Round World - Faster speed at higher latitudes

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

thecatonthemat
level0

Round World - Faster speed at higher latitudes

Postby thecatonthemat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 am

I have a quick suggestion to be made, Sorry if it’s already been suggested. As far as I know, things move at the same speed no matter what latitude you are at. This means a bomber flying around the arctic circle will take the same time as a bomber flying around the equator.

I’m proposing that units move faster depending on their latitude. I’m not sure if this can be coded or not, but it’s a suggestion.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:16 am

It has been suggested a lot already, and the general response to this and other realism suggestions is 'Defcon is not meant to be a simulation'. For the purpose of this game, the world is a cylinder.
Eagle1_Division
level0

Postby Eagle1_Division » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 am

It's an issue that's also bugged me, there is a certain point to defcon not being a simulator, but it's really more of an excuse for saying it's not possible to mod. There's a host of side effects of this realism, though.

I'm actually looking at the idea right now for my own persuits... But anyhow, if you did it realistically, with the increased east/west speed at higher latitudes as a function of Sin(x) rather than linear, the quickest path inbetween two points actually becomes an arc at different latitudes, with the arcs being most extreme at 45* North and 45* South, nonexistant at the equator, and nearly flat at the poles (correct me if I'm wrong.). Everything moving on the earth's surface would arc like the missiles do in Defcon, except for the arcs being more extreme at different latitudes as I just mentioned, and would curve south whenever south of the equator. This is spherical geometry (I need king Leonidous to say that...), there will be no straight paths, except at the equator, or travelling perfectly north or south.

Really neat real-world application: If you fly from Atlanta (Georgia, USA) to Paris (you should know), you'd fly over Iceland on the way. I'm saying that second-hand.

Return to “Think Tank”