Darwinia Launch on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
ttm
level2
level2

Postby ttm » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:11 am

I'm suddenly tempted to take my digital camera down the shops tomorrow. New copies of Darwinia are hardly rare around here
aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:14 am

xander wrote:
KF wrote:You can go to the shops and buy a copy from there, can't you??

Or was it so "infamous" that it was removed¿?

There were several copies in stores in the UK only. However, as far as I know, there weren't that many, and they are sold out, or there are only a few left. At this point, I would be suprised if there were stores that still had Darwinia.

xander

Only last week I saw a copy of Darwinia in Virgin, York.. So, there's still some out there.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:31 pm

Logged onto Steam to update HL2, and there, in the update news it sits....a little Darwinian.

Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Hendar23
level1
level1

Postby Hendar23 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:52 pm

Great news for IV, but Steam? Biggest bit of adware I've ever seen....
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Hendar23
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:58 pm

Ah one thing I just noticed

The Steam version is cheaper?

Steam Website
Valve and Introversion today announce that Darwinia, Introversion's multi-genre title, will be available to gamers worldwide on December 14, 2005 via Steam for $19.95

Darwinia Website
for £19.99 (UK) or $29.99 (USA)

Which means those who can't or won't use steam will have to pay more?

Nice news for the linux community? :shock: :?

Nice news for people who will NOT be FORCED to run steam aswell :roll:

The more and more you look into this situation the worse it turns out. I hope it'll be worth shutting out a certain number of people for the sake of being dictated and controlled by Steam, maybe they'll make an offer on buying out IV next?
Katana Steel
level2
level2

Postby Katana Steel » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:34 pm

equk wrote:The more and more you look into this situation the worse it turns out. I hope it'll be worth shutting out a certain number of people for the sake of being dictated and controlled by Steam, maybe they'll make an offer on buying out IV next?

Buy out IV?...
how do you imagine valve buying out the mind of Chris...

I can can only speak for myself though. When I saw the Steam News I
got really excited. Now IV will a lot of publicity to gamers where they
are. Not just in the magazines, which were okay even.

I guess when you start looking at this in the negative way, you'll be hard
to see the good that this does. (to IV in general, and to darwinia)

My oppinion intirely, and I see no reason why I should defend it. It's said
and that's where it stands
-- as life grows older, I gain experience
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:53 pm

Not meaning to be rude to any Linux or Mac users, but Linux and Mac isn't where the money is.

Microsoft is an evil money eating monopoly. At a guess 90% of gamers use Windows (ok, it might not be 90% but it is well over half, probably even three quarters). This deal will allow IV to access 10 times more people than their entire Linux and Mac markets combined.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Mac or Linux, I've got an Mac myself, and I keep meaning to get around to installing Linux on an old PC. Your not even being cut out, you can still buy Darwinia for 8 quid or so extra. Big Deal. I paid £30 and it was worth every penny. Darwinia needs better sales, whats more, it deserves better sales. Steam can give it this.

That's business.
Finn
aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:14 pm

I'd also add to this that, while it is distressing that Linux and Mac users seem to have to pay more than Steam users when downloading, it is possible to buy Darwinia for less than £20 in the shops (if you're in the UK).

Game, for example, had Darwinia for just £10 last time I looked. That's even a saving on the Steam price.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:47 pm

FinnG wrote:Microsoft is an evil money eating monopoly. At a guess 90% of gamers use Windows (ok, it might not be 90% but it is well over half, probably even three quarters). This deal will allow IV to access 10 times more people than their entire Linux and Mac markets combined.

I'd say at least 98%...
Nakatomi is coming
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:53 pm

KF wrote:You can go to the shops and buy a copy from there, can't you??

Or was it so "infamous" that it was removed¿?

as politely as possible, KF, I am now going to say:

Stop being an asshole on our forums! :evil:
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
ricky26
level1
level1

Postby ricky26 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:50 pm

Nooo!! How will I get my copy of darwinia authorized on Steam?! I want it to appear on the menu, but there arent any CD-Keys are there? I'm worried because I dont want to accidentally end up re-buying it!

=D Sorry if this is in the wrong place etc etc... But I want darwinia on my steam list xD.
UPLINK -- Trust is a weakness

== www.uplink.co.uk ==
Loonie
level0

Postby Loonie » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:17 am

Well, that's kinda good and bad. I've just come across this game and loved its weird kinda new old skool style, and decided to purchase it. Only to find that I was just too late by a narrow margin, and if I want to buy it online, I'll have to do it through Steam.

I hope the move works out well for it, always good to see independents thrive and succeed, but ohhh to have only gotten here soon enough to have bought it via http download.

I guess I'll keep a look-out for it here in Canada, or maybe buy the CD version online and have it shipped over.

But I would sooner boil and eat my own head than buy something off Steam.

Edit: Good game, by the way. :P
vague_hit
level0

Postby vague_hit » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:28 am

err martin.. how exactly is he being an 'asshole'? i think he makes an incredibly valid point.. yup, you can go and find it in shops still. pretty cheaply too... so, everyone who hates steam, do a bit of searching and you'll find it and the problem of steam will never have to crease your brow. or was it just that his reply might've made the person he was talking to feel slightly stupid?

it really does seem that a few of the people involved in this discussion are just arguing for the sake of arguing.. or simply because they have something against steam personally. well.. that's great but in all honesty, i see nothing but good coming of this.

and no, you won't need to register your current copy of Darwinia to keep playing it once they start selling it over Steam. Steam is, in this case, only a means of distribution. and, in another way, a means of advertising. HUGE advertising. like, gigantic advertising.

this thread might as well be locked and replaced with something like:

1. Yes, Steam will be taking over distribution for Darwinia

2. No you don't have to run Steam to run Darwinia

3. You can still buy it in shops and don't need to validate it over Steam once you do

4. The Steam/Darwinia thing is a Really Good Thing. It gives the game huge exposure it would not have had otherwise, not to mention the good press from a company that is well respected by its existing fan base.

5. Point 4 completely overshadows any complaints anyone might have about Steam. If you love the game so much, don't get all uppity about something that will enable the developers to keep developing. Even if all your conspiracy theories come true and something along the lines of Introversion getting taken over by Valve actually happens (and ill be picking up my ice-skates in Hades on that day), its not the same as them being taken over by Microsoft.. Valve are a company founded on complete creative control, quality over sales and artistic excellence along the road to near-perfect gameplay. What better union?

I fear my point 5 may open a pandora's box... oh well, i never delete something once it's written..
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:40 am

For those people who don't live in England, it's a pretty long walk to the shops.

But I don't see why people are so desperate to get their copies authorised on Steam...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
vague_hit
level0

Postby vague_hit » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:46 am

i live in south australia. i've seen darwinia in my local electronics boutique.

not recently though, unfortunately. although i know i can buy it over ebay for $20. i think i might wait till it gets released over steam though.. i actually like buying stuff over steam.. my hl2 download and installation was perfect.

Return to “Introversion News”