Campaign Mode

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Campaign Mode

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I read GameStop's review on DEFCON and it give it a solid 8.1 (not bad though) :) . But one of its downsides of DEFCON (according to GameStop) is that there is no Campaign mode. So you DEFCON fans out there! Give me your best ideas for a Campaign mode that actually makes DEFCON exciting!

And if we can make a good storyline, I can ask Chris to add a storyline to DEFCON.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 am

GameStop is wrong.

xander
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:38 am

But at the least we need a campaign mode. A storyline to fit in with DEFCON.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:44 am

So, umm, what would be in the first mission after the Tutorial Level destroyed all life as we know it? [size=0]Yeah, you can pull the "It was all just a simulation!" trick here, but only once.[/size]
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 am

How about an air attack on Turtlehausen?

runs to duck and cover
xander
level5
level5

Re: Campaign Mode

Postby xander » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Admiral Yoshi wrote:But one of its downsides of DEFCON (according to GameStop) is that there is no Campaign mode.

xander wrote:GameStop is wrong.

Defcon does not need a campaign mode any more than chess needs a campaign mode.

xander
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Well, most chess games do have a campaign mode :P It's called "Tournament" or something.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:38 pm

rus|Mike wrote:Well, most chess games do have a campaign mode :P It's called "Tournament" or something.

Those are not really a campaign mode in the sense suggested above. However, if you are going to argue that they are, then are not the ongoing tournaments that, for instance, Ace administers?

xander
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Most games if not all games have campaign modes. I move that DEFCON needs a campaign mode!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:08 am

Most games, if not all games, are flash games. I move that Defcon should be rewritten in flash.

In other news, argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy. Please don't attempt to argue that because everyone else is providing campaign modes, Defcon should, too. Defcon is an excellent game. It stands on its own pretty well. The core gameplay is multiplayer, and the AI is good enough to be entertaining if other players can't be found (note: I suck at Defcon. The AI may not be good enough for higher level players. But other AIs are in the works.). Defcon does not need a campaign mode. Moreover, even if Defcon did need a campaign mode, IV have moved on to other projects. They are not going to be creating a campaign mode. And the source code is still not publicly available. Until the source is available, a campaign mode is not going to happen.

xander
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 am

Thought of this a while back: Instead of a campain mode the community could make pre-recorded setups, where you play vs one or more CPU players. example: You play as NA vs CPU EU + CPU RUSSIA, the CPU would have a combined silo setup. The idea is to fill the gap where the tutorial leaves you and what decent multiplayer game demands from you.
There are a lot of variables to play with (score mode, worldscale and so on) and you can even mod the AI-nodes to influence CPU behavior for a wide range of difficulty levels.
But the drawback is, cause a setup is fixed, you probably would only play it until you beaten it once, while the creator would have to put a lot of work into it.
Yes, thats my idea, and I am not attempting to do it.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 pm

xander wrote:Those are not really a campaign mode in the sense suggested above. However, if you are going to argue that they are, then are not the ongoing tournaments that, for instance, Ace administers?

Campaign is a series of games against CPU. So I'd say tourney is a campaign of sort. And Ace's tourney isn't, because it's not agtainst CPU.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Team Fortress 2 has no campaign! Counter-Strike Source has no campaign! Day of Defeat (Source!) has no campaign! And yet VALVe is (arguably) one of the most successful gaming developers out there.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Good you are mentioning Valve, cause I read the topic as "Camping Mode".
Suremposelve
level1
level1

Re: Campaign Mode

Postby Suremposelve » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:08 am

Admiral Yoshi wrote:I read GameStop's review on DEFCON and it give it a solid 8.1 (not bad though) :) . But one of its downsides of DEFCON (according to GameStop) is that there is no Campaign mode. So you DEFCON fans out there! Give me your best ideas for a Campaign mode that actually makes DEFCON exciting!

And if we can make a good storyline, I can ask Chris to add a storyline to DEFCON.

Hello. If you add a company mode to cs go, it will be at least strange, because the game has always been built on multiplayer. I still play it to this day. I also have a hobby in the form of collecting skins. In order to get the best of them, I open best csgo cases. It's a fun activity, you can even make some money selling skins.

Return to “Think Tank”