19 and counting

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:53 pm

By the way, about pre-order:

If we preorder the game when they enable the submissions, is there anything extra, or just that you'll be a bit higher on the list of those who will receive a box?

I hope it's only that we get the box faster, so I don't have to worry about missing out anything. If that is the case than I won't preorder, I can still play with the downloadable version just fine, the box is just a little extra for me.
Last edited by Hmuda on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:01 pm

Hmuda wrote:By the way, about pre-order:

If we preorder the game when they enable the submissions, is there anything extra, or just that you'll be a bit higher on the list of those who will receive a box?

I hope it's only that we get the box faster, so I don't ahve to worry about missing out anything. If that is the case than I won't preorder, I can still play with the downloadable version just fine, the box is just a little extra for me.

Well, in the case of Darwinia, many people who preordered got their copies of the game before it was officially released.

xander
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:07 pm

xander wrote:Well, in the case of Darwinia, many people who preordered got their copies of the game before it was officially released.

xander
Hm, that might be a good motivation in this case. Wonder if they plan something like that this time too.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:16 pm

Hmuda wrote:
xander wrote:Well, in the case of Darwinia, many people who preordered got their copies of the game before it was officially released.

xander
Hm, that might be a good motivation in this case. Wonder if they plan something like that this time too.

I'm not sure that it was so much planned. They shipped out the boxes on a particular date, in the hopes that people would get their copies on the release date. Many arrived a day or two early. That is all.

xander
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Ah ok, that makes sense.
Chittix
level2
level2

Postby Chittix » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:44 pm

xander wrote:
Hmuda wrote:

xander

I'm not sure that it was so much planned. They shipped out the boxes on a particular date, in the hopes that people would get their copies on the release date. Many arrived a day or two early. That is all.

xander

Like mine! :D
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:22 pm

What is the point in pre ordering a game that is primarily digital distribution?

As for pre loading, I doubt there is any point considering the size of Introversions previous games ;).
Finn
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:41 pm

FinnG wrote:What is the point in pre ordering a game that is primarily digital distribution?
Because some people still like the idea of having the box in their collection.
FinnG wrote:As for pre loading, I doubt there is any point considering the size of Introversions previous games ;).
It's not "preloading", it's downloading the game as soon as you buy it. You don't have to wait for the box to play.
WNivek
level2
level2
Location: New Jersey, USA From liquid death to cinnamon toast!

Postby WNivek » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:22 am

Hmuda wrote:
FinnG wrote:As for pre loading, I doubt there is any point considering the size of Introversions previous games ;).
It's not "preloading", it's downloading the game as soon as you buy it. You don't have to wait for the box to play.
I think he's referring to Steam - If I recall, some titles become available for download before actual release, so you can already have the whole thing downloaded by the time the game is actually made playable, and not have to wait untill then to begin downloading.

Then again, I could be completely wrong - I'm not a big Steam user.
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:13 am

The Steam release of Darwinia was over a year after its initial release. He was talking about boxed copies of Darwinia sent out to those who preordered the very first run of the game.

Oh, and quit posting these crappy threads to quench your anticipation. I can't wait for the Wii, but I'm not spamming the Nintendo forums. If I was a moderator, I would lock this thread. You're only adding to the proliferation of threads that spawn from some peoples bordom from lack of anything else to do.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 am

Leonaken wrote:Oh, and quit posting these crappy threads to quench your anticipation. I can't wait for the Wii, but I'm not spamming the Nintendo forums. If I was a moderator, I would lock this thread.
Strangely enough, as heavily moderated as the Nintendo Forums are, I doubt such a thread would be locked, unless it became "spammy".
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:27 am

Incidentally, I really doubt that Defcon will be preloadable through Steam.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:31 am

WNivek wrote:
Hmuda wrote:
I think he's referring to Steam - If I recall, some titles become available for download before actual release, so you can already have the whole thing downloaded by the time the game is actually made playable, and not have to wait untill then to begin downloading.

I know he was refering to Steam as that is the only thing I currently know of that allows preloading of games. But since we were talking about the IV store and not Steam, I thought that it might be a good idea to tell him where he went wrong before we go into a massive misunderstanding.
WNivek
level2
level2
Location: New Jersey, USA From liquid death to cinnamon toast!

Postby WNivek » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Hmuda wrote:
WNivek wrote:I think he's referring to Steam - If I recall, some titles become available for download before actual release, so you can already have the whole thing downloaded by the time the game is actually made playable, and not have to wait untill then to begin downloading.

I know he was refering to Steam as that is the only thing I currently know of that allows preloading of games. But since we were talking about the IV store and not Steam, I thought that it might be a good idea to tell him where he went wrong before we go into a massive misunderstanding.

Ah, alright.

... wow, my first and second posts on these forums, and they're almost entirely useless. Not a good start.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:42 pm

WNivek wrote:
Hmuda wrote:
WNivek wrote:I think he's referring to Steam - If I recall, some titles become available for download before actual release, so you can already have the whole thing downloaded by the time the game is actually made playable, and not have to wait untill then to begin downloading.

Ah, alright.

... wow, my first and second posts on these forums, and they're almost entirely useless. Not a good start.

Don't worry. Just look at xander. He's got about 785 posts, and I can't even begin to speculate on how useful each one is ;)

NeoThermic

Return to “General”