Programmers” are proud to announce…’. It suddenly struck me that this was a lie. Yes, maybe there’s the odd time when an extraordinary attack of the hangover horriblus forces me to set up office in bed with a pack of painkillers and a large vat of coffee, but none of us actually, really, on a daily basis, work in our bedrooms anymore. We’ve upgraded. Some of us work from living-rooms, or gardens or even, self-made offices, and I think all of us would view this as some small sign of progress.

Last week, Introversion headquarters moved. We found a lovely four-storey Georgian town-house in South London, complete with a garden, extremely ostentatious bathroom and a rickety shed at the back of the house, that we can’t decide whether to pack Chris off into, or alternatively (and perhaps more entertainingly) turn into some sort of den of iniquity. Particularly useful as some sort of VIP area perhaps for that outrageously hedonistic housewarming we’re thinking of having…

This move marks a shift in Introversion’s growth and a change that I believe is definitely for the better. For a start, we’re really hoping that this will get us working and thinking much better as a team, something that’s absolutely essential if we have any plans to expand in the future. But also, this move finally gives us enough room to separate personal space from the working environment. Whilst some sentimentalists might bemoan the fact that we are moving away from our bedroom backgrounds, the romantic ideal of working in a bedroom is just that, an ideal, and far from perfect in reality. I for one will not miss the leaping over of DEFCON posters to get into bed; nor the stacks of foam Darwinians hibernating in the wardrobe. We now have proper offices, places for the developers to stay and work, proper storage space for all those game units, and I can finally find a stapler when I need one.

And for all those worried that we might be growing up too fast, they can always rest safe in the knowledge that the IV offices will never be ones devoid of fun. As they say on the Innocent smoothie bottles, if you find yourself in the area, pop in to IV towers to say hello, you never know, we might even sport you a cup of tea.

IV is growing up….but not too much.

KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed May 02, 2007 2:26 pm

I'll be holding you to your word on that tea ;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Re: 'Last of the living-room programmers'

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 pm

vic wrote:...outrageously hedonistic housewarming...
Awesome :D

Congratulations - this really is a step in the right direction, and it's amazing to see how far you've come over the years. If only we all had your ambition! Now, whereabouts in South London...? I need a good cup of tea ;)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed May 02, 2007 3:06 pm

vic wrote:...... a rickety shed at the back of the house, that we can’t decide whether to pack Chris off into.....

You made myself and Aoife damn near make a mess of thank you cards!

Also nice move, I hope to visit one day as long as that is fine with Introversion. What's the new address by the way, have to send you lot a thank you card.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed May 02, 2007 3:31 pm

vic wrote:Particularly useful as some sort of VIP area perhaps for that outrageously hedonistic housewarming we’re thinking of having…

The one we're all invited to, right? :P

Also, what's with the rollerskates on the desk?! I think there needs to be videos of them in action, especially if it's Chris skating, I think that'd be hilarious :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Congratulations! If I ever make it across the pond, I am definitely dropping by for tea.

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed May 02, 2007 8:53 pm

We must find this four-story town house in South London and invade them, stealing all their free tea (is it stealing if it's free?)!

Oh wait, that might put IV out of business. We mustn't do that.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed May 02, 2007 9:15 pm

The new office looks very nice.

A wee while back I splashed out a few hundred quid on a 7800GTX so I could play Oblivion.
Since DefCon I haven't played Oblivion.

Introversion make very good video games...I know that isn't as snappy a line as "last of the bedroom programmers"...but it's the truth.

Your story reminds me of another company...this is an interesting read (if you're an old git like me :wink:)

http://dmadesign.org/

All the best.
Last edited by ynbniar on Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Wed May 02, 2007 10:03 pm

Friends, Programmers, and Gamers Lend IV your Tea Leafs! Just imagine if 20-30 people decended up IVHQ demanding British Tea.

seriously, Get a spare room with a self serving drinks bar (support Coffee/tea/soft drinks/other :) ), with an retro arcade box, with a couple of comfy sofas and a couple of Wide screen PCs with Defcon and MultiWinia, It's a great Idea I assure you :)
AtomicPlayboy
level1
level1

elitehaus

Postby AtomicPlayboy » Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm

The power of physical proximity cannot be underestimated.

The very best demo prods have all come out of 'elitehaus' - where a bunch of sceners rent a house for 2 weeks and crank out something awesome, or just come up with the tech and ideas, then work on content for a year or so afterwards.
FR's .the .product, The Popular Demo, kkreiger 96k game and recently 'Debris' all came out of elitehaus.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu May 03, 2007 8:31 am

vic wrote:...outrageously hedonistic housewarming we’re thinking of having…

...nor the stacks of foam Darwinians hibernating in the wardrobe...

Sounds good ;)

and I'll look after any foam darwinians you want to get rid of :D
Last edited by martin on Thu May 03, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
ZakGordon
level0

Postby ZakGordon » Thu May 03, 2007 9:31 am

“Last of the Bedroom Programmers” never was just a literal phrase to me when i read it(and your back story on the founding of IV). So even if you do end up in a swanky studio office with all the mod-cons(and the price to match) at some point, as long as you keep true to your ethos and produce the kind of games you want to; well i don't think anyone will begrudge you the label.

The new pad looks good - I hope you got access to some nice green spaces, south london has some of the best parks from my experience, and they can help 'un-stick' the creative process I find - nice for summer time also. Good luck on the new move and I hope you all enjoy it :)
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Thu May 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Nice boots :)
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
n3o77
level3
level3

Postby n3o77 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:15 am

Cool and the gang.
Brings a smile to my face to see you guys turning out quality material and making a living from something that most of us can only dream of doing :)

All the best guys (and Vic) Hope it all works out :)
ALSO,
Giz a job, self proclaimed graphical guru, long time fanboy, many many children to feed. very cheap ( Sometimes even free ;))
dINGLE
level0

Postby dINGLE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:46 pm

hmmm, foam darwinians... how much would it cost to buy one?

Return to “Introversion Blog”