Introversion announces Multiwinia

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am

I suggest all the servers be from intro (like a main one) I know this will be difficult to implement but will solve lots of problems like slow host, laggy host, vote kick, vote kill and change map.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:10 am

Hmm, I agree. I hope Introversion adjust the server/client model slightly. (Even if it is just to release a dedicated server!)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:10 am

Wasgood wrote:I suggest all the servers be from intro (like a main one) I know this will be difficult to implement but will solve lots of problems like slow host, laggy host, vote kick, vote kill and change map.

If you're taking that angle then independent dedicated servers (perhaps pointed to by a central server as currently works with Defcon) would be the better option - otherwise the expense alone would be prohibitive.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am

Oh wow another beautiful piece of timewasting, mind-warping, white-knuckling software. Ah, might as well follow my real feelings on the matter....

WOOT! YOU GO, IV! WE'LL BE WAITING! ~_~
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:27 am

KingAl wrote:
Wasgood wrote:I suggest all the servers be from intro (like a main one) I know this will be difficult to implement but will solve lots of problems like slow host, laggy host, vote kick, vote kill and change map.

If you're taking that angle then independent dedicated servers (perhaps pointed to by a central server as currently works with Defcon) would be the better option - otherwise the expense alone would be prohibitive.

yeah, dedicated servers for both darwinia and defcon would be nice :D

Maybe, a whole load of independant dedicated servers in a totally dynamic MMO:Darwinia XD
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:30 am

I cannot wait, I've just replayed darwinia (its very rare for me to replay games) and it reminded me how much I love it. I've tried creating massive battles between darwinians but normally it doesn't really work. The thing IV have to get right is the networking. If there are too many bugs it'll just be plain annoying and ppl won't play eg Worms 3D. It seems to work with Defcon so hopefully Iv can pull it off in their typical style. And as Iris said, we'll be waiting
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:40 am

Iris wrote:WOOT!

W00t, woman, w00t!
Rosti
level2
level2

Postby Rosti » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Argh! I felt bad enough losing Darwinians in single player - don't get me wrong, this news puts us one step closer to UpDefWinia and is 'CrazyCool'tm!

I think I'm going to pre-emptively count some chickens: Tips hat at IV.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 pm

martin, consensus has been reached. You need to die a firey death. Thank you.
juice
level1
level1

Postby juice » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:56 pm

That's cool news - though I'd like to see the new Vista patch make it's way down the line first, so people who bought the game on the day of release can benefit too :lol:

Multiplayer Darwinia is an intriguing concept - in the existing game, it's not too far off 19th century warfare as seen in Russia/China: a vast rabble of vaguely disciplined peasant masses (darwinians), who are instructed on where to go by officers and backed up by cannonfire (soldiers). Which means it doesn't involve the RTS micromanagement which tends to drive me mad - though admittedly, this is because you've effectively only got two types of troops!

It was great, in the later levels, to be able to essentially set up paths from the spawning grounds and build up a vast army of peons, before unleashing them on the reds. I suspect that there'll be a lot of balancing required - especially around soldiers and cannons - as it stands, a set of soldiers can make mincemeat out of darwinians...
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Cool :)

Flame Units at the ready...... What about having a "fog-of-war" and scout units the D5 and Darwinian Glider would be ideal ;)
[wears flame proof clothing]

Glider Unit

The D5

Images resized, sorry :oops:
Last edited by desktopsimmer on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:58 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:martin, consensus has been reached. You need to die a firey death. Thank you.

is this an opinion reached over a long time or something because of what I just said Mr Anon? (you've written some great music by the way - well done)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:25 pm

My eyes, may beautiful eyes! May the great spline gods have mercy upon us all.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Oh god! The stretch! The stretch!

Please link or thumbnail the first image. It causes horrible stretch on my sub-par res (1024x768).

Edit: Or not, since we're on a new page.

Anyway, this only reminds me of a want (in Multiwinia) of a Server Browser based on the outer space renderings. How cool (and difficult) would it be finding servers in that thing.

I'm sure the rocket in the demo will have something to do with it, as well. You know, because it's cool.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:50 pm

Omg, they have to have that as an option for the world menu!

In fact... maybe an MMO darwinia with all those nods marked green or red for allied or enemy darwinians; each level procedurally generated... anyway.

Return to “Introversion News”