Introversion announces amBX version of DEFCON

The forum with all your Introversion News!
vic
level2
level2

Introversion announces amBX version of DEFCON

Postby vic » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Greetings one and all,

An exciting piece of news this end as we announced today our decision to team up with Philips to create an amBX enabled version of DEFCON. It should be an interesting project and we're looking forward to seeing where the technology will go in the future. For more info, see below, a press release that we released today to the games press.

November 30, 2006: London

Introversion Software Ltd. announced today that it was teaming up with Philips to produce an amBX version of DEFCON. In time, the company also hopes to amBX enable their two previous critically acclaimed titles: Darwinia and Uplink.

Created by Philips, amBX is the latest in ambient intelligence technology, designed to bring the game world into the immediate present of the gamer’s living room. Using a scripting language, software engine and architecture, amBX will be able to deliver a full ‘sensory surround experience’ by creating hardware that can control the light, colour, sound and even air flow of your surroundings. Developers will work with a range of amBX PC Gaming Peripherals products including LED colour-controlled lighting, rumble peripherals and desktop fans, which can be strategically placed around the player’s room.

‘In all honesty we were initially a bit skeptical about amBX – a lot of peripherals have been released on the PC that have added very little to the experience’ remarked Mark Morris, Managing Director of Introversion, ‘but we recently visited the AmBX team in person and sat in their demo room, and the stuff they showed us just blew us away. The potential for this technology is enormous; we have only begun to scratch the surface, and there is undoubtedly a lot of exciting further experimentation we can do to maximize the gaming experience.’

DEFCON is the latest offering from indie-developers, Introversion, which enjoyed a successful launch in September 2006. DEFCON is an online multiplayer strategy game simulating global thermonuclear war. The game, inspired by the 1983 cult-classic film Wargames, superbly evokes the tension, paranoia and suspicion surrounding the Cold War era.

‘amBX and DEFCON are ideally suited to each other’, commented Chris Delay, Lead Developer at Introversion, ‘With our third game DEFCON we spent a huge amount of time trying to create the atmosphere of being buried deep within an underground bunker, slowly ending the world in the last war that will ever be fought. amBX is ideally suited to enhancing that atmosphere, taking it out of the confines of what’s right in front of you on-screen, and expanding it into your whole room.’

Combining DEFCON with amBX brings the whole messy scenario of nuclear war direct to the player’s bedroom. Flashes of blinding white light and gentle rumbles indicate when your missiles have hit home. Whilst a spine-chilling rush of air announces the raining down of fallout on millions of innocents. Meanwhile the dread of realisation approaches as the lights fade, the music slows, and your population withers. DEFCON amBX is a harrowing experience that will ensure you’re never so blasé about thermonuclear global war again.

Media contacts

Vicky Arundel at Introversion Software Ltd.
Tel: +44 (0) 7754 971465
Email: vic@introversion.co.uk

About Introversion

Heralded as 'the last of the bedroom programmers', Introversion Software is a UK based independent games developer and publisher founded in 2001 by three university students. Starting out with a just £600, no advertising budget, and relying solely on the power of word-of-mouth, Introversion Software went on to produce the highly acclaimed, genre-defining, cult hacking sim, Uplink. Three years later, Introversion released Darwinia – a highly innovative retro action game combining an innovative mix of RTS Gameplay and Arcade Action with spectacular graphics and iconic references to the halcyon days of gaming. Like Uplink it proved a massive hit with the press, and in March 2006 Darwinia was awarded three awards at the Independent Games Festival. DEFCON was launched in September 2006, scoring an impressive review average of 85%+.

For more information on all of Introversion's projects please visit www.introversion.co.uk

About Royal Philips Electronics
Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is a global leader in healthcare, lifestyle and technology, delivering products, services and solutions through the brand promise of “sense and simplicity”. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs approximately 125,500 employees in more than 60 countries worldwide. With sales of EUR 30.4 billion in 2005, the company is a market leader in medical diagnostic imaging and patient monitoring systems, energy efficient lighting solutions, personal care and home appliances, as well as consumer electronics.

News from Philips is located at www.philips.com/newscenter. For more info on amBX visit www.ambx.com
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:02 pm

That is way too cool.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Hmmm...

Looks intresting :)

NeoThermic
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:18 pm

way too cool...
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:19 pm

Damn introversion. Now I'm gonna have to spend money on this.

As to how much. All I could find was amBX.com .

[3] how much does it cost?

The cost comes in two parts: the software (and games are already affordable) and the devices that are required to create the amBX experience in your room. amBX is an enabling technology, and we are currently licensing the amBX ‘experience engine’ to developers, publishers and other media providers, as well as hardware, peripheral and device manufacturers. The first hardware providers have announced different configurations to suit different tastes and budgets.

Is that a "If you need to ask, you can't afford it"?
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:20 pm

if it is so.... then im dead
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:43 pm

Wow!

I can't wait for this

Although I don't want to begin to speculate when it will be released... or how much will cost :D
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:49 pm

Seem as i am the only one who thinks that overprized little fans, LEDs and speakers do not add much to a game.
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:51 am

alphager wrote:Seem as i am the only one who thinks that overprized little fans, LEDs and speakers do not add much to a game.

I was inclined to think that, but, then I read this

‘In all honesty we were initially a bit skeptical about amBX – a lot of peripherals have been released on the PC that have added very little to the experience’ remarked Mark Morris, Managing Director of Introversion, ‘but we recently visited the AmBX team in person and sat in their demo room, and the stuff they showed us just blew us away. The potential for this technology is enormous; we have only begun to scratch the surface, and there is undoubtedly a lot of exciting further experimentation we can do to maximize the gaming experience.’

IV have seen it, and seem to think it has alot of potential. And, they seem to have pretty good taste. I'm trusting IV on this one, since they don't seem to do things 'just for the money'. I would like to think that if they didn't think the system was worth the cost, they wouldn't make a version of the game speifically for it.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:31 am

I think I'm gonna wait and see on this one. It's a very cool idea, but I'm still not 100% convinced.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:06 pm

dammit, how's my dad gonna react to me converting the living room into a total simulation of a nuclear war.
Last edited by martin on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:09 pm

martin wrote:a nuclear was.

/tries to think of something funny to say
/fails
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

MadSeven
level2
level2

Postby MadSeven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:38 pm

I ...
want ...
it ...

Yeah, that and what xander said. How come he is right so often?

MadSeven
DefconMatch.com
MadSeven
level2
level2

Postby MadSeven » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 pm

Lastof wrote:Damn introversion. Now I'm gonna have to spend money on this.

As to how much. All I could find was amBX.com .

[3] how much does it cost?

The cost comes in two parts: the software (and games are already affordable) and the devices that are required to create the amBX experience in your room. amBX is an enabling technology, and we are currently licensing the amBX ‘experience engine’ to developers, publishers and other media providers, as well as hardware, peripheral and device manufacturers. The first hardware providers have announced different configurations to suit different tastes and budgets.

Is that a "If you need to ask, you can't afford it"?

From Philips amBX site;

Philips amBX PC Gaming Peripherals range will launch with the following four kits: a $199 starter kit which contains a directional wall washer light, controller unit and satellite lights; a $299 Pro-Gamer Kit which includes a directional wall washer light, a controller unit, satellite 2.1 speaker lights and subwoofer; a $99 Extension Kit featuring a set of desk fans and wrist rumbler. For the ultimate gamer, a $399 Premium Kit encompasses all of the above.

MadSeven
DefconMatch.com
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 pm

MadSeven wrote:a $199 starter kit

#%@&

Return to “Introversion News”