Defcon confirmed for Steam

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Defcon confirmed for Steam

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:04 am

It's been the worst kept secret in Introversions history, and now we can finally confirm that Defcon will be coming out on Steam at the end of September. We've been talking with the guys at Valve ever since GDC and the deal is finally done. This is really great news for us as Steam gave Darwinia a massive boost in sales, and we think it's absolutely the right place for a game like Defcon. Defcon will be released on Steam at a price of $14.95.

Read the full press release here.

We will also be selling Defcon from our Introversion website, as both a digital download and a boxed copy. Our price will be £10 for the digital download only, and £12.50 for the digital download with boxed copy (sent to you by post). Both options give you immediate access to the game via secure download.

Here's a nice pic of the dvd box artwork (not entirely finished yet) and a page from the fantastic manual Morten has made for us. It's layed out like a 1950's nuclear survival guide from the government, and we can't wait for you to see it.

Image . Image
Last edited by Chris on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:05 am

hey, well done Chris! Hope this sells as well as darwinia did on steam... but now do I buy defcon in its uber box or off steam where I can play instantly?! both...
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 am

Good Work!

Bigger artwork pics please :D
Last edited by SuVir on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:13 am

martin wrote:but now do I buy defcon in its uber box or off steam where I can play instantly?! both...

Chris wrote:We will also be selling Defcon from our Introversion website, as both a digital download and a boxed copy. Our price will be £10 for the digital download only, and £12.50 for the digital download with boxed copy (sent to you by post). Both options give you immediate access to the game via secure download.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:14 am

trickfred wrote:
martin wrote:but now do I buy defcon in its uber box or off steam where I can play instantly?! both...

Chris wrote:We will also be selling Defcon from our Introversion website, as both a digital download and a boxed copy. Our price will be £10 for the digital download only, and £12.50 for the digital download with boxed copy (sent to you by post). Both options give you immediate access to the game via secure download.
#

yes, but will that be a steam download? I suppose it dosen't matter if it isn't although I quite like steam as a way to access all my games.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:24 am

Woah, that's damn cheap Chris.......still yay for worst kept secrets!
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:30 am

martin wrote:
trickfred wrote:

#

yes, but will that be a steam download? I suppose it dosen't matter if it isn't although I quite like steam as a way to access all my games.

It's really quite simple.
Either you buy the Steam version for $14.95 from SteamPowered.com.
Or you buy our version for £10 from our site. We will offer everyone who buys an immediate download of our version.
For an extra £2.50 we will also ship you a boxed copy in the post. The extra cost covers our costs of manufacturing and delivery, and means we can maintain a low price of £10 for those who just want the game.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:36 am

Have I said how much we love you guys at Introversion lately?

Seriously, excellent pricing, excellent distrobution, download or download and boxed. You guys are gonna be rich!
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:18 pm

Only got one word to say/write: Excellent!
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:24 pm

great news !
However, i've got one big question:
Is there a difference between the steam-version and the non-steam version ?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:09 pm

alphager wrote:Is there a difference between the steam-version and the non-steam version ?

Apart from where you get them from, no.

Chris: I noted the game is 7+; What criteria of Defcon made it get that rating? I remember that Darwinia had to have that raiting because you killed live animals :P

NeoThermic
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Who knows where ratings come from, but i'd guess its related to the encouragement of the callous murder of millions of innocent civilians on a genocidal scale never before seen by man.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:28 pm

Chris wrote:Who knows where ratings come from, but i'd guess its related to the encouragement of the callous murder of millions of innocent civilians on a genocidal scale never before seen by man.

Hmm. So GTA, where there's a good chance you can kill a few hundred people gets a M, while Defcon, where you kill *millions* gets a 7+? I'm as confused as you are ;)

NeoThermic
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 pm

That quote needs to be put up somewhere.

Defcon get's rating for the following reasons according to lead designer Chris Delay;

Chris wrote:.....i'd guess its related to the encouragement of the callous murder of millions of innocent civilians on a genocidal scale never before seen by man.
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:32 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
alphager wrote:Is there a difference between the steam-version and the non-steam version ?

Apart from where you get them from, no.

cool.
can one add the non-steam version to steam ?

Return to “Introversion News”