Play Both sides

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

david@djlprinting.com
level1
level1

Play Both sides

Postby david@djlprinting.com » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Is there any way to be able to play each side.. I would like to be both the us and russia lets say while they attack each other.. Any way to do that?
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:38 pm

No, however you can play both US and Russia whilst attacking another area.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 pm

turn on team switching in advanced options. press numbers 1-6 (players 1-6) 7=spectator view ( can see everything)
add yourself and CPU's use team switching to control CPU units.
control both sides!
HOWEVER, CPU can still act independently, while this is good if you don't want to have to micromanage two players at the same time, this is bad if the CPU keeps making orders you don't want it to do.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 pm

AIRburst95 wrote:No, however you can play both US and Russia whilst attacking another area.

yes you can, check team switching
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 pm

BMN wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:No, however you can play both US and Russia whilst attacking another area.

Team switching, (obviously) switches what area you control, however the CPU will still control the place you are not. I'm pretty sure he's talking about controlling both of them at the same time, but with different colors. This could possibly work with some tweaking of the source code, but it's not worth the effort.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 pm

AIRburst95 wrote:
BMN wrote:

Team switching, (obviously) switches what area you control, however the CPU will still control the place you are not. I'm pretty sure he's talking about controlling both of them at the same time, but with different colors. This could possibly work with some tweaking of the source code, but it's not worth the effort.

Team switching works with different colors, and even with non-CPU players. It makes for ridiculous games.
If the player is originally CPU, then it always issues CPU orders, which have to be overriden once in a while, but players that are non-CPU stay that way and if no issues are ordered, then nothing happens, just like if you were away from the computer.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 pm

The only other way is to use two computers side by side. However, both work to about the same degree, with two computers, you need two keys, but with teamswitching, a CPU player will continue to act on it's own unless you monitor it to stop if from doing stupid things.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 pm

BMN wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:
BMN wrote:

Team switching works with different colors, and even with non-CPU players. It makes for ridiculous games.
If the player is originally CPU, then it always issues CPU orders, which have to be overriden once in a while, but players that are non-CPU stay that way and if no issues are ordered, then nothing happens, just like if you were away from the computer.

But again, I don't think this is what he was asking for.

simultaneous ordering =/= team switching
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 pm

I know both ways work because I've experimented playing games against myself. I mean no disrespect, airburst. I know you are knowledgable but there are some things you might not have tinkered with, and therefor had not discovered previously.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:51 pm

BMN wrote:I know both ways work because I've experimented playing games against myself. I mean no disrespect, airburst. I know you are knowledgable but there are some things you might not have tinkered with, and therefor had not discovered previously.

You've played games against yourself? To completion?
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 pm

AIRburst95 wrote:
BMN wrote:I know both ways work because I've experimented playing games against myself. I mean no disrespect, airburst. I know you are knowledgable but there are some things you might not have tinkered with, and therefor had not discovered previously.

What's the point of a game unless you explore every single possibility?
and besides, isn't playing against CPU technically playing by yourself ? The CPU can never surprise you, and you know what it's thinking. There isn't much difference other than a much larger load when micro-managing.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 am

BMN wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:

What's the point of a game unless you explore every single possibility?
and besides, isn't playing against CPU technically playing by yourself ? The CPU can never surprise you, and you know what it's thinking. There isn't much difference other than a much larger load when micro-managing.

But that's like comparing playing checkers against a computer verses playing yourself at checkers (flipping the board around)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:52 am

Playing yourself is much harder if you use chess.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 am

It is possible. If you play as one nation controlling two areas, you could manually target areas near cities and near your units to be nuked.

Sorry, you cannot direct attack your own units and cities.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 am

ryacko wrote:It is possible. If you play as one nation controlling two areas, you could manually target areas near cities and near your units to be nuked.

Sorry, you cannot direct attack your own units and cities.

actually you can. select a nuke, click down and hold, mouse over city, release click and ta-da city is selected as nuke target. even if it's your own city. How else am I suppose to troll diplo games? (oops, did I say that out loud?)

Return to “Think Tank”