General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

BGP
level2
level2

Re: I Am Interested In The Code.

Postby BGP » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 pm

namj13 wrote:To whom it may concern,
This is an announcement of my interest in the Defcon code.
Is it possibile to get the key for the Mac version rather than the PC version?
Facebook: <snip>
Please PM the key to me.
-namj13

To the best of my knowledge, the authkeys are platform /OS independent. It should still work.

I click on that link and all I get is:

Code: Select all

This content is currently unavailable

That will not suffice. Since you don't have the mandatory five posts to your account (see giveaway rules on page 1) you must do as another user in your similar situation has done. You must upload a screenshot of Defcon and make it public and give us the link. And you must demonstrate that you have more than 50 friends on your Facebook account. This can't be a fly by the night account that you created just for this purpose. Only then will I be satisfied with identity verification.

Here is an example: <snip>

-----

As of today (June 29th 2012) the BGP has decided to give away TEN (10) free copies (virgin brand new and unique authkey codes) to the first ten players of Defcon who currently does not have and/or can not afford a full version of the game. This giveaway is valid and will expire only when the first ten authkeys have already been handed out. This is for the digital online download copy on PC and not the boxed version nor steam. This is a first come first serve basis, based on eligibility : see below.

The rules are simple:

1. You must have - prior to today - already signed up and registered on this forums.introversion.co.uk with at LEAST a total post count of FIVE (5) or more posts. This is to prevent fraud, abuse or the same person creating new accounts to acquire all the keys. The only exception I am willing to make is if you have a facebook account with more than 50 "friends" and I can verify that... then that would also be a means of authentication and you would not need to have those five posts. But you would still need to create a new account on this forum to satisfy requirements #2 and #4 below.

2. You must post in this thread publicly, indicating that you would like a copy of Defcon and then you must send me a private message indicating whether you would like the key to be delivered to you via email (in which case I would need your email address - so please include that in your private message to me) or you could simply request that I send the code to you via the forum private message and no email would be required.

3. After I confirm you are interested, I will then - and only then - go on Defcon to purchase the code for you. I do not have these codes with me beforehand, I will have to buy them manually on Defcon. These will be brand new codes, never used, never authenticated before and obviously never shared with anyone.

4. Upon receipt of the code and successful authentication in-game (converting Demo to Full) all that I ask is that you publicly post back on here to confirm that you did indeed receive a new working code from me (BGP). And (OPTIONAL) also post the last NINE (9) characters of your authkey, your key ID (for identifying you in online server play, etc) and your preferred or predominate player/username online. If you do not post publicly announcing and confirming the receipt of the new code within 7 days I will post the entire code publicly online with your corresponding forum username and ask that Introversion invalidate that particular code.

If this "giveaway" is against any DEFCON rules please Defcon admins delete this post and informed me promptly. Thank you.
keyID = 436060 apollo13@lavabit.com
namj13
level2
level2

Facebook Account

Postby namj13 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Here are two links,
Links removed

My security settings are not working correctly, but if you view the profile link from another facebook profile, it should appear, these should work fine, below is screenshots of my profile and the friends pages.
Picture in album form on imgur
link removed
Last edited by namj13 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Namj13
BGP
level2
level2

Re: Facebook Account

Postby BGP » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 am

namj13 wrote:Here are two links,
<snip>

My security settings are not working correctly, but if you view the profile link from another facebook profile, it should appear, these should work fine, below is screenshots of my profile and the friends pages.
Picture in album form on imgur
<snip>

MCLVIF-******-******-KRCUIM-AXT has been purchased brand-new for forum user (namj13) at 00:52:02 2012-07-06 zulu time
New user validated via facebook: <snip; Facebook links removed by bert_the_turtle by request of namj13 with consent of OpenFlow/BGP>

I have sent you a PM. Please confirm!
keyID = 436060 apollo13@lavabit.com
TGR
level3
level3

Re: I Am Interested In The Code.

Postby TGR » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 am

namj13 wrote:To whom it may concern,
This is an announcement of my interest in the Defcon code.
Is it possibile to get the key for the Mac version rather than the PC version?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
Please PM the key to me.
-namj13

So formal, so brave.
Last edited by TGR on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
namj13
level2
level2

Working Key

Postby namj13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:37 pm

This message is confirmation of receiving a working key from user: BGP.
--Namj13
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Well now - here's a potentially interesting moral dilemna for me...

BGP, you and I have, in other threads in other parts of this forum, expressed wildly conflicting opinions on certain subjects. I don't intend to bring that conflict here - it should stay where it belongs. I don't suggest for a second that those differences will be resolved any time soon, either. However, the fact remains that I want one of those keys.

