DEFCON on Netbook?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

psyclog
level1
level1

DEFCON on Netbook?

Postby psyclog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I am thinking about buying a netbook, and would like to play DEFCON on it.

Will this be possible?

If the Netbook runs Windows 7:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=7104

Netbooks don't really have a dedicated graphics processor, right? So will I be able to get good open GL drivers for it, or would I be stuck?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 pm

There are three main obstacles:
- the screen resolution. The UI isn't really made to work well with anything below 800x600, so you don't want to get one of the super-low-res ones.
- the graphics driver. This isn't a big one as long as you install a proper one, there just has been trouble with smoothed lines in the past on Intel chips, disabling them helped.
- no mouse. I personally find it impossible to play fast games on any form of laptop mouse surrogate. Not so much a problem against the AI, of course.

Just carry a DEFCON installation on an USB stick into the store. If they're interested in selling you something, they'll let you take it for a test run.

And no, netbooks do have a dedicated graphics processor. It's just not as powerful as others.
psyclog
level1
level1

Postby psyclog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 am

Allright I was thinking about something like HP MINI 5102

Current Netbooks are way beyond 800x600, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 is the state of the art graphics chip.
If I googled correctly, OpenGL support should be back on track for these new chips.

Guess it should work, and thanks for the reply!

Now if I could only decide whether to go for the 400€ HP netbook or the 300€ no-name netbook.
The latter has only 1024 x 600 (compared to 1366 x 768) and only 1GB RAM (compared to 2GB), but a 3 year warranty (compared to only 1 year, which is kinda lame).

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”