Chemical Warfare

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ForTheRepublic
level0

Chemical Warfare

Postby ForTheRepublic » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm

While waiting for a game, I notice that one of "backscreen" thingy notes that there are more "possible scenarios". The one i am most interested in is the "chemical warfare" one. Is there a mod or something that lets me play some chemical warfare? Because i need a break off of the thermonuclear war, and a chemical war would be a great way.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:39 pm

There is no "chemical warfare" mode in Defcon. That text is a reference to the movie Wargames (I believe).

xander
ForTheRepublic
level0

Postby ForTheRepublic » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 pm

I know that, a bit, but is there a mod?
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:46 pm

You can change parts of the game to resemble chemical warfare, but I'm not sure it would be a huge change.

Basically, instead of launching nukes you are launching missiles that disperse chemical agents. A few language modifications, redoing the nuke explosion.bmp to resemble some kind of gas-cloud and you're away. However, I'm not sure how satisfying this would be for you.

Modding defcon is graphical only and you cannot mod the physics of the game. There aren't any (as far as I am aware) games that feature chemical or biological warfare as a fundamental gameplay aspect. Simply people don't even want to think about the consequences of such actions.

Have a look in the mods section, pretty sure theres nothing along these lines though.
ForTheRepublic
level0

Postby ForTheRepublic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:33 am

okay, thanks.
jamo
level2
level2

Postby jamo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 pm

You can download my master explosion pack... If you are not satisfied from the explosions I can make you newer explosions :)
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 am

I've just been reading HG Wells' 'The Shape of Things to Come' - a book written not long before the 2nd world war that attempted to predict the next couple of hundred years of history. He saw the war coming but massively under-estimated the Nazis (in his version WW2 begins with the Poles invading Germany). Although he doesn't see nukes coming, he expects chemical weapons to advance to a level that approaches them for nastiness and devastation. He lists a few different gasses that kill people in various unpleasant ways but the worst is his 'permanent death gas' - actually a fine dust dropped from planes that kills everything in the area attacked and persists for decades. It gets thrown around pretty widely as armies try to deny each other whole cities and hundreds of miles countryside.

Can't help wondering what global chemical warfare would really be like.

Return to “Think Tank”