Italian Man Sues Church over Existance of Jesus

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:21 am

Neh. Genetic enginering - make us all half the size.

Bingo! Twice as much space!
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:47 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
martin wrote:
ChasM wrote:One "vacination" of nano replicators, and you can't drown. You could live underwater.

actually that's impossible, there simply isn't enough surface area in the lungs to get enough oxygen to support a human. nice idea thogh.

I think he's reffering to the use of nanobots to facilitate the conversion of oxygen from water. If so, then assuming the nanobots are exceedingly efficent at converting and cover the whole surfae area of the lungs, you could in theory do it :)

NeoThermic

nah, even at 100% efficiency there simply isn't enough good old O2
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:24 pm

martin wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
martin wrote:
ChasM wrote:One "vacination" of nano replicators, and you can't drown. You could live underwater.

actually that's impossible, there simply isn't enough surface area in the lungs to get enough oxygen to support a human. nice idea thogh.

I think he's reffering to the use of nanobots to facilitate the conversion of oxygen from water. If so, then assuming the nanobots are exceedingly efficent at converting and cover the whole surfae area of the lungs, you could in theory do it :)

NeoThermic

nah, even at 100% efficiency there simply isn't enough good old O2

So fish breath pixie dust extracted from the water then? At 100% efficiency of obtaning oxygen from water, you'll have more oxygen than there is in air.

NeoThermic
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Fish live of oxygen dissolved in the water. It is doubtful that there is enough of that to sustain a human.

However if you found a way to split 2 water molecules into two hytdrogen and a water molecule, then it would work, but you'd need a hell of alot of energy and a way to dispose of the hydrogen. Then a way to cope with the pressure, temperature, and lack of light under water.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 pm

What about when we were in our Mother's womb we were in fluid. Remember the "spank the baby" thing to start the breathing process.

I'm not sure about the nano bots and water in the lungs, you would have a violent reaction underwater till you setteled down.

I would like to see a computer that could read the impulses from the brain, store them read them or reconstruct images.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:26 pm

Lowell wrote:What about when we were in our Mother's womb we were in fluid. Remember the "spank the baby" thing to start the breathing process.

Yes, but you are not breathing. O2 is brought to a fetus via the umbilical chord -- it is carried by the hemoglobin in the mother's blood, exchanged at the placenta, and carried through the fetus' system by the hemoglobin in the fetus' blood. No lungs involved.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:32 pm

edd8990 wrote:Fish live of oxygen dissolved in the water. It is doubtful that there is enough of that to sustain a human.

However if you found a way to split 2 water molecules into two hytdrogen and a water molecule, then it would work, but you'd need a hell of alot of energy and a way to dispose of the hydrogen. Then a way to cope with the pressure, temperature, and lack of light under water.

oh, i see what you mean - If you split the water then there is enough oxygen certainly. and a lot of explosive H2 floating around. I propose anti breathing groups - stop everyone being addicted to oxygen.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:16 am

Oxygenoholics Anonymous is a bit of a mouthful though, martin.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:39 pm

I think I also read that you need a certain amount of nitrogen in what you breath for some reason that escapes me at the moment :).
Finn
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:17 pm

FinnG wrote:I think I also read that you need a certain amount of nitrogen in what you breath for some reason that escapes me at the moment :).

Really? Because when you're in a space suit doing a spacewalk, you're breathing 100% O2. Or when you're diving down under the water, you're breathing 100% O2. (Ok, past a certain depth you'll want a helium-oxygen mix IIRC). It isn't dangerous, and infact it can help your lung efficency :)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:31 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
FinnG wrote:I think I also read that you need a certain amount of nitrogen in what you breath for some reason that escapes me at the moment :).

Really? Because when you're in a space suit doing a spacewalk, you're breathing 100% O2. Or when you're diving down under the water, you're breathing 100% O2. (Ok, past a certain depth you'll want a helium-oxygen mix IIRC). It isn't dangerous, and infact it can help your lung efficency :)

NeoThermic

You haven't done much SCUBA, have you? The deeper you go, the lower the concentration of O2 you breath. O2 is quite dangerous at depth. 100% O2 would kill you.

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:27 pm

Hence the aforementioned helium-oxygen mix past a certain depth?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:51 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Hence the aforementioned helium-oxygen mix past a certain depth?

Yes, as you go deeper, the proportion of inert gasses increases, but even in shallow water, you are probably breathing something other than pure O2.

xander
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:54 pm

Pure O2 is toxic anywhere.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:45 pm

Actually, no, it's toxic if your above a certain pressure (Think about it, at lower pressures you have the same number of O2 molecules in your lungs as you would at lower concentrations). That pressure is less than atmospheric pressure though so its poisionous at 1 atmosphere. I'm not exactly sure where the cut off point is to be honest.
Finn

Return to “Introversion Lounge”