DEFCON Tournament underway

The forum with all your Introversion News!
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:42 pm

no u stpid noob dats in sweeden lol
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:53 pm

lol your fail

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
ButtSpasm
level0

Postby ButtSpasm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 am

ummm isn't this over? who won... it doesn;t say on the tournament page on the site.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:30 pm

the final match was postponed due to technical difficulties.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
ButtSpasm
level0

Postby ButtSpasm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:57 pm

aw :(
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:08 pm

The last match will be played tonight at 10PM GMT. Server will properbly be named along the lines of "Official defcon tournament final". The password will be removed after all players have joined, then spectators will be able to join.

The gmt time can be seen here.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:10 pm

Connecting...
Attempts: 114

And judging by the number of spectators I'm not alone. :-/
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:14 pm

yeah same here the only spec inside are the 3 that joined when the server was passworded :/
btw attempts 400+ =)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:16 pm

Indeed, it seems impossible to connect. ¬_¬

P.S: Awesome avatar Hmuda ^_^
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:18 pm

Kunshu wrote:P.S: Awesome avatar Hmuda ^_^
Thanks, made it myself (inspired by the tonns of Azumanga Daioh gifs all around the net). :)
Last edited by Hmuda on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:20 pm

I give up, hope there will be some video or something of the finals...

im glad i did not give up
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:06 am

Don't think I'm going to get in now, oh well, will wait for a video to be released later.

Hmuda: Nice work, Azumanga Daioh is my favourite. :)
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:22 am

One got in during the game...
Which is now over! :P
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:30 am

yeah you had to use the ip to connect and not to join as usual
clicking on the name made like 900 attempts
manual ip 1 attempt
must be a bug or something cause i think the port changed somehow

martin get the best nuke of the finals award =) -> http://anonym.free.free.fr/martin.jpg
GG guys was fun to watch, funnier than looking at the attempts counter =)
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 am

Here's a post from the internal beta tournament forum I wrote:

Properbly the most interesting and intense game I've played so far and it really lived up to being the tournament final. I've quickly written down how the game accoured from my perspective, now be warned, the following contains a lot of backstabbing so if you like people keeping alliance through a whole game.... well then you ain't gonna like this :wink:

el Diablo was suppose to have played but as he was unable to I agreed to take his place even though I had lost my match in the second round of the tournament and gotten kicked out.

Players / countries:
DK - USA
Estel - South america
[beta]Martin - Europe
Nutter - Africa
Xyzyzz - Russia
Dig D - Asia

Getting started
Having gotten Africa by random I thought I was screwed due to not having played it in a long time and its central position which often means it gets nuked from the start. From the begining I was chatting with Big D (asia), Estel (south america) and dk (USA) about taking out Martin (europe) as it often ends up not getting hit at all. At first I didn't join any alliances but made cease fre agreements with the three and held my sea units close to my shores to avoid any early fights. When Big D, Martin and Xyzyzz however made an alliance I quickly asked DK and Estel to join theirs in order not to be left out.

Europe gets shelled
Shortly after [beta]Martin asked me to join Big D and Xyzyzz so we had a overpowering dominance, I agreed but still kept in mind of hitting europe. I informed Estel and DK before switching alliances with it being part of the plan. Martin asked me for help with a sea battle against the USA, I agreed to help (though I knew I would be too late to join in on the fight) and moved my subs and other ships more north towards europe. At the same time I launched bombers from different airbases all towards europe. At this point we were in defcon 1 but no nuke attack had yet accoured as everybody was sizeing out each other, having been in all alliances I knew every unit placement and had done so since defcon 3. When Martin was busy attacking the US at their coast I quickly executed my plan and asked that Martin (europe) was be kicked from the alliance, all agreed and europe pretty fast got badly hit. Sadly I missed London as Xyzyzz subs hit it before I was able to (guess he must have planned the same thing).

Going for Russia
Afterwards a bit of time was spent still easing DK and Estel why I shoudn't join their alliance, I made the excuse that russia and asia could really do some damage to me as I was so close to them and that I had kept my end of the deal so far. To further put them at ease I gave an early warning before Big D and Xyzyzz attacked the USA. I had agreed on attacking also and encuraged the use of ICBM's to be used in the attack. Instead of helping out I again sent my bombers towards Xyzyzz and asked Martin (europe) to hold his fire as I was about to attack. Surpriseingly he was willing to be in an alliance with me, so before my bombers reached their target I requested Xyzyzz to be kicked from the alliance (which happend) and quickly thereafter Martin to be accepted into it. Martin joined in on the attacked but I was lucky to hit most of the big cities first and take the first place from Xyzyzz.

Hitting South america, USA and Asia
By this time everybody seemed to be onto me and my increaseing points ("I really don't know how I've gotten that many points, I swear"). Big D soon after quit the alliance and joined up with Xyzyzz again. At this point I had placed subs in pairs of two's around South america / USA & Asia and were able to hit New York, Cicargo, San Paolo and some semi large Asian cities while these were fireing missiles from their silos. By this time it was clear that they either all attack me or lose because of points. Cairo was gone before I even knew what happend and a lot of my radars quickly got taken out. Luckily Martin continued to be in my allaince and gave me a lot of support shooting down incomming nukes... the guy I had previously backstabbed.... this is really not a nice game. Ealier I had been able to find a lot of enemy subs and could take out the rest when fireing without too many losses. The last part of the game was me franticly trying to shoot down as many nukes as I could and still send some bombers out against small cities to make up for the lost points. I didn't have any time to attack with a lot of my silos which is the reason for the high number of nukes left on the screenshot.

Final score and screenshot
Nutter - Africa (108)
Estel - South america (70)
Dig D - Asia (44)
DK - USA (40)
Xyzyzz - Russia (40)
[beta]Martin - Europe (10)

Screenshot here

I had a lot of fun playing and have never before played a game were diplomacy was such a big part of the game. You could really feel everybody going for first place meaning alliances were constantly shifting and it easily could have been somebody else being lucky and getting the win. Really great game guys. However I do have the feeling that next time I better use a different nickname or I'll be the first to be taken out of the tournament :D

Return to “Introversion News”