Your favourite gaming genre

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your favourite gaming genre?

Shooter
7%
Arcade
2%
RPG
11%
Fighting
No votes
Strategy
52%
Simulation
2%
Godgames
2%
Sports
No votes
Combination
15%
Special, please specify
9%

Total votes: 46
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:37 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Bleh, you won't need me to extend the poll options limit then :P

Although the next poll will work out great with 10 options, I'd really like to be able to add another 2. I hope I can convince you :D!

Jelco

I think we need a poll to settle this! Personally, I think the poll series is (so far) a pretty good success and warrants adding two more.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:15 pm

wwarnick wrote:Then again, it depends on the purpose of the game. There are some movies that aren't watchable more than a few times (too sad, too long, too distracting), but you won't dispute that they are some of the best. The same could go for games. Then again, what company would publish such a game? The point, though, is that lack of replayability might not make the game of lesser quality (in those rare situations).

wwarnick

I agree with this point. Pan's Labyrinth is a movie that I don't want to sit through again, but it is probably one of the best films made in the last few years. Grave of the Fireflies is a very important film, in my opinion, but I don't want to sit through it again. However, I think that those movies are fairly rare, and that, while they exist, most of the best movies can be watched again and again. Furthermore, there are qualities in the movies that are superlative to such a degree that, even though they are hard to watch more than once, they are truly great films. Okami, while it is visually interesting, is somewhat simplistic in mechanics, and drags on for too long.

Let me put it another way -- the original point was about first impressions. I don't think that it is possible to judge a work until you have seen it in its entirety. If a game or movie gives a great first impression, but never really goes anywhere, can it really be said to be a great work? Okami is visually stunning, is one of a very few games to use gestures on a console (though the Wii should take some of that from it -- Okami would be great for the Wii), but the combat system is a bit simplistic, and the story is unnecessarily drawn out.

xander
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Pans Labyrinth is brilliant! Though I doubt I could sit through it too many times without a considerable time gap.
deltantor
level2
level2

Postby deltantor » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Im a RTS gamer all the way, ive played the command and conquer series a lot, BFME2 for the xbox 360 was good, and i cant wait for cnc3, already preordered it and the bonus disk rocks
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:33 pm

A fun game I've been playing is Narbacular Drop, which was made by the group of Digipen students that were hired to do Portal for Valve. It's an incomplete puzzle game (the game ends just before you meet the boss; thus, you never meet him); however, it uses portals, and though the game as a whole is very very simplistic, bouncing around the room through portals is very addictive.

wwarnick
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:51 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:I think we need a poll to settle this! Personally, I think the poll series is (so far) a pretty good success and warrants adding two more.

Indeed. Something Like:

Prospective poll wrote: How many poll options should there be?
Oh dear, we can't fit any more.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:16 am

Ace, you've been pwned.

wwarnick
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 am

If IV games are so unique,why isn't there a IV game genere option

I voted stratergy
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 am

Because they can still be classified.

Uplink is a sim, just a very bad one in terms of reflecting reality.
Darwinia could be argued to be an RTS that focusses largely on territory control, which considering almost all others are "GATHER SHIT, BUILD SHIT, RUIN SHIT, REPEAT" is fairly unique.
Defcon is an RTS which focusses on nothing but damage and damage control; you can have your naval units completely blown out of the water, your buildings could be but a distant memory, but as long as the other guy isn't getting as many kills as you, you're winning.
Multiwinia might as well be likened to Darwinia, there's no reason not to.
Cnl_Death
level2
level2

Postby Cnl_Death » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 am

Strategy for the win...... :roll: I just seem to get so much more out of them, like they involve the character more than a shooter where you just mindlessly blow people away...... :cry: Besides you generally can't use nuclear weapons in shooters :twisted:
War Is Hell But Peace Is Boring
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Why?
Nakatomi is coming

Return to “Introversion Lounge”