cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 am

nuclear cocaine wrote:
cza wrote:Top five players
1. Zoro's Dog
2. Ace

I'm telling you guys I've never seen ace beat 8 games in a row other than by Hooru ! I have him as #1 by far

Cocaine, Zoro's Dog = Hooru. Of his various names, I like Zoro's Dog best.

I built my list thinking of the old players up through current times, rather than who was great for their particular time. Ie, if we could have everyone playing at the peak of their power right now, where would people rank? Nightwatch, you were definitely top five once upon a time, but some of the older people have gotten stronger. Baton is exhibit A, as he proved in the "boss" tourney after he found the damn ring. There are some strong players in the later generations and Laika is the cream of this crop. The space puppy in his current form would have beaten up most of the old top players, since he practices the old fundamentals (esp. naval) along with Mrmot's perfected silo blinding. He is also a mathematician on par with rusMike.

I have used my third-eye vision, and TOM BUSCH will be the top player in the year 2046.
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 pm

StifflerStyle wrote:Honoured I made some lists <3! But I agree with Nightwatch I was too impatient for top 5 :D

dont forget countersmurf, I remember having a real hard time with his fleet control
How could i forget smurf? We made an excellent team. Go Nightsmurf!

cza wrote:The space puppy in his current form would have beaten up most of the old top players, since he practices the old fundamentals (esp. naval) along with Mrmot's perfected silo blinding. He is also a mathematician on par with rusMike.
Yeah, but who is the greater player, the one who invents the tactic or the one who uses it?
It might very well be, that there are more complete Defcon players out there now than we had back in the day (excluding MOR IMO). During my time we didnt have much institutional knowledge to draw from. It was a different game back then and it allowed for a different player style compared to later years. I remember tourneys in which basics like naval nuking and scouting were new concepts. The styles of individual players really varied and all of us got better with each tourney. Really fun times.
I never was top five when it came to the hole microgaming asepct of the game IMO. Micromanaging fleet engagements, perfect silos nuking, saturation strikes, i could do but there were always better players. What made the game work for me was the macro aspect of it all. Like in chess, you dont just play the game, you play your opponent as well. Think of it as metagame. You can make your opponent think. You can outsmart him, outmaneuver him, overpower him. Or BOR him to death. Many players tend to forget that and they stick to things they know best without thinking about overall strategy.
Anyway, thing was, after a couple of years and many tourneys most got the message. And while strategic variations in defcon are finite, the introduction of new tactics - silospotting – overemphasized the the tactical aspect of the game once more. I think many didn’t realize the magnitude change silospotting brought to the game for macroplayers. If you basically need to write off your silo formation – even if you have the skill to do the same – it totally changes the metagame. Which was unfortunate IMO but you cant stop progress.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Tipical fat ass multiple post :wink:
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:04 pm

yeah wtf
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Imho it's not like there was much to invent after few first waves of players, and what has left now is very micro-level.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Laika_rus wrote:Imho it's not like there was much to invent after few first waves of players, and what has left now is very micro-level.

Thats just how you play. :P
When you stack your ships and the nukes come in and I see the paths forming heels, I know you are in micro-managing hell. And using the ruler creates the same phenomena. It's just too much management to deal with, kinda like a bandwidth limitation for humans.
It's part of my metagame already (or was in a few games where I could take advantage of it).
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:04 pm

four ship fleets are the best way to perfectly micro your fleet xD. even two ship fleets are too much to micro perfectly :-)
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 pm

1 ship management is realistic if you are hardcore enough; 4 ships imo are too often impossible to save from stray nukes.
Last edited by Laika on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:13 pm

lol, maybe things have changed
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:16 pm

Want to play a game on sunday ? Let's give a show for Zoro. :)
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 am

Laika_rus wrote:Want to play a game on sunday ? Let's give a show for Zoro. :)

Calm calm calm baby!

I'm hard to die. In italian we say: to sell pricey the skin! I can sell pricey my skin for you all (laika, buddha, my dog and the bacon inside my legs) :mrgreen:

I love you bastards
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:39 pm

CZA, I am disgusted I didn't make any of your lists. You always said I was easily the most annoying Turtle you had ever played.

Noe enough love for Mike: what I saw of him, he was amazing.

I do think ZoroDoggy has definitely earned the right to be the best ever historically, but if SpaceDoggy was challenged I think he would play 10 games a day until he was better :P
http://15percentfaster.com is my new website.
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 am

Time to reanimate a ranking again? :P
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style
let's dance for a while
heaven can wait
we're only watching the skies
hoping for the best
but expecting the worst