openGL or D3D?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:12 pm

i've read that a lot of people have issues with games & nvidia drivers. not sure why, but it seems when they add one thing they break another. :? Every try tunning AvP? :?

ATI's drivers work near flawlessly (at least I've never had any problems) but their OGL isn't as good & linux support is lacking. But on Windows i can run ANY games that supports D3D/DX or OGL.
svack
level1
level1

Postby svack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 pm

I have no problem with ATi on opengl, in fact, some games run faster on my machine in opengl than in D3D! It was only when I had my old geforce when I had opengl problems
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:26 pm

what most people mean by "ATI's OGL isn't as good as Nvidia's" isn't that stuff won't run, and won't run faster, the company doesn't put as much support behind it as nvidia. I've never seen any problem running games in eigther, the latest, fastest cards always do the best.
svack
level1
level1

Postby svack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:30 pm

ah, fp

I remember the horrible ATi drivers I had when I used to use redhat, it lagged like hell on tux racer! and that was on low settings with a 9800 Pro!

opengl on windows for ATi is fine, but yes, linux opengl support from ATi is nasty
ill generator
level1
level1

Postby ill generator » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:40 am

TheHappyFriar wrote:not sure why, but it seems when they add one thing they break another. :? Every try tunning AvP? :?

haha yes, that's a classic example of when things go horribly wrong ^_^ is there any version of the nvidia drivers that display that game's gfx correctly?

Return to “General”