Question regarding the future linux release

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

warmonger
level0

Question regarding the future linux release

Postby warmonger » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:26 pm

I have just preordered the windows release, and I was wondering when the linux binary is released can I get the binary for linux or will I need to purchase another license?
svack
level1
level1

Postby svack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:35 pm

Yes, linux binaries will be a free download
they wont be released with the windows version though
warmonger
level0

Postby warmonger » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:38 pm

Great so I won't have to buy two copies, thanks I have been attempting to stop using windows but I really want to play this game when it comes out. Thanks for the info.
emlprime
level0

Penquins want to destroy the world too

Postby emlprime » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:51 pm

I'm in the same boat warmonger. I'm making the switch from Dual boot to full Linux and so are 3 of my friends and family. We're intentionally buying games made by producers kind enough to include Linux/OSX in their distribution strategy. I was dissapointed that a linux client wasn't available from the release date, but I understand the financial motives driving that.

I'll buy the windows copy, but I want to play it native in linux like the other games. Go Introversion.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Penquins want to destroy the world too

Postby xander » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:06 am

emlprime wrote:but I understand the financial motives driving that

I think that financial motives are low on the list of reasons that the ports are not done yet. I think that time constraints have a lot to do with it. Chris and Icepick wrote the Windows version (my understanding is that it is mostly Chris, I could be wrong). John is doing the ports. That would be the Linux version, the Mac version, and the XBLA version (if it exists). Also, John has to incorporate any changes that Chris makes to the main source tree. My understanding is that there is a Mac beta version out and about, but that it is fairly exclusive at the moment -- only ASW employees have any access to it.

xander
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:31 am

http://www.everybody-dies.com/about/roadmap.html

tells us they are scheduled for november.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:45 am

Hoxe wrote:http://www.everybody-dies.com/about/roadmap.html

Yeah, but this is IV we are talking about. November could mean anything from "Suprise! It is done in October!" to "Umm... sorry guys, we know we said November, but here it is, in March!"

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:05 am

xander wrote:

Yeah, but this is IV we are talking about. November could mean anything from "Suprise! It is done in October!" to "Umm... sorry guys, we know we said November, but here it is, in March!"

xander

Well, the release of the port will always have some betatesting, so if you get selected you'll hopefully get a chance to play before "November" ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:08 am

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Well, the release of the port will always have some betatesting, so if you get selected you'll hopefully get a chance to play before "November" ;)

NeoThermic

I hope so. :)

xander
zeb
level1
level1

Postby zeb » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:22 am

NeoThermic wrote:

NeoThermic

Hi, I have also pre-ordered (and now received) the game, but as a long-time Linux user, I intend to play on that platform when binaries are available, as I did for Uplink and Darwinia.

Is there a way to apply for the beta testing?

I guess IV should be nice here and accept all people who have already bought the game to enter the beta testing of the Linux version. This is how LinuxGamePublishing work by the way: once you have pre-ordered, you can always try the beta version. So pleeeease :D

Return to “General”