General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:55 am

xander wrote:
jon wrote:Fixed pathfinding: that is the dream

One does not really need the source code to make some major improvements to the pathfinding. Generally, DGs will go straight to their destination. However, if they cannot follow a straight path, they will go first to a travel node, which is an invisible building on the map. Then they will travel via the network of nodes to the node closest to their destination, and try to follow a straight line from there to their destination. By editing the maps, you can significantly improve pathfinding. However, as with any source mod, you would also need to ensure that every player has the same version of the map.

xander

Just fix the arctic. Please.

P.S. Maybe Indonesia and New Zealand too.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:56 pm

zoros dog wrote:so does this mean someone can fix the bugs and release a version (a mod) that we can all play?

Well, I downloaded it. Had a peek at the code (had a laugh too...).

Now i'm trying to build it, but it seems I also need the DirectX SDK... It's downloading, but I guess more annoyances will soon follow.

(I dont even know what version of the SDK I need...)
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Great... I got it up and running.

Had to remove "source" somewhere to be able to join a server... lol

Well, let's see what i can fix. the list is long.

The unofficial defcon bug list:

-1- Bombers when directed to fly to a new waypoint sometimes fly the opposite way, in a circle. Most noticable to the top of the screen.

-2- Bombers and fighters sometimes cling on to enemy ships.

-3- Bombers sometimes keep track of a target that is no longer in their range, instead of losing track, or acquire a new, closer target. Even worse, sometimes that target should no longer be visible, but is.

-4- Silos will target armed bombers before bombers that no longer hold a nuke. Silos should not be able to make this distinction.

-5- When your subs are pinging and engaging enemy cpu subs, then those enemy cpu subs will fire back even when they themselves are not pinging. Non-pinging human subs cannot shoot at subs.

-6- Sometimes, at the end of a game, the score will be different.

-7- The chat window cannot be resized (well, it can, but it will reset automagically).

-8- Drawing text in chat window eats way too much resources.

-9- Possible memory leak, defcon's used memory size keeps increasing during games.

-10- When retargeting a unit, that unit will restart its "next-fire-moment" countdown. It shouldn't.

-11- The number of nukes remaining is counted wrong.

-12- Subs should be able to fire at anything, not just land bases targets.

-13- Launching a fighter from a carrier to a target will move the fleet in that direction. It should stay put, or remain on whatever course it was.

-14- Nukes sometimes go haywire if they cross the seam twice.

-15- Subs can hit tokyo from middle of pacific, way beyond their range.

-16- Ships still can cross land.

-17- Linux client seems to have a bug where submerged subs (after they fired nukes) remain visible.

-18- black area (top and bottom of map) is accesible by air units

-19- Window zooming is bugged when going beyond a certain screen resolution

-20- Manual silo targetting doesn't work, the silo will switch to another target after the first shot.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:35 pm

weps if u do this it will be awesome.

#10 fix fighter retarget bug -> i agree with completely if you remove the fighter retarget bug then fighters become much more powerful

#12 subs can nuke anywhere -> i dont agree with or disagree with but it will be a huge game changer! for example, take this situation:

EU vs NA 1 v 1. using subs you can reach all of the enemies hiding spots at defcon 1. if you place all your subs in the atlantic, you can fleet nuke pretty much every inch of water. your enemy will have no place to hide. it will be chaos... and maybe a lot of fun!

in my opinion, if fleet nuking is disabled all together the game will be played faster (which i would like, maybe not others). a fleet battle can take 10x longer with fleet nuking because both guys will be constantly pulling back to avoid fleet nukes.

#13 fleet following enemy when plane is directly targeted. a good way to avoid this (currently) is to use the ship stopping trick i posted in the SAC. i would very much like a feature to stop a ship from moving. for example, select moving battleship, press S, ship will stop instantly. select a moving fighter, press S, fighter will cancel order and return to nearest carrier/airbase

but no matter what, if someone can start fixing bugs and releasing working versions for us to all use, that is a huge step in the right direction. even if certain gameplay mechanics are changed and not good, those can be fixed/reversed too.

btw what language is defcon coded in? c++?
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:45 pm

microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm

zoros dog wrote:btw what language is defcon coded in? c++?

Indeed.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:It would be useful if allies can land planes on each others airbases and carriers.

How would the game deal with a backstab? Would the planes go under the ownership of the airbase owner, or would they automatically take off, or would they spontaneously combust?
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:59 pm

microchip08 wrote:
tllotpfkamvpe wrote:It would be useful if allies can land planes on each others airbases and carriers.

How would the game deal with a backstab? Would the planes go under the ownership of the airbase owner, or would they automatically take off, or would they spontaneously combust?

This topic should probably just be about small bugfixes, not huge game changing things.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:14 am

Weps wrote:Great... I got it up and running.
-20- Manual silo targetting doesn't work, the silo will switch to another target after the first shot.

Fixing this would pretty much ruin any veteran game.
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 am

Two bomber things that annoy me....

1) bombers suicidally go to carrier/ base with nukes left instead of a safe carrier without any, seemingly even if out of range

2) once a bomber launches a nuke, it has to be manually told to fire at targets on the way back gggggrrrrrrrr

Would it be possible to integrate one of the bots people developed as well?
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 am

-1- Bombers when directed to fly to a new waypoint sometimes fly the opposite way, in a circle. Most noticable to the top of the screen.

-3- Bombers sometimes keep track of a target that is no longer in their range, instead of losing track, or acquire a new, closer target. Even worse, sometimes that target should no longer be visible, but is.

-4- Silos will target armed bombers before bombers that no longer hold a nuke. Silos should not be able to make this distinction.

-5- When your subs are pinging and engaging enemy cpu subs, then those enemy cpu subs will fire back even when they themselves are not pinging. Non-pinging human subs cannot shoot at subs.

-7- The chat window cannot be resized (well, it can, but it will reset automagically).

-9- Possible memory leak, defcon's used memory size keeps increasing during games.

-10- When retargeting a unit, that unit will restart its "next-fire-moment" countdown. It shouldn't.

-13- Launching a fighter from a carrier to a target will move the fleet in that direction. It should stay put, or remain on whatever course it was.

-17- Linux client seems to have a bug where submerged subs (after they fired nukes) remain visible.

Well, I think we are mixing bugs with features of defcon. Except bombers in artic, subs in land and eternal flyng nukes from pacific to Alpha Centauri there are not other bugs.
zoros dog
level2
level2

Postby zoros dog » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 pm

noooo zoro u are wrong! that list is great and defcon will be 100x better if it is successful.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Zorotama wrote:

Well, I think we are mixing bugs with features of defcon. Except bombers in artic, subs in land and eternal flyng nukes from pacific to Alpha Centauri there are not other bugs.

I guess that most players are so used to most of these things (the directly gameplay related ones) that changing them could be seen as a 'feature'. I on the other hand just see inconsistencies.

E.g.

-5- if a passive AI sub can shoot at my pinging subs, why can't I fire my passive sub at a pinging enemy sub?

-12- subs nuking anything.
Already possible to nuke a ship from a sub, but it ain't exactly easy. And why should i be able to fire from a silo onto anything, and from a bomber, but not from a sub? And why, when i got so far to actually have my sub launch at a ship, does it switch to patrol mode and move?

-20- Same, anything that can told to be fired on something will remain firing on the indicated target. Except for silo's. I mean wth?

What I'ld call a feature, for instance, adding hitpoints to units. imho, that would introduce skill. Way better than having a lucky bomber butcher your ships ;P

But no worries, whatever I do and produce will not replace 1.6, so you can still play how you want it ;)

Return to “General”