Darwinia now preloading over Steam

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia now preloading over Steam

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:59 pm

Darwinia is now available for preload from Steam. On the 1st of December the Steam system sent out this advert to its customers, and began taking orders for the full game.

The full game will be unlockable on 14th December, for a price of $19.95. If you purchase the game before then you will receive a discount of 10%. This is an amazingly good deal. You need to have Steam installed before you can buy...if you don't have Steam click here.

As part of the Steam launch we made a two minute promotional video of Darwinia, which you can view here. It's a WMV file, which means it should be able to stream to you if you've got the bandwidth, but if not you can simply download it first then watch it - its only 55Mb. We spent a lot of time making this video (amazing how long it can take to record and edit 110 seconds of footage) and we'd love to hear your comments on it.

We also have another video coming within the next couple of weeks. This second video will be around 4 minutes long and is all about Introversion Software - our story and where we came from, and what we're trying to achieve. We spent a whole day running around London filming footage of us guys with a Hi-def digital film camera, and we think you're going to love some of the shots we managed to get.

We also want to clarify one issue that a few people have asked about. We will continue to support Darwinia with patches that fix bugs and add features, and we will always make those patches available via Steam AND via our website. So if you've already bought Darwinia from us you have nothing to worry about - you're not going to miss out on anything. Likewise, if you purchase the game over Steam you will receive all of our updates automatically.
YMICrazy502
level0

Postby YMICrazy502 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:15 pm

I know from your post that the retail version will continue to get updates and patches but does that include multiplayer?

Btw that gameplay video is awesome.
madman2k
level1
level1

Postby madman2k » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:25 pm

waahh... teh evil! *runs away screaming*

...ok I got over it.

But you did no favour to the linux folks by using wmv - AVI/XviD is still the least common denominator.
The best choice would be OGM/x264 but I understand that you have to consider compatibility...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:24 am

I find it slightly amusing that the video is twice the size of the game itself
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:50 am

Most linux people can play wmv files. I can, anyway :) The video looks cool, but it was pretty large ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:48 am

bought and preloaded... roll on the 14th and multiplayer goodness !! Got RDKF too :) What a trippy psycho game that is !!
SirPhobos
level0

Postby SirPhobos » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:41 am

I pre-loaded it the day I saw it. Then I got both demos and loved them. I can hardly wait till this comes out. If it has multiplayer, that'd make it all the sweeter, but even without it it's one of the most unique games i've played in awhile.

I wonder what the Steam sales figures will look like.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:58 am

compared to retail i bet they look very tasty to the IV chaps.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:22 am

hitm4n wrote:compared to retail i bet they look very tasty to the IV chaps.

lets hope so, that means lots more money for introversion. :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Re: Darwinia now preloading over Steam

Postby elDiablo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:07 pm

YMICrazy502 wrote:I know from your post that the retail version will continue to get updates and patches but does that include multiplayer?[...]

Chris wrote:[...]We also want to clarify one issue that a few people have asked about. We will continue to support Darwinia with patches that fix bugs and add features, and we will always make those patches available via Steam AND via our website. So if you've already bought Darwinia from us you have nothing to worry about - you're not going to miss out on anything. Likewise, if you purchase the game over Steam you will receive all of our updates automatically.

Ahem.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:08 pm

apart from the match making services i believe steam offer for multiplayer.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
madman2k
level1
level1

Postby madman2k » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:04 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Most linux people can play wmv files. I can, anyway :) The video looks cool, but it was pretty large ;)

but you neither use gstreamer nor a clean 64bit envoirment, do you?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:01 pm

Nope. But when Microsoft come knocking at my door, I'll happily delete any codecs they want me to. Or, indeed, boot over to the perfectly legal XP installation that came with my laptop :D wmv isn't that popular, anyway...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

micks
level1
level1

Postby micks » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:41 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Nope. But when Microsoft come knocking at my door, I'll happily delete any codecs they want me to. Or, indeed, boot over to the perfectly legal XP installation that came with my laptop :D wmv isn't that popular, anyway...

Amen.
BTW, I thought it was kind of legal to use the codecs if you owned a legal copy of XP? Although I admit it'd take some time for me to dig up the CD from wherever it might have gotten since I've last seen it... :wink:
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm

Beside the point - the codecs are 32 bit, thus (if my understanding is correct), cannot be used on a clean AMD64 system. Of course, neither can Darwinia...

I know that FFMPEG has some form of WMV support, but I don't know how far-reaching it is.
Don't think about The Game.

Return to “Introversion News”