Background: I played the demo many years ago (always me V CPU, never online), enjoyed it, started getting interesting in modding, and bought an auth key so I could unlock all the features. Still never played online. Then the installation, auth key details and all the rest were lost in the wilderness years when I was between computers (never funny when your house burns down, is it? no-one hurt tho...). I never bought another authkey - instead I cheated and hacked a re-downloaded demo version to unlock all features again. My thinking was - I *have* paid in full for these features before, so it's not really stealing (technically, it is - morally, I think not).
However, these days I've been thinking it might be fun to have a go online, and I ain't even going to attempt that with a hacked setup.

So - I would like to formally register my interest in receiving one of the keys you so generously offer. PM pending, as per instructions.

SJ
Nukraine
level2
level2

Postby Nukraine » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

It is stealing, spitjock. As terrible the circumstances are, the destruction of property doesn't justify the theft of property. If you had emailed introversion they might have sympathized as well.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Nukraine wrote:It is stealing, spitjock. As terrible the circumstances are, the destruction of property doesn't justify the theft of property. If you had emailed introversion they might have sympathized as well.

Well, it's copyright infringement. Not theft.
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 pm

I agree Nukraine & Kudayta, but only to a point. Clarification follows:

If I purchase, let's say, a car and that car is lost or destroyed, then to own a car again I must buy another. If I just go and pinch a new one from the maker's factory, that's theft. This is clearly the case.

When I purchased an Auth key from IV, the key itself was not important - it was only the entity required to unlock what I had really purchased - the right to use the full features of the software. Surely, having paid fairly for that right, it should remain my property regardless of my subsequent loss of the key used to unlock that right?

Of course, by hacking the software, I have breached the EULA. I have not made, nor will ever make, the detail of how that was done available to anyone else. Therefore, IV incur no losses as the result of my actions. I paid IV for the right to use the software and have retained that right through unusual, but in no way detrimental to anyone but myself, means.

Legally, I am clearly in the wrong.
Morally, I see no fault.

Some may attest that it is always morally wrong to breach a legal agreement - those few shining souls who have *NEVER* driven over the speed-limit, borrowed a DVD from a friend, become intoxicated, or failed to practice archery (UK only, I suspect). While I respect such an opinion, I cannot agree with it. I will, however, comply with the consensus of opinion of the Defcon community. If enough of you feel that I should revert back to clean DEMO status (do please bear in mind, I NEVER play online with hacked code) until such time as I have a new legally obtained auth key, or worse yet, feel I should cease to use the software and this forum in any form whatsoever, then that is how it shall be.

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.

SJ
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:11 pm

You're right in that the legality of the question is largely settled (barring any new political movements to limit intellectual property rights, which doesn't seem likely). The morality of the situation is, I think, more complex than a mere posting on a forum can properly address.

That said, engaging in any financial transaction with BGP is clearly immoral. You even (essentially) argued as much in your PM to me the other day.
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:35 pm

I dunno I'd call it immoral. Sometimes trolls are just misunderstood jokers - it's happened to me when my bizzarro sense of humour goes down badly. Not always, but sometimes. Benefit of Doubt extended, in this case. And I've explained to him, if it means I'm expected to recant, then I don't want it. Separate issues, in my book...

Not holding breath, anyway. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Actually, SpitJock, your situation brings up another potential pitfall with getting a key from BGP. Under normal circumstances, if you lose your key, you can login to the IV store (or contact IV directly) and recover said key. If you get a key from BGP, what guarantee do you have that you can recover the key? Moreover, what guarantee do you have that BGP won't, at some point, rescind the key, use it himself, or give it to someone else?

xander
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

A very valid point you make there, xander. Guess that would come down to hoping BGP's as honest and truthful in this deal as he is in everything else. Oh. Umm... wait.....

BGP - no offence intended here. I formally withdraw my request for a key. I'll go buy one for myself, like the (rational, but blind) law says I should.

SJ
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm

SpitJock wrote:A very valid point you make there, xander. Guess that would come down to hoping BGP's as honest and truthful in this deal as he is in everything else. Oh. Umm... wait.....

BGP - no offence intended here. I formally withdraw my request for a key. I'll go buy one for myself, like the (rational, but blind) law says I should.

SJ

If you bought a key at some point, it might make more sense to contact IV and see if they can recover it for you.

xander
TGR
level3
level3

Postby TGR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm

xander wrote:
SpitJock wrote:A very valid point you make there, xander. Guess that would come down to hoping BGP's as honest and truthful in this deal as he is in everything else. Oh. Umm... wait.....

SJ

If you bought a key at some point, it might make more sense to contact IV and see if they can recover it for you.

xander

I took the Liberty of PM'ing him a key I have not used from one of the HiB I bought. Whether he uses it or not is on him but idgaf either way I'd just rather it went to use than sit in my inbox.

Return to “General”