Introversion announces Multiwinia

The forum with all your Introversion News!
ewanm
level3
level3

Linux

Postby ewanm » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:14 pm

Please say there will be a linux version.
I am still waiting for linux defcon.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:59 pm

I am pleased.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Best. Damn. News. Ever.

Move over Total War!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:50 pm

Considering it was almost working during the beta, wohoo!

Definately cannot wait for this.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 am

Cool.
ghostDancer
level2
level2

Postby ghostDancer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:34 am

No not again, now another long and desperate wait, i hate you Introversion, well at least i can beguin to keep money for it , if they say 2008 maybe for Jan 2010 there will be a Linux beta, so if i now keep 1 euro each month i should have enough for it :wink: . For then maybe i'll have a better computer also so not that bad.

Great news !!!

Member of Introversion Addicts Society.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished:

if you're alive, it isn't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:49 am

oh! what if it's a persistient world? Like a RPG? except it has modding capibilities which means people can EDIT the levels??? and trunkports connect to other places on the server, which would be a real server?

eyra
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:54 am

Testrie wrote:oh! what if it's a persistient world? Like a RPG? except it has modding capibilities which means people can EDIT the levels??? and trunkports connect to other places on the server, which would be a real server?

eyra

Keep on dreaming, Testrie.

xander
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:12 am

xander wrote:
Testrie wrote:oh! what if it's a persistient world? Like a RPG? except it has modding capibilities which means people can EDIT the levels??? and trunkports connect to other places on the server, which would be a real server?

eyra

Keep on dreaming, Testrie.

xander

yes I will, Xander.

eyra
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 am

that is a total bummer it won't be an upgrade, more so for the fact that I purchased the game and a multiplayer component based upon the game should be free, especially since there is already multiplayer code in Darwinia and it was sort of planned from the beginning (or so I heard)

I kinda understand though since there is little copy protection on the boxed copies? I'm not sure about that because I own the Steam version.

And there's the argument "well they did extra coding that they didnt have to do so they deserve being paid for it". While I don't blame them for feeling taht way but look at Valve..they didnt have to make hl2dm but they did, although it isnt the best it's atleast something, and I know Valve is a big company and all but still...

When I buy a game it usually has a multiplayer component free. It wouldnt bug me as much but since Multiwinia (according to the Article) even comes with the Single Player aspect it just makes me wary about purchasing Introversion products in the future right away, unless the Single Player part is 100% different from the original (which I don't see how it could be, or else wouldnt they call it Darwinia II?? Instead of Multiwinia.)

I probably will buy it, it just seems like a cheap thing to do and a real "who cares about the fans" kind of thing. If it cost more than 20 bucks off steam I'll just give it a pass really. It's not about the money its more about the principle of the thing..

I just bought this game 2 or so weeks ago too and if I knew about this I would have just got my friend to burnt it for me since he's the one who told me about it. (I know that sentence might offend IV and if it does I'll remove it, but since I bought it I shouldnt have to but I will to avoid being banned)

I know I'm being really assumptive here but I wouldnt be suprised if what I say turns out to be true.

I hope we still get that patch that has all the Vista improvements right?

(oh and Darwinia/Introversion fanboys and loyalists don't flame or anything as I was constructive and have respect for Introversion and their products)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:50 am

To be honest, my anticipation is actually greater due to the fact that it's a standalone product. If the addition were a patch (much like the addition of LANs with Nakatomi) one wouldn't expect them to do much more than provide multiplayer support (not to imply that IV does anything in halves), but in knowing that it's standalone I also know that it'll have the content to justify the move.

You note "when I buy a game, it usually has a multiplayer component free", did you consider that most of these games are also over twice the price of Darwinia? If I were you I'd be praising how generously IV have priced Darwinia already. Indeed, your argument contradicts itself - you argue that most games you buy have a multiplayer component free, and then that Valve didn't 'have to' release HL2:DM.
I heartily disagree with your assertion that it's a 'cash in': while IV is no longer limping along as it was during the development of Darwinia, as an independent company they need all the money they can get. The reality is that first and foremost, the business needs to remain sustainable, and while if they were making a few hasty changes and booting the product out the door one might protest, this is a considerable project that is being undertaken, as evidenced by the expected release date.

Nevertheless, it would be good to have the question of single-player inclusion cleared up. The press release notes "as well as the traditional single player mode..." - does this consist of the original single player levels, or new levels which can demonstrate the new features etc. implemented for Multiwinia?
Atomos
level1
level1

Postby Atomos » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:33 am

Great! When starts the Beta test phase? :)

Thomas
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 am

eyra

you know I had an idea like that once... that would be soo cool! imagine having your servers always active - with your individual colour of darwinians defending 24/7; /drool.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:49 am

martin wrote:you know I had an idea like that once... that would be soo cool! imagine having your servers always active - with your individual colour of darwinians defending 24/7; /drool.

So has everybody else ;)

...or at least Spacemonkey.

EDIT: Whoops, linked to the wrong one.
Last edited by KingAl on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 am

inre: KingAl

I didn't mean they didnt have to make HL2m like, I wouldnt have cared anyway..I was bummed HL2 didn't have multiplayer (besides css). I'm not sure you understand what I meant by that part, and I could have put it in better words. What I meant really was that they could have walked away and done nothing but they were at least kind enough to release HL2DM free for owners of HL2..when it wasn't planned or anything. In that sense they were under no obligation to make HL2DM, yet they did it anyway..kind of a nice gesture if you ask me. That's what I meant on that aspect, hope that clears it up a bit.

I understand most games that include MP are over double the price but not to offend Introversion or their skills, it's just it's kinda understandable since the games we both are referring to are more complex in there code, sound, etc and it just makes more sense that way. Darwinia is a very short easy, and it has a good style but that graphics aren't as techincally stunning as say....F.E.A.R., Far Cry, Etc. Not to mention marketing costs, engine license fees, bigger coding team its more understandable but dont get me wrong, I still get angry when games ship out with no MP.

It's too early to judge and Like I said I'm being assumptive but if Multiwinia's gameplay is different from Darwinia (ya know, Same but not Exactly) and it included that kind of SP campaign I wouldnt be buggered as much as if it included the Original Darwinian campaign, I'd feel cheated especially since it's quite early to make a remake already.

I forgot about IV being a really small company, and then being screwed by Strategy First and needing something to bring in Revenue..so it's understandable that they couldnt do a F.E.A.R. (free MP for everyone, even people who dont own FEAR)

If I had a choice though, of choosing between Multiwinia or a new game from Introversion, I would most certainly pick the latter. But, I seen on here they are making another game so..best of both worlds.

Anyways, I'll drop my argument I know it won't change anything and I'll just wish IV the best of luck and to say I'll most likely purchase Multiwinia (even if it has the same SP campaign) and I'll love it and ask for seconds. Bright side is it was only 20 bucks, and if Multiwinia costs 30 bucks then that's a major game co. price there and worth it really because Darwinia is a good game.

Return to “Introversion News”