Rebinding keys

Anything and everything about our LIDAR cave explorer.
Spidercrusher
level0

Rebinding keys

Postby Spidercrusher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi

Is there a way to rebind the keys for Scanner Sombre? I couldn't find it neither in the in-game settings nor as a config option in the game files.
The default QWERTY layout can be quite annoying as a user of an AZERTY keyboard, so the ability to rebind the keys would be really handy :)

Cheers
Spidercrusher
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: Rebinding keys

Postby VoiD88 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:06 am

They never added an option to rebind keys for Prison Architect either, despite many protests from AZERTY users. So don't hold your breath.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Their older games all allowed it. They should know better.
There must be a keyboard binding file somewhere.
I'm gonna look for it.
psychophrenes
level0

Postby psychophrenes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Jazz Ad wrote:I'm gonna look for it.

Please let me know if you find anything, I'm doing the same.
Spidercrusher
level0

Postby Spidercrusher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:17 pm

VoiD88 wrote:They never added an option to rebind keys for Prison Architect either, despite many protests from AZERTY users. So don't hold your breath.

That's unfortunate. I can't remember having this issue myself while playing prison architect, but I never played that much of the escape mode (maybe because of this?), and the rest of the game is perfectly playable only using a mouse.

Jazz Ad wrote:There must be a keyboard binding file somewhere.
I'm gonna look for it.

I would be happy if you can find it :)
psychophrenes
level0

Postby psychophrenes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Actually I figured it out.

It's a bit messy, but seems to work. For anyone else looking for the info:
- In your game folder, look for \Scanner Sombre\scanner sombre_Data\globalgamemanagers
- Make a backup of that file
- Open that file in a text editor. (I used Notepad++) You should see a bunch of unreadable stuff, but also some readable bits.
- Between lines 9 and 17, there's a list of commands with their related key bindings.
E.g. Line 10:
Horizontal  left right  a  d

- Just replace 'a' by 'q'
- The three entries I had to modify: Horizontal, Vertical and Zoom

I'll update if I find issues or other entries to modify.

Edit: worked like a charm, no other changes needed.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 am

Thank you very much psychophrenes.

I stumbled on this file yesterday and it didn't work for me, every time I tried to edit the game crashed.
Since it solved the issue for you, I thought I'd give it another try and it worked.

Here is the thing. The program is VERY sensitive to file formatting. My mistake was using Wordpad as usual and whatever it does to the file makes the exe crash. Same for Notepad, it ain't enough.
I tried again with Emacs and it worked just fine.

I don't understand why Introversion would cut corners on such a simple feature as key binding edition. It cuts them from thousands of potential customers who will just return the game when they realize the controls don't fit their keyboard.
Spidercrusher
level0

Postby Spidercrusher » Mon May 01, 2017 10:25 am

@psychophrenes Thank you, it works flawlessly!

I also did think of an alternative work-around: changing the keyboard input so your pc thinks a keyboard with a different layout is connected. Big downside is you have to remember to change it back afterwards each time
olsnonyme
level0

Postby olsnonyme » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:15 am

Hello,

I can't find a similar trick for MacOs. I really seems that this port was botch even using Unity.
Any ideas?
kabucha
level2
level2

Postby kabucha » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Hi all. I recently decided to get myself a new MacBook and I really wanted it to serve me as long as possible. To do this, I started reading various information on the Internet about how to extend the life of a MacBook and came across this interesting article about the universal desktop keyboard cover https://www.keyturepro.com/ultimate-guide-keyboard-cover. Before that, I had never heard of such keyboard covers, and as a result, they turned out to be quite useful, because thanks to them, the MacBook keyboard will not be scratched and various crumbs and the like will not get inside it.

Return to “Scanner Sombre”