Desperately Need New Player Server

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Desperately Need New Player Server

Postby -- Tobias -- » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

While we have discussed a server dedicated to training New Players for a long time, nothing has ever happened.

Somehow, every once and a while, a new flock of New Players arrive. This is one of those times. Unlike days past, however, the difference between Veteran Players and New Players is so great, that I fear none from these newer bitches (er, batches) of New Players willl ever hang around long enough to actually become decent players. They are simply squashed too quickly, and wholly demoralized. Sure, some find solace in diplomacy for a while with players of their kind, but eventually the weak competitive nature of Diplomacy causes them to just fade away.

Without obtaining any glimmer of possible success in the competive arenas, far fewer New Players are sticking around.

I re-state the need for some sort of New Player training server. Here's a link to some past thoughts of mine on this topic:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?p=116257#116257.

Let's not let the great stand in way of the good. While an automated AI bot-driven simulation might be best, it's not forthcoming in the near term, and we need a special server now.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 pm

If the Ake/SFCON/ LFO dudes don't get round to it, I will set one up on my raspberry pi. Plenty powerful enough for the job and it isn't being used atm.
Pacman
level1
level1

Postby Pacman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 pm

i approve of this messgage, i really wanna get better.
By the one and only pacman. Can also be seen in game as Richard Nixon
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm open to the idea of having an AKE Group server for this but then there would need to be a lot more thoughts put into it.

For example, there would need to be a check to prevent experienced players from spoiling things. Do you think limiting the number of games that can be played on this particular server would be a good idea? Say, after 15 games on this server a player won't be able to take part in any more game?

What about the game mode? Should it be an introduction to premium diplomacy, which is by far the most popular game mode on AKE Group servers?
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 pm

keger wrote:I'm open to the idea of having an AKE Group server for this but then there would need to be a lot more thoughts put into it.

For example, there would need to be a check to prevent experienced players from spoiling things. Do you think limiting the number of games that can be played on this particular server would be a good idea? Say, after 15 games on this server a player won't be able to take part in any more game?

Well, depends on how you manage identification of the players. Steam, as you know, changes a player's keyID every so often.

keger wrote:What about the game mode? Should it be an introduction to premium diplomacy, which is by far the most popular game mode on AKE Group servers?

No, we want the players to get good at competitive Defcon, not diplo.
StifflerStyle
level2
level2

Postby StifflerStyle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Yeah I noticed back in my playing days that the retention of new players in Defcon was always very low,
thats why I made a tutorial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_wOBCG64P0
And everytime you play with someone new refer to this forum (theres an awesome tutorial section: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=6865 )

But there will always be casual players who just want to build 6 fleets and just nuke for funsies, nothing wrong with that
just go easy on them when u are pitted against them :D
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:27 am

StifflerStyle wrote:Yeah I noticed back in my playing days that the retention of new players in Defcon was always very low,
thats why I made a tutorial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_wOBCG64P0
And everytime you play with someone new refer to this forum (theres an awesome tutorial section: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=6865 )

But there will always be casual players who just want to build 6 fleets and just nuke for funsies, nothing wrong with that
just go easy on them when u are pitted against them :D

Stylish video.

I started my own series but demand was too low to make me want to continue.
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:21 am

keger wrote:For example, there would need to be a check to prevent experienced players from spoiling things.

I'm not sure we are on the same page here. My thinking was that it would be an "open" server where experienced players could take some time to voluntarily tutor newbies.

There would be two main components:

1) The bot messages, which should be repeated every 20 minutes or so to drill them into memory; and
2) the visiting veterans who would spend 10-15 minutes helping a new player out.

In addition, it might have open chat, and even full visibility for all units.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 am

-- Tobias -- wrote:
keger wrote:For example, there would need to be a check to prevent experienced players from spoiling things.

I'm not sure we are on the same page here. My thinking was that it would be an "open" server where experienced players could take some time to voluntarily tutor newbies.

There would be two main components:

1) The bot messages, which should be repeated every 20 minutes or so to drill them into memory; and
2) the visiting veterans who would spend 10-15 minutes helping a new player out.

In addition, it might have open chat, and even full visibility for all units.

And pause enabled. Very important if you are teaching people.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:44 am

Is there any way to mod Defcon to give a mild electric shock to someone that does something stupid?
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 am

kudayta wrote:Is there any way to mod Defcon to give a mild electric shock to someone that does something stupid?

if you had the source and could make it interface with arduino or something similar, I imagine you could.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:53 am

TheGranaryBytes wrote:
kudayta wrote:Is there any way to mod Defcon to give a mild electric shock to someone that does something stupid?

if you had the source and could make it interface with arduino or something similar, I imagine you could.

Sweet, then we could do our very own Milgram Experiment.
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 am

TheGranaryBytes wrote:

I like the way you think (I think).
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:53 am

StifflerStyle wrote:But there will always be casual players who just want to build 6 fleets and just nuke for funsies, nothing wrong with that just go easy on them when u are pitted against them :D

No way. I'm not talking about these pansies! These players should do diplo only, or we should sic kudayta on them until they vanish! These "players" are the bane of defcon imo. I'm talking about players that want to become competitive, so games can be more challenging for the entire group. I have neither the time nor inclination to hand-hold these sorts.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 am

-- Tobias -- wrote:...or we should sic kudayta on them until they vanish...

Return to “General”