Unofficial Defcon FAQ

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Baelthazar
level2
level2

Unofficial Defcon FAQ

Postby Baelthazar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Because there has been a lot of confusion, I decided to type up a quick collection of some of the Frequently Asked Questions and give them the answers that I have gotten from this board. By no means are these definitive nor are they representative of any "official" answer from an Introversion employee. This is just a silly forum troll, putting together the answers the best he can from available sources. Read at your own risk.

UNOFFICIAL DEFCON FAQ

Written by Baelthazar :twisted:
As of September 22, 2006

1. What is Defcon?
Defcon is a multiplayer-oriented, RTS war game based on the cold war and the 1983 cult classic WarGames. Players will place units such as missile silos, radar dishes, air bases, and naval fleets. Also on the map are cities, the size of their icon representing the size of their population. The object of the game is to be the player who “loses least,” more specifically, whose side incurs the least amount of losses in the inevitable nuclear exchange. Players receive points based on the amount of damage, particularly population damage, done to their enemies. There are several different modes of scoring, based on the options chosen during setup.

2. You said Defcon was multiplayer-oriented, does this me I have to play it online with real people, or will there be a single player mode?
There will be a single player mode against numerous computer opponents. One can also play the game with a mixture of CPU and human opponents. The term “multiplayer-oriented” was used because Defcon (unlike Darwinia and Uplink) lacks a formal plot or storyline, focusing instead on game play and player interaction.

3. Is there any sort of diplomacy? What forms of player-interaction are available (other than simply blowing the other players up)?
Defcon allows for alliances to be formed, either during the match setup or during the match itself. Alliances share radar (i.e. removes the fog of war to see the other player’s units and line-of-sight) and operate under a ceasefire (units will not automatically shoot at allied units). Depending on the options selected at the beginning of the match, alliances can usually be broken, sometimes quite unexpectedly, allowing for massive betrayals and in-fighting. Typically, the aim of the game is to be the sole survivor, so alliances can degenerate in the face of enemy pressure (and warheads).

4. What is the maximum number of players (both human and CPU) in a Defcon match?
There are six playable sides (based loosely on Cold-War geopolitical entities) and thus a
maximum of six players per match.

5. How long does a typical match of Defcon take?
This is a difficult question to answer, as results often vary depending on the play-mode selected during setup. A single-play game of Defcon can last anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours, depending on the speed of play (Defcon has several speed settings available). In “Office Mode,” the game is geared to last 6 hours with the speed controls disabled (and includes the use of a “shell” to quickly minimize the game when the boss walks past. “Speed Defcon,” however, lasts only 15 minutes.

6. What makes the game last so long? Why can’t I just set up my units faster then my opponent and nuke them in the first five minutes?
Defcon is, like the movie WarGames, based on a degenerating global situation known as the Defense Condition. As the Defense Condition (Defcon, get it) descends from 5 to 1 the world gets closer and closer to all out nuclear war. The Defcon level restricts what actions a player can take. Players place units in Defcon 5-4, with no hostile actions allowed. Units not placed by Defcon 3 are lost, so place things early. After Defcon 3 naval and air-based units can fight and small hostile actions allowed. Once the game reaches Defcon 1 nuclear missiles can be launched from silos.

7. If nuclear missiles can be launched in Defcon 1, then why don’t I just wait till then and fire everything quickly to destroy my opponent?
Because each of the units in Defcon have several uses that render thoughtless “twitch” strategies fruitless. The units are as follows: Radars, Silos, Airbases, Fighters, Bombers, Carriers, Battleships, Submarines and Nuclear Missiles. At no point do you ever “build” units, you simply place a pre-determined number of units onto the map. Also, units interact in a paper-rock-scissors style. Silo can be put into attack mode to launch missiles or defense mode to shoot them down. Subs can kill Battleships, Battleships are good at killing Carriers, and Carriers are good at killing Subs. Some units carry missiles as well, notably Bombers, Carriers, and Subs. Proper and patient deployment of available weaponry, taking account the enemies radar range, will win the day.

8. If the enemy is outside my radar range, how can I ever attack them?
Units also have radar range. Fighters are excellent units to use to extend your side’s view and scout out enemy forces. Also, any entity that launches a nuclear missile instantly becomes visible on the map, no matter where they are.

9. Ok! I’m convinced this is going to be the best game ever, when does it come out?
Friday, September 29, 2006 is the worldwide release date.

10. How do I get myself a copy?
Several ways! You can pre-order from two locations, both at a discount. First you can pre-order from Introversion’s website for $17.50USD or £10.00. Pre-ordering from IV will get you a digital copy, downloadable from their site on release day, and a boxed copy that will arrive near the same time. You can also pre-order from the well-known digital distribution STEAM system. Steam versions cost $10.00USD (I don’t know the British amount) and are DIGITAL ONLY. They are also allowing the game to be downloaded on release day. After release, the prices will raise, and the price on IV for both the digital and boxed version will be around $26USD, so do yourself a favor and buy it now!

11. Wait… Steam is well known for its strict network policy. If I buy from Steam will I be able to play with people who bought from IV?
YES YES YES YES YES! You will be able to use the Steam version to connect to the IV servers. It has not yet been confirmed if the Steam version needs an online connection to play single player games (i.e. Half-Life 2). It has been suggested that it will not.

12. Can I register my IV version on my Steam account so that it will show up and so I can use their servers?
While not clearly answered, it is doubtful that this will be possible. Historical precedent has showed this not to be the case. However, it is doubtful that this will be necessary, as Steam users will probably use the IV provided servers for multiplayer matches. Thus the need to register your version of Defcon with Steam seems relatively superfluous.

