hezbollah-iran thing

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

hezbollah-iran thing

Postby TheToyMaker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:58 am

has anybody else noticed that since the israel-hezbollah fighting started, even the UN has totally forgotten about iran's nuclear program? they are thoroughly pleased by this no doubt,
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:30 am

The UN probably hasn't forgotten about it, it's just the media has shifted their attention to the conflict as it's "bigger" news, and is more likely to get to them profits (in the form of rating for TV, or sales for newspapers, etc).
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Kerberus
level0

Postby Kerberus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

Well, I'm not complaining. It'll give Iran more time to think the situation through, and give them a stronger position in negotiations. The US is too controlling for their own good...
Storms of flame and fire
Gray ash and cold snow
take all the color away
until I see nothing.
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

Postby TheToyMaker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:11 am

a country as rich and militarily powerful can't be isolationist. things just dont function if you try to run things that way
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:31 am

I say leave the middle east to themselves at this stage. Not the most popular view, but who the hell said the "western world" has to police them. They want to blow each other up, let them. Their joke of a civilization needs to come to an end in my opinion.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
ghostDancer
level2
level2

Postby ghostDancer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:51 am

Rkriver maybe you are right, sometimes i think the same about it,, but i think the problem in middle east was created or made by the "western world". All the borders were invented by England and France mainly, creating nations from nowhere just to support some families and to protect their investments there, and don't forget the great idea of puting Israel in the middle of it (british idea i think).

I don't have the solution and i'm sure the "western world" is not doing it right, but we should try to help them and at least to stop them killing each other. Is not funny to see people killing each other just because the other has a different name for the same god. And listening to european politicians trying to explain why they are not doing anything is pathetic.

Both sides are losing, and as always the majority of the dead are civilians.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished:

if you're alive, it isn't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:44 am

Its all Jesus' fault.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:06 pm

Montyphy wrote:Its all Jesus' fault.

Nah, Jebus had nothing to do with it. He was just a guy. It is all Paul's fault.

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:11 pm

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:16 pm

The Messiah's Sandle!

xander
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:50 pm

The problem is that there is no way to contain the Middle East even if we wanted to let them have it out on their own. The violence would inevitably spread out of the region.

The problem in the current situation is that Hezbollah was formed specifically to resist Israeli occupation of Lebannon. Hezbollah formed while Israel was actually occupying the areas Hezbollah operates from, so I don't how anyone can think Israel can dismantle Hezbollah by reoccupying Lebannon. All Israel will do is recreate the situation that gave birth to Hezbollah. Hezbollah has also historically targeted mainly military targets (it has in fact denounced terrorism) . It's attacks had virtually stopped after Israel withdrew from Lebannon (though there is still some Syrian territory Hezbollah was fighting for). The rocket attacks only started after Israel attacked Lebannon in response to the capturing of the two IDF soldiers. Yet again Israel has decided to exert its military might in a way which will only hurt it. It really is frustrating to see Israel continue to shoot itself in the foot (and sending hundreds of Lebanese civilians to the grave in the process).
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

Postby TheToyMaker » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:19 am

but what freedom would hezbollah be fighting for now, since the israelis werent in lebanon until the kidnapping? israel discontinued the occupation in 2000. what did they have to gain this time? the israelis are in lebanon because they see that they need to make an example of hezbollah to ensure their survival.

also, stews is right about the "leave it alone" idea. eventually people would start fighting over which middle eastern country was right, and then which of the countries fighting over that was right, and so on.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:35 am

There are a few reasons Hezbollah may have captured the soldiers.

1) They may have been trying to support Hamas, which although has not been friendly with Hezbollah, is in a similar situation.

2) Lebannon has recently been moving towards a stable moderate democracy in which Hezbollah had minimal power and under which Hezbollah as a military force was facing the threat of being dismantled. Hezbollah may have seen how ready for a fight Israel was when Hamas captured a soldier and taken the opportunity to goad Israel into a fight knowing any Israeli attack would weaken the Lebannese government thus giving more power back to Hezbollah.

3) They could be looking to get the Golan Heights returned to Syria. I don't really think this is likely though.

4) They could be covering for Iran (drawing attention away from the nuclear issues there), though I'm not sure Hezbollah would stick its neck this far out simply as a diversion.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:36 am

5) They thought, "Fuck it, let's start a fight. It's been a while since we last blew something up." :P
Last edited by Montyphy on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Montyphy wrote:5) They thought, "Fuck it, let's start a fight. It's been a while since we last blew something up."

That seems highly unlikely. However much you may disagree with them, or their tactics, the people that run Hezbollah are not drooling idiots. They may be fanatical, but they are not stupid. They wouldn't pick a fight with Israel just to pick a fight. Only a gibbering moron would intentionally pick a fight just for the sake of picking a fight.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”