Site Traffic Statistics

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:24 pm

xander wrote:
BrianBlessed wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:But most people who use an alternative OS do know a little about computers, however.

Except mac users, who just wear beanies, clothes with graffiti on and terrible glasses.

I don't wear a beanie or graffiti covered clothing, and I happen to think that my glasses are rather nice. :(

xander


That's xandor you're thinking of, who incidentally uses Linspire.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
alphager
level3
level3
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby alphager » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:40 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:That's xandor you're thinking of, who incidentally uses Linspire.

Which is the PC equivalent to using an italian-made Chevy Beetle.
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:20 am

Sylph-DS wrote:
KingAl wrote:Read what is written on the page, my young padawan.

I never said that all who use the site were unable to keep their computers spyware free, merely that a large number of people, perhaps most, who use windows don't know much about computers. This conjecture still allows for those who use windows and understand the things.


Actually, saying that would be saying that most people that do know much about computers use an alternative OS. Which, sadly, is bullocks.

Anyway, who cares? ;)

Absolutely true.

MrBunsy wrote:But most people who use an alternative OS do know a little about computers, however.

Except for macs. I'd argue that most mac users these days were influenced in their decision by the ads and the mac's appearance rather than by anything technical. Any other os, however, would require some technical knowledge.

There are two things I already like about Macs that aren't anywhere to be found on PCs (for free at least): GarageBand and PhotoBooth. I've searched and searched for Windows alternatives but can't find a single one. There are some looping programs out there, but none as cool as GarageBand, and I can't find a single program that does the same thing as PhotoBooth.

wwarnick
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:43 am

Since OSX has been released, more and more computer professionals/researchers have been moving to Macs because it has a BSD core. A lot of Mac users are really knowledgeable about their systems (a lot aren't).
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:34 am

wwarnick wrote:Absolutely true.


Pah! You silly people - you need to regain a grasp of basic logic. Even if *most* who use Windows don't understand computers, there is a minority who do. Indeed, imagine that, as well as this, *most* who understand computers also use Windows. It is entirely possible that those who don't understand computers but say, use them for work, outnumber those who do understand them. Thus, it is possible for most who use Windows not to understand computers, and still have people who *do* understand computers using it primarily.
Notice also, that I didn't use the word 'all' even once in my original statement. Notice also, that this even allows for people who don't understand computers to be using alternative OSes.

The only way what I said could mean what you think would be if it were: "All people who use Microsoft software don't know the first thing about computers." I did not. I said 'a lot (most?)'. The 'most' is an assertion, but there is no question that a large number of people who use Windows don't know much about computers.

If you're going to agree with someone, check that what they're saying makes sense.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:26 am

KingAl wrote:
wwarnick wrote:Absolutely true.


Pah! You silly people - you need to regain a grasp of basic logic. Even if *most* who use Windows don't understand computers, there is a minority who do. Indeed, imagine that, as well as this, *most* who understand computers also use Windows. It is entirely possible that those who don't understand computers but say, use them for work, outnumber those who do understand them. Thus, it is possible for most who use Windows not to understand computers, and still have people who *do* understand computers using it primarily.
Notice also, that I didn't use the word 'all' even once in my original statement. Notice also, that this even allows for people who don't understand computers to be using alternative OSes.

The only way what I said could mean what you think would be if it were: "All people who use Microsoft software don't know the first thing about computers."
I did not. I said 'a lot (most?)'. The 'most' is an assertion, but there is no question that a large number of people who use Windows don't know much about computers.

If you're going to agree with someone, check that what they're saying makes sense.

Even if we assume that only 5% of Windows users actually know what they are doing, and that 50% of other OS users know what they are doing, there are more Windows users that know what they are doing than other OS users -- i.e. most people who know what they are doing use Windows. That is not a shocking statement. It is very hard to dispute.

A more interesting think to know would be what percentage of Windows users know what they are doing compared to what percentage of other OS users know what they are doing. I would be willing to bet that Mac and Windows users would be roughly comparable, and that Linux/BSD/*nix users would, in general, be much more knowledgeable, on average, as a percentage of total users of the OS.

xander
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:32 am

Indeed. That is exactly what I was trying to say.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:26 am

KingAl wrote:Indeed. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

Very good then.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests