New servers

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Dunno if this is possible, but 2v2/3v3 where the game starts as "Premium Diplomacy" (you can't leave the Alliance), but with selective radar sharing - and at Defcon 3 or 1 (can't decide which is best) the Bot divides the players randomly into two teams.
It might perhaps break the "routine" of players knowing exactly how to place in each game where they know who the enemy is from the start.

Ps. Haven't played for a looong time, so feel free to point out how ridiculous/impossible to implement it would be .
:P
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm not sure it's possible, however bigger part of the game code is still a blackbox witchcraft to me (and with similiar general knowledge in programming I'm going to set up a recording site. lol). Someone more competent like bert can give a more precise answer.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:36 am

I don't know if it's possible either, but that is a good idea. Much better than random alliances before the game starts, if you ask me.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 am

Blackbeard wrote:- and at Defcon 3 or 1 (can't decide which is best) the Bot divides the players randomly into two teams.

On reflection, perhaps Defcon 3 would best, giving players the opportunity to engage in Naval battle before the nukes begin to fly (as MOR would say, "No navy battle before Defcon 1 is not good" :lol: ).
A8U51V3 M0TH
level3
level3

Postby A8U51V3 M0TH » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:03 pm

having fun on variable 1v1, makes for new interesting game- ty laika
i know i should not
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Servers will be down for couple of days.
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 pm

A8U51V3 M0TH wrote:having fun on variable 1v1, makes for new interesting game- ty laika

Yup Variable is interesting, thanks Doggy.
http://15percentfaster.com is my new website.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 am

OK, I accidentally deleted one of system folders on server and killed it. lol
Can't promise anything, but it's likely that I'm finishing all the work on servers today, including recordings.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Hahaha, why not you try linux at your computer as a virtual machine ? Like that you learn fast and you apply all at your virtual machine and you will be sure about what you do then do it in your vps..

Also you will no need to format or partition anything in your drive.. You can also use a live cd

Check for VirtualBox to get more infos, it's free.. If not get a try with VMware for 30days, it will be enoght for your learning
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Well, I have backups of everything I need, and vps operator offers free maintenance, which works fast and nice. I need to do couple of clicks to reinstall the system and restore info. So, the only reason why servers are still not working is my laziness. :roll: But thank you for advice !
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Laika if there is sumthing u dont understand or sumthing goes wrong u can always use kuvalda. :D :D :D Edit: For those who dont know using kuvalda on things is Soviet style tinkering.
Last edited by Deadcows on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm

i am convinced, Laika tinker a website for the recs and in some weeks we can watch all recs in a movie player(HD quality?) without dedcon. :lol:
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style
let's dance for a while
heaven can wait
we're only watching the skies
hoping for the best
but expecting the worst
are you gonna drop the bomb or not?
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Forever Young wrote:i am convinced, Laika tinker a website for the recs and in some weeks we can watch all recs in a movie player(HD quality?) without dedcon. :lol:

ahahaha :lol: You give me too much credit :P
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

Laika_rus wrote:
Forever Young wrote:i am convinced, Laika tinker a website for the recs and in some weeks we can watch all recs in a movie player(HD quality?) without dedcon. :lol:

ahahaha :lol: You give me too much credit :P

:lol:
but my idea is awesome or not?:P
would be great to click the play button to watch the recs and also possible to watch faster or to jump at a special gametime with one click. :P
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style

let's dance for a while

heaven can wait

we're only watching the skies

hoping for the best

but expecting the worst

are you gonna drop the bomb or not?

Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Sure idea is good.. Not sure if possible, but I think it is. Either way, I will not be able to do it anytime soon.

(MOR), I did it through loop after all :P Crontab refused to work, though I'm sure that script was written properly. I killed 2 hours on it, tried to launch with crontab in /etc, all in vain. Guess there is some subtlety I missed; well, loop works nicely too, although needs more work to maintain.

Recs: arcghost.de/recordings

Return to “General”