13. What are the system requirements?
Per the Steam site:
Recommended: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, P3-600-Geforce 2, 128 Mb RAM, 60 Mb Hard Disk, Internet connection for multiplayer games

14. I don’t trust you, where can I find my own answers?
Gee, thanks… Well the best places would be to use the search feature on the official Defcon forums (General Defcon Forum). Or you can read the game’s manual on the Steam website: Manual

15. Will there be a demo?
Yes, there will be a demo. It will be out not long after the game is released. It will, according to rumor, allow limited multiplayer.

16. Will the game be available in retail locations?
According to the Defcon website, the only place to get a boxed copy will be ONLINE.

17. What is the press saying about Defcon?
Very good things so far! Here are some links to early reviews and previews. All give an excellent overview of the gameplay.
Out of Eight Review
IGN Review
moddb.com Preview

18. Does Defcon run on other platforms?
Currently, Defcon is for Windows only. Mac and Linux versions will be made available later. The Linux version is likely to use the same data files as the Windows version, and come in the form of a freely downloadable executable that will enable Linux play. That means that if you buy the Windows version, you should also be able to play the Linux version. The Mac version is being published by Ambrosia Software. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to play on a Macintosh using the Windows version. However, all three versions can play against eachother online.
Regarding the Linux version, see this thread for the official word: Chris's word on Linux

19. How big will the Defcon install be?
Although this is not know for sure, the game is rumored to be around 60mb. Rumor has it that the review version is about 59mb, sound files and all. Be warned, this may change for release.

20. I'm a super fanboy! Where can I get things to show my love of Defcon and my solidarity for the group?
Look no further than these forums! Some of the more active members have put together some very nice graphics, icons, and banners.
Signature banners, made by Montyphy, can be found here: Defcon Signature Banners
Defcon wallpapers, made by various people, can be found here: Defcon Wallpapers
A warhead full of icons can be found here: Defcon Icons

That’s about it for me. If any other ambitious forum goers want to add to this FAQ, please feel free.

Special Thanks to:
xander
xyzyxx
NeoThermic
Montyphy
For their informative posts on the forum, which I shamelessly plagiarized to compile this FAQ.
Last edited by Baelthazar on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:52 am, edited 13 times in total.
svack
level1
level1

Postby svack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:42 pm

I can tell you, an IV version will not work being activated on steam
thats reserved for valve and specially licensed games, if it were the case, introversion wouldn't need the metaserver
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Thank you, Baelthazar. I have tried to write one of these on at least three occasions, and always gotten tired of it about five paragraphs into it. You are doing the community a great service. What I find funnier is that you called the thread the "Unofficial Defcon FAQ," which is exactly what I was going to do :)

xander

EDIT:
Does Defcon run on other platforms?
Currently, Defcon is for Windows only. Mac and Linux versions will be made available later. The Linux version is likely to use the same data files as the Windows version, and come in the form of a freely downloadable executable that will enable Linux play. That means that if you buy the Windows version, you should also be able to play the Linux version. The Mac version is being published by Ambrosia Software. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to play on a Macintosh using the Windows version. However, all three versions can play against eachother online.
Last edited by xander on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baelthazar
level2
level2

Postby Baelthazar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:49 pm

Until I get a paycheck from IV... then I can switch the name to Official...

:D

Thanks for the encouragement xander, feel free to add your 2-cents any time. Partially I wrote this because I thought you were going to blow a gasket from having to answer "Will Steam players be able to play IV players," so many times!

Baelthazar :twisted:
Napalm Sushi
level2
level2

Postby Napalm Sushi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Good call, Baelthazar
STOKE-ON-TRENT HIT: NO-ONE IMPORTANT DEAD
TinFoil
level2
level2

Postby TinFoil » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Sticky. Please. Now.
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:40 pm

This forum has needed one of these for ages, good work!

Last edited by SuVir on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:41 pm

SuVir wrote:This forum has needed one of these for ages, good work!

Might want to include specs as well

Number 13 :wink:
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:44 pm

SuVir wrote:This forum has needed one of these for ages, good work!

Might want to include specs as well

Ooops :oops:
jrbreen
level2
level2

Postby jrbreen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:45 pm

Excellent work! You have done a great service.
the_redstar_swl
level2
level2
Location: Bravo, Five, Delta, Authenticate Launch Codes: Zulu, Oscar, Delta, Nine, Fiver, Three, Gamma...

Postby the_redstar_swl » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:33 am

jrbreen wrote:Excellent work! You have done a great service.

What he said.
Rock
level2
level2

Postby Rock » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:49 am

Oof...

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as though thousands of newbies suddenly cried out in anguish, and were silenced.

Hehehe, great work. Now I know everything I need to know about DEFCON.

EDIT: Fix'd
Last edited by Rock on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:53 am

Rock wrote:I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as though thousands of noobs suddenly cried out in anguish, and were silenced.

You seriously think n00bs will stop asking the same dumb questions just because of this thread? newbies yea but not n00bs.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Baelthazar
level2
level2

Postby Baelthazar » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:39 am

In fact... it wasn't 5 minutes after I posted the FAQ that one forum "n00b", who will remain nameless, started a NEW thread (right above my FAQ) asking "If I buy from Steam can I play with IV owners." Seriously... 5 minutes.

But, as G.I. Joe said, "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle."

Baelthazar :twisted:
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:16 am

don't for get the moddb.com preview under press:
http://features.moddb.com/262/defcon/

Return to “General”