Harlem Shake

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Brosef Stalin
level2
level2

Harlem Shake

Postby Brosef Stalin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

This "dance"/meme is popular in USA..... WHY!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkNrSpqUr-E
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Well, considering that the majority of Americans don't believe in evolution, don't understand that Obama didn't raise their taxes, think that fingernails and hair continue to grow after death, and seriously entertain the notion of someday winning powerball, I think the answer is obvious. Our countrymen are imbeciles.
Brosef Stalin
level2
level2

Postby Brosef Stalin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Just found this... CZA, what are you teaching in school these days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:45 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Castle Bravo
level2
level2

Postby Castle Bravo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 am

These steryotypes about Americans are not fully true. Obama raised taxes, but only by two percent due to the expiration of the social security tax cuts. These people in this video are complete and utter fools. Plus this is before when they only taught shit like American History, Arithmetic and reading in schools.
Castle Bravo
level2
level2

Postby Castle Bravo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 am

oh and Kudayta, your hair and fingernails actually do continue to grow after death because your body still has energy stored which causes you finger nails and hair to continue to grow. Pretty cool isn't it. I learned that last year in 7th grade life science. That is one of the things they taught us last year.
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 am

Last week I learned that no one in my class of sixteen upperclassmen knew what Reconstruction was.

Sigh.

P.S. I wouldn't call letting temporary sunset legislation expire on schedule a tax hike. It's the end of a holiday, a holiday that was never intended to be the first step in a permanent reduction of social security taxes.
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 am

Castle Bravo wrote:I learned that last year in 7th grade life science.

7th grade, eh? Precociousness is good, but I'm not sure I'd disagree with Kudayta on that one. I suspect he may have first hand knowledge.*

Castle Bravo wrote: These people in this video are complete and utter fools.

Given the right circumstances, anything is possible. Loosen' up. Might be fun.

* And just to avoid any misunderstanding: I believe it is possible that Kudayta has spent enough time around dead people that he feels comfortable making that statement.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

- Tobias - wrote:* And just to avoid any misunderstanding: I believe it is possible that Kudayta has spent enough time around dead people that he feels comfortable making that statement.

Perhaps around dead people in general, but enough with each one individually? :wink:

Also, has this sort of street interview to make you look like an idiot been done in other 'educated' nations? I'd Google, but videos are blocked.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Also, has this sort of street interview to make you look like an idiot been done in other 'educated' nations?

Sure, it has nothing to do with the country, you just pick a few overly stupid respondents out of, say, a hundred people on the streets and direct all the question to them. Among several such videos I've seen, there was one about Russia, people in the video had no idea what Holocaust or observatory was and were clueless about what Hiroshima and Nagasaki are famous for.

On the other hand, sizable portion of Americans indeed believe in demonic possession, deny evolution and can't show USA on the map.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Also, has this sort of street interview to make you look like an idiot been done in other 'educated' nations?

Yes I recall there was one in the UK with verbal reasoning/riddle-type questions, but I can't seem to find it. Similar kind of stupidity though.

One of them was:

You overtake the second person in the race, what position are you now in?

and the answer was given as 'first'. I remember it because it actually fooled me too :lol:
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Castle Bravo wrote:oh and Kudayta, your hair and fingernails actually do continue to grow after death because your body still has energy stored which causes you finger nails and hair to continue to grow. Pretty cool isn't it. I learned that last year in 7th grade life science. That is one of the things they taught us last year.

Is this a joke? Your teacher is an idiot.
Read something about mitochondria, ATP, apoptosis and necrosis.

If you are dead, you don't breath anymore. No oxygen, no ATP, no life. Sure, you dead body is still full of energy...like coal or oil...

Remember: Life is the most complex thing on earth, maybe even in the universe.
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Perhaps this is what the teacher meant...

PETER BUEHLER, GERMANY wrote:Not for long. The gruesome idea of nails and hair continuing to grow on a rotting corpse is fascinating. But it’s a myth – at least if you’re thinking of luscious locks and long, curly fingernails growing inside a coffin. Nails and hair may appear to keep growing, but this is because flesh shrinks as it dries out, retracting the skin to make the nails and hair appear longer. There is a little truth in the story though, because death isn’t an instantaneous process. When someone’s heart stops beating their brain cells die very quickly, but cells that use less oxygen can live a little longer. So potentially hair and nails could grow a tiny bit after the brain is dead.
Castle Bravo
level2
level2

Postby Castle Bravo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 am

now i wasnt saying that you would have luscious locks of hair after 10 years in the ground or fingernails curving to and fro throughout you nice plush coffin.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

The myth about hair and fingernails growing seems to stem from the fact that, as a dead body decays or dessicates, the skin tightens, exposing more nail and hair, which gives the appearance of growth. It has nothing to do with there being energy in the body or any cellular activity going on.

xander

Return to “General”