Wii!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
trickfred
level5
level5

Wii!

Postby trickfred » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:25 pm

wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Elaborate.

wwarnick
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:03 pm

wwarnick wrote:Elaborate.

wwarnick

It is, isn't it? [/deliberatemisreading]
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:02 pm

That's you in the Wii-mote costume, isn't it, trickfred?

xander
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:04 pm

That's how he and his girl met.

wwarnick
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:10 pm

wwarnick wrote:That's how he and his girl met.

wwarnick

...wartnick, I'll refrain from berating you for being a pompous, unfunny dickweed, since I'm in a good mood - the wife and I managed to procure a Wii this morning from a store that nearly everyone seemed to forget was there - wound up number 5 of 13. We saw several Best Buys with lines that wrapped around 3 sides of the buildings. And that was at 6AM. :P

After working all night, then drinking unhealthy amounts of hot chocolate and orange soda all morning in search of a 'podunk' department store location, I'm home and waiting for my DS WiFi dongle-thingy to connect so I can hop on the Wii and download Donkey Kong and Bonk's Adventure. :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:06 pm

trickfred wrote:
wwarnick wrote:That's how he and his girl met.

wwarnick

...wartnick, I'll refrain from berating you for being a pompous, unfunny dickweed, since I'm in a good mood - the wife and I managed to procure a Wii this morning from a store that nearly everyone seemed to forget was there - wound up number 5 of 13. We saw several Best Buys with lines that wrapped around 3 sides of the buildings. And that was at 6AM. :P

After working all night, then drinking unhealthy amounts of hot chocolate and orange soda all morning in search of a 'podunk' department store location, I'm home and waiting for my DS WiFi dongle-thingy to connect so I can hop on the Wii and download Donkey Kong and Bonk's Adventure. :D

Congrats on the Revolu-- Wii. I hope you and your wife have fun with it :) I will probably get mine in about three years, when I have run out of PS2 games to play, and I can get a used one for $50 or less, just like I did with my PS2 (which I have had for almost a year now!).

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:47 pm

xander wrote:Congrats on the Revolu-- Wii. I hope you and your wife have fun with it :) I will probably get mine in about three years, when I have run out of PS2 games to play, and I can get a used one for $50 or less, just like I did with my PS2 (which I have had for almost a year now!).

xander

Part of the reason I got it was for the Virtual Console, to reminisce in all the old classics - but it only had a selection of like 10 games. More than half the ones supposedly available at launch... weren't. :(

(Altered Beast was fun though, after many years. Wise fwom your gwave!)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:09 pm

trickfred wrote:Wise fwom your gwave!

Heh. That brings back memories. I had forgotten about the virtual console. Maybe I will wait until it drops below $150 used, rather than $50.

xander
GAMER1992
level1
level1

Postby GAMER1992 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:22 pm

I want a Wii!!!!! Lucky me i am currently checking some cheap Wii´s up on Ebay 8)
Let me present Me, Myself & I
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:32 pm

Computer > Console
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:34 pm

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:Computer > Console

Justify that statement. If you cannot, I will assume that you are just trolling.

xander
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:41 pm

Processor is better, Video card is better, RAM is better. Plus it is completely legal to mod a comp than to mod a console. Also you only need to upgrade a computer and it is good for a while whereas it seems that console go out of date very fast. There is also a much wider selection of computer games. Computer games dont need to pay for a service to play interweb games (the only thing you need to pay for is the connection, or you can steal your neighbors) whereas you need to pay for xbox live. Does this prove I am not a troll?
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 pm

I don't think either console or pc beats each other overall for definate.

I mean I love gaming with friends on the same console. I like the whole controller aspect of it. I ike that whatever game you buy, it is going to work flawlessly, where as Pc requires you to update constantly, and might not work to the standard you want.

Pc has messaging programs and easy musical use etc. The graphics can be better than consoles, if you have a good enough one. I lke being able to play certain games over Pc, such as RTS's.

It all depends on what I want to do at the particular moment. If I want music, it is the Pc, if I want some fun co op action with a friend, nothing beats the trusty console.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:50 am

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:Processor is better, Video card is better, RAM is better.

Maybe. It depends on how new your computer is.

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:Plus it is completely legal to mod a comp than to mod a console.

Granted.

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:Also you only need to upgrade a computer and it is good for a while whereas it seems that console go out of date very fast.

I disagree. On my PS2, I can play any game that was made for a PS2. That includes games that came out five years ago, when the PS2 was launched, games that are out today, and games that will come out in the future. If I were to buy a PC for gaming, how long would it be before I need to to upgrade it? How often would I need to upgrade my video card to play the newest, greatest game? I'm sorry, but this particular comment seems based in some kind of ignorance or denial.

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:There is also a much wider selection of computer games.

Debatable. It depends upon what kind of game you like to play.

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:Computer games dont need to pay for a service to play interweb games (the only thing you need to pay for is the connection, or you can steal your neighbors) whereas you need to pay for xbox live.

But you have to pay for your internet connection in the first place. That comes out in the wash. Sorry, this argument doesn't hold water, either.

May I also point out that consoles are cheaper, standardized (so you don't have to worry about having compatable hardware -- if the game is a PS2 game, and I have a PS2, I can be reasonably sure that it will work), and more directed toward a more casual, relaxed form of gaming?

My point is that comparing consoles to PCs is comparing apples to oranges. PCs excel at certain things. They can keep up with the newest and greatest advances in hardware much more easily because they are more modular, they are better set up for networking (though that is changing), and they offer more complexity in terms of control (keyboard and mouse, joystick, game pad, &c.). However, PCs are more expensive, require greater expertise to get games running (will my video card support this game? do I have enough RAM? &c.), are not as social (in that it is a lot harder to get four people around a PC to play a game of Super Smash Brothers).

With a console, set-up is a breeze, you know that any game made for your console is going to work without spending money on a new graphics card or another 512 megs of RAM, and you can sit down on the couch with your wife and relax while playing a game. Because consoles are a known quantity for developers, you can buy a disk or cartridge and know that it will work, and you don't have to worry about hardware compatibility. Also, the controls are quite simple, which makes games easy to pick up and play. On the other hand, FPSs and RTSs don't work well on consoles because of the simple controls, and, generally speaking, you can only play against one or two people at a time.

Consoles and PC each have their disadvantages and advantages. To say that one is better than another is simply silly. Some people prefer consoles (such as myself), and some prefer PCs (you, obviously). There are even a few who go both ways (perverts!). To state that one is better than another is rediculous. I think that one can validly compare consoles. It is fair to compare Macs to PCs to Linux boxen. But comparing consoles to PCs just doesn't make sense.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”