Darwinia Launch on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:28 pm

equk wrote:It adds another requirement to those who have windows and want to buy the game, download and play. As they will be FORCED to download steam. Something which could work against sales as loads of people don't trust steam or just dislike it for whatever reason.

Perhaps, then, it is possible to state that IV have shot themselves in the foot by offering downloads in the first place? When the game first came out, it was only available in a green box unless you were on a Mac. By the time the Mac version came out, you could have had your box shipped to you several times over. If you don't want to deal with Steam, then you must resign yourself to going back to the system that existed only a few short months ago -- buy the game from IV and wait for the box to show up.

xander
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:30 pm

xander wrote:If you don't want to deal with Steam, then you must resign yourself to going back to the system that existed only a few short months ago -- buy the game from IV and wait for the box to show up.

Or use Linux :D
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:35 pm

Or Mac OS X :D

(Windows is beginning to look bad now...)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:36 pm

Couldn't you uh, buy and download the linux version and then the win32 1.3 patch?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
ttm
level2
level2

Postby ttm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:46 pm

equk wrote:
xander wrote:What this means is that the Linux version will still be available for downloading

Ah I must have read wrong :?

Right there in bold print

# You are buying a CD with Linux and Windows that will be sent via the post.
# Your purchase entitles you to instantly download the LINUX version ONLY.
# We do not offer the windows version of Darwinia for download, but it will be on the CD you receive in the post.
# If you want a downloadable version of Darwinia you can buy it from STEAM
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm

Pity you can't have a downloadable and cd version at once for windows, that was a stroke of dvinity. but still
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:39 pm

vague_hit wrote:wow equk, you really haven't been paying attention huh?

my first post in this thread was about how i finished the demo about half an hour after they announced that they were moving to steam for distribution... i went to the site ready to buy and download the game only to discover i couldnt.

anyway.. umm.. yeah.

wasn't that what I said?

umm... yeah

like you could have done when the online order and download was on the darwinia website? (without having to download steam)

Soz.... ?

don't mean to be pretentious :( I was just making a point of highlighting that your example was perfect for making the point that not everyone who has windows has steam.
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:41 pm

ttm wrote:
equk wrote:
xander wrote:What this means is that the Linux version will still be available for downloading

Ah I must have read wrong :?

Right there in bold print

# You are buying a CD with Linux and Windows that will be sent via the post.
# Your purchase entitles you to instantly download the LINUX version ONLY.
# We do not offer the windows version of Darwinia for download, but it will be on the CD you receive in the post.
# If you want a downloadable version of Darwinia you can buy it from STEAM

yer as I said I must have read wrong

is it normal for people on this forum to point out the obvious or highlight the errors others have already acknowledged and apologised for?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:45 pm

equk wrote:is it normal for people on this forum to point out the obvious or highlight the errors others have already acknowledged and apologised for?

Yes. But don't worry about it. It just means that you are one of the group. By the way, "is" starts your sentence, and should be capitalized. :P

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:54 pm

xander wrote:
equk wrote:is it normal for people on this forum to point out the obvious or highlight the errors others have already acknowledged and apologised for?

Yes. But don't worry about it. It just means that you are one of the group. By the way, "is" starts your sentence, and should be capitalized. :P

xander

I'm fairly certain that there should be a comma after obvious, as well. Just like the one after the word obvious in my previous sentence, just in case that wasn't obvious. ;)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:59 pm

OMG QUOTE WAR O_O

This is a news post! I want my news in the form of my questions answered by someone else since I know Chris @ Co would never respond anyway!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Varsity
level2
level2

Postby Varsity » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:19 pm

The GoldFish wrote:And, regardless of if Steam *should* cause performance issues or not, many people find it does interfere. (Examples include comparisons to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, which I think uses the source engine). Suggesting that it only takes a few meg and in no way intereferes is somewhat naive. The sound problems in HL2 should not have existed, but they did - in fact I don't know if they're fixed to this date.
All Steam does during gameplay is provide a filesystem. It slows loading a little for the benefit of handling each game as a single, portable file.

equk wrote:Linux users cannot run steam
Yes you can. It is fully supported by Cedega and as I said earlier the existing Linux client may well be extended to provide for Darwinia when the time comes.

As for the rest of that post...I think the people reading can form their own conclusion. :wink:
Group C
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Varsity wrote:Yes you can. It is fully supported by Cedega and as I said earlier the existing Linux client may well be extended to provide for Darwinia when the time comes.

It may work on cedega, but from what I have read whenever there is a steam update there are or have been problems with it.

Altho this point doesn't matter if the linux client download is available from the website :)

Steam don't provide any linux native client, I'm pretty sure they don't provide support for cedega running users either :?
Dred_furst
level1
level1

Postby Dred_furst » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:34 pm

equk wrote:Will you have to run steam in order to play darwinia? If this is the case then it's pretty pointless.

Steam could be seen as a security risk

<snip />

I'm pretty sure most halflife or counterstrike players are not going to be very interested.

You will need steam to run darwinia, so does every other game on steam. even codename gordon

Steam isnt a security risk. why would one of the world's biggest game companies do that? thats insane.

I'd beg to differ on the halflife or counterstrike players not being interested, ive already asked quite a few people in a community im in, they are interested and are quite looking forward to it. I know i am
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 pm

Dred_furst wrote:Steam isnt a security risk. why would one of the world's biggest game companies do that? thats insane.

Yeah, and I mean, there's no security risk with running Windows either! Why would one of the world's biggest software companies do that? thats insane.

Return to “Introversion News”