Big words....yup.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Icepick
level5
level5

Re: It's all in your head, Part 5

Postby Icepick » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Chris wrote:Image
With my doom map importer finished and working, I then made the final connection by re-exporting the doom map in my own map file format, and then loaded that result up in Subversion’s simple map editor. Doom maps don’t really work in the same was as Subversion maps (our maps don't support arbitrary floor and ceiling heights yet), but if you look closely (and you know Doom reasonably well) you should be able to recognise the map from the game.

Level 6, Central Processing ;)
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:38 am

Chris wrote:There’s also something really exciting about hacking through someone else’s data file and importing their data – generally you have a mess of nonsense on screen for a while, then you make some crucial fix – some intuitive leap about the data’s inner workings, and suddenly you’re looking at an incredible 3d model that some level designer has spent hours working on.

Tell me about it - I had the exact same experiences while pulling your data apart for the ModSuite (which by the way is about to be updated) :roll:

Just seeing the borders, cities and coastlines fit neatly on that map - for the first time ... *sigh*

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 pm

How the hell did I miss this...? anyway, looking incredibly cool, far better than the original doom :D:D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Trident
level2
level2

Postby Trident » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 am

Icepick wrote:
Chris wrote:Image
With my doom map importer finished and working, I then made the final connection by re-exporting the doom map in my own map file format, and then loaded that result up in Subversion’s simple map editor. Doom maps don’t really work in the same was as Subversion maps (our maps don't support arbitrary floor and ceiling heights yet), but if you look closely (and you know Doom reasonably well) you should be able to recognise the map from the game.

Level 6, Central Processing ;)

You beat me to it!... the far left was the dead giveaway (at least for me). after looking back at several of these maps i noticed that the designers sure loved symmetry
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:59 pm

For some reason Central Processing made me think someone was referring to Brazil, but that was Central Services. Now I demand someone makes a Brazil inspired computer game of some description, with a dystopic broken society et al.

This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:11 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:For some reason Central Processing made me think someone was referring to Brazil, but that was Central Services. Now I demand someone makes a Brazil inspired computer game of some description, with a dystopic broken society et al.

This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt.

Sugar powered cars for the win!
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Rkiver wrote:
BrianBlessed wrote:For some reason Central Processing made me think someone was referring to Brazil, but that was Central Services. Now I demand someone makes a Brazil inspired computer game of some description, with a dystopic broken society et al.

If four is four, and five is fish, what is six plus an onion?

Shwart!!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Shwart!! wrote:
Rkiver wrote:

If four is four, and five is fish, what is six plus an onion?

Shwart!!

Well, Rkiver says 73. I'm inclined to agree :)

NeoThermic
irked_penguin
level0

Postby irked_penguin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Do we have a clue to what this game actually is? If we do, then you can just skip this because from here on out I'm speculating...

According to Wikipedia(this is a great way to start my first post)"Subversive activity is the lending of aid, comfort, and moral support to individuals, groups, or organizations that advocate the overthrow of incumbent governments by force and violence. All willful acts that are intended to be detrimental to the best interests of the government and that do not fall into the categories of treason, sedition, sabotage, or espionage are placed in the category of subversive activity." We've seen city streets and corperate coridors, so it would make sence to me that Subversion is a game where you play an activist of some sort and over throw a city/corperation RTS style. Anythoughts?
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm pretty sure Doom maps are BASED around using BSP trees...
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:19 am

Really interesting stuff. I used to design the odd level for doom.

It's interesting to further speculate on the game. We know it models whole cities procedurally, and we know it is going to take them down to a level of office block detail. Even more so, we've seen hints of further details on a level of office furniture.

This is great in itself. But no idea on how the gameplay will manifest itself. I would be truley suprised if it is going to take on an FPS style of gameplay, but it seems it may incorporate some of that close detail. I think I read this is to be multiplayer - in which case we have the potential for an intricate, city wide, possibly squad based abstract combat sim...? That would be good thing...
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:00 am

I envision a huge game of Pacman, based initially around an office structure and slowly increasing in scale, ghosts vaulting from continent to continent. Or, not.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:09 pm

*cough*X-COM*cough*

:D
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:43 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
koorb wrote:I don't see why you would be having performance issues. But when that happens it is almost always because you are doing something that you can avoid doing, either by not doing it, wasting some other resource like memory tackling the problem, optimising or by cheating.

*Sigh*. Ok, each wall is semi-transparent. This involves depth sorting. This involves physically altering the scene. This makes it impossible to use static storage types like display lists. This means Chris must either use immediate mode, or implement some form of BSP trees.

(Actually it arises because one can move about the scene. If you can keep the observer static, you can get away with a pre-computed depth buffer and thus use a static storage type, but alas if you want your work to actually be goddamn useful, you can't have the observer static!)

So in this case, he can either avoid making the walls semi-transparent, but that ruins the style, you can't burn memory faking it as that's fucking expensive in terms of bus talk, you can't cheat the effect and finally, the optimisation of what he needs to do is to re-implement the data in a way that allows the kind of effects done to it.

If any of the above isn't correct, then you're more than welcome to slap me for not paying attention in lectures :P

NeoThermic

Actually, he could use vertex arrays there rather than immediate mode. And a quadtree might help by stopping rendering of unused vertices.

You are correct about the depth sorting, but not correct that it can't be made more efficient :)

Return to “Introversion Blog”