2v2: Winter Tourney | Finished: stats coming whenever

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Laika
Site Admin

2v2: Winter Tourney | Finished: stats coming whenever

Postby Laika » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 am

Tournament is going on ! Post in the thread to sign up.

Stats: last update: 04.02.2013

Games & teams

Sign-up:

To sign up, just post "In".

Tourney format:

This is a 2v2 tourney. In the end, the team with the biggest number of victories wins.

Technical details:

A password protected server will be launched for the tourney. Game settings will be a default mode of 2v2. Teams are free to agree on territories, or restart and change them before Defcon 3. In case of drop before Defcon 3, game is restarted; after Defcon 3 - remaining players decide if they wish to continue. Pause will be enabled, with no time budget.

Restrictions:

Don't ruin game for other players. Wasting others' people time is bad and will be punished with IP ban from server. Bug exploiting* is not allowed and will be punished with temporal ban.

*Nuke banking that doesn't lock victory timer leads to temporal ban, more breaches means longer period of ban. Nuke banking that makes game impossible to finish leads to permanent ban. Deliberate sending fleet through land, or using space bombers leads to temporal ban.

Referee team:

Vicious
Ace Rimmer
Zorotama
mvpe
Tobias
Last edited by Laika on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 am, edited 70 times in total.
A8U51V3 M0TH
level3
level3

Postby A8U51V3 M0TH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:50 am

I think that asking for a Fee is a problem. While its nice to know their could be a cash prize its not that important.

Why would any average player want to pay to enter a tourney he can't win - this isn''t Poker its not what gamblers call "equal chance gaming". Too much skills involved in Defcon so all of your average players participating are just providing dead money.

I will only play if its free to enter, Personally i'm not prepared to pay to enter any game unless I am happy I have a perceived equal chance to win and Defcon is one of those games.

also this: "After signups are closed, the most experienced non-contesting player of my choice will arbitrary separate all players into 2 teams." - No way! Who is this "uber-judge" and how will they know how to do that fairly? Its a task of Hercules and will cause more arguments than it solves.

(PS - trying to help as I would love to play)
i know i should not
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Sorting teams isn't that difficult. There might always be arguments, since people like to argue, but there are pretty clear tiers in Defcon. If you've played a while, you have a decent sense of competitive balance, and a decent sorter would ask around if there are any players they don't know much about. Laika's idea is good because it removes the issue of competitors putting themselves in an easier bracket, or self-selection/personal politics leading to a stacked team. For instance, back in high school the director of a chess league I played in put his school in a weak division and threw the three strongest teams in a different division. No surprise his school usually made the finals.
Mrmot
level4
level4

Postby Mrmot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Make server decides alliances so there will not be arguing about teams.
[color=lime]4. Mrmot, the blind nuking king, beast and dishmaster! ++ >
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Mrmot wrote:Make server decides alliances so there will not be arguing about teams.

That makes distribution of winning pot much a bigger problem, which I don't want to take on myself.

I think I can develop CZA idea and make team separation more specific - divide all players into tiers by the skill, and write in rules that for each player from a tier in one team, a player from the same tier must be in another. For example, this is acceptable:

Code: Select all

Team1 - Team2

T1 - T1
T2 - T2

Where T# is the number of tier.
This is not acceptable:

Code: Select all

T1-T1
T2-T1

Separating job sounds important, but imo shouldn't be hard, anyone who played some games recently should be able to do it.
A8U51V3 M0TH
level3
level3

Postby A8U51V3 M0TH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 pm

CZA makes a strong point - I think i understand it better now thanks to Laikas description too.
If it was done that way I would have no problems.

But the "money" aspect still worries me - why not free to enter?
i know i should not
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 pm

A8U51V3 M0TH wrote:CZA makes a strong point - I think i understand it better now thanks to Laikas description too.
If it was done that way I would have no problems.

But the "money" aspect still worries me - why not free to enter?

Because of players signing up and not playing ! That's my way to enforce people taking it more seriously. I changed min fee size to make it more obvious.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Ace Rimmer - In
Fee -? (minimum)

Just a thought, why not allow anybody to sign up, thus having a larger roster, but also letting people pay the fee. Anybody that doesn't pay the fee doesn't get a chance at the pot (those that do pay can play for it, in the end). Also, what about using (MOR)'s fair territory matchup as a basis? The server doesn't pick the teams, but does pick the territories the teams use.

Please feel free to ignore my ideas.

Lastly, no matter how perfect this is done, most people will complain about it. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Mrmot
level4
level4

Postby Mrmot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

In and will pay only with paypal.
[color=lime]4. Mrmot, the blind nuking king, beast and dishmaster! ++ >
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 pm

You could easily separate the games into premium vs free and keep two records:

1. Overall (every game counts, but these results have no bearing on the 'pot' play)
2. Premium (only games where all players paid the fee count), and this one decides the winner of the pot.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
A8U51V3 M0TH
level3
level3

Postby A8U51V3 M0TH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm

A8U51V3 M0TH - In

But I am not interested paying a fee to enter - so if it pay only I will be Out.

I am not interested in gambling over defcon outcomes its not about cost of entrance fees its about exclusivity, I also think you will struggle to find enough players willing or able to pay but I may be wrong.

apart from that I am 100% happy about conditions so far!
i know i should not
Brosef Stalin
level2
level2

Postby Brosef Stalin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm

I would like to be in as well. But I am a poor poor University student. I do not have $3... Just take the money aspect out?
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm on travel since sunday and still on, I can't read the thread now but just add me if possible..
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm

in
http://15percentfaster.com is my new website.

Return to “